Sick clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

I'm getting a bit frustrated. My poor mum is having chemotherapy at the moment, and I'm really worried about catching bugs that I could potentially pass on to her, because we have been well warned that these things can spiral out of control for chemo patients and can be very serious.

I'm a freelance therapist, and I have mentioned a few times to clients that it's important that I don't catch anything because it could be very harmful to my mum...But it seems to go in one ear and out the other. That's now three occasions I have caught bugs off my clients over the past 3 months, and I've had to avoid seeing my mum, and I've missed out on doing a lot of things for her. Nobody seems to listen though.

On one occasion, I caught a cold type thing, and mentioned at the time I hope I don't catch it etc... Then when I returned to see them for their next appointment they had a sick child staying at their house, and didn't feel the need to warn me. And it's not that they didn't know how serious it can become, it's just like sme people genuinely don't care.

This client lives over an hour away from me so I wasn't about to turn away and drive home but it's really frustrating me now. I pretty much mention it every time I see people but they never mention anything to me, until I turn up and they are coughing all over me.

Do I have to start checking if people or ill before I confirm their appointment?? Has anyone else been in this situation before? Or should I maybe post on my business facebook can all clients please let me know if your unwell?

I guess I feel a bit weird about it, like I'm genuinely really caring towards all of my clients, but some of them really don't care about my mums situation. I know they are clients and not friends so that's silly for me to even say but I'm just feeling really irritated with it all now. I don't want to have to cancel seeing my mum and helping her for the above reasons :(

I'd like to know if anyone else has been through anything like this?

Oh this is terrible. I have two clients who are currently undergoing chemo and I wouldn't dream of showing up with even the slightest sniffle.

I know its a pain but for your mum's sake could you call your next client a few hours before you're due to arrive and explain about your mum and ask if they're suffering with any colds/bugs etc. I'm sure if you were to explain how important it is, they wouldn't lie to you and would own up.

Oh dear, I can understand why you'd be getting frustrated at them. It hasn't happened personally but I do hate it when people tell me they've got a cold and I'm sat doing their nails or something!

I agree that you could post something on your Facebook in a polite manner just saying you'd like to remind clients to let you know if they are unwell. Best wishes to you and your mum x

Maybe send a text the day before to the next days clients? At least then you could be honest about how serious it is xx

The sad thing is nobody realises how important and serious this is until they have a loved one undergoing chemotherapy and they don't think their cold is that big a deal.

You will need to stress to them how dangerous it is for you to be around colds and sickness bugs, and I think calling them the day before or prior to an appointment is going to have to be the way forward for you. If you lose a couple of clients through this then so be it, time with your mother is far more valuable, as is her full recovery through this arduous treatment.

I had the same situation when a loved one underwent chemo, although I was part time and salon based and had clients coming to me. As I was living in the same house and being the primary carer it was absolutely essential I did not bring any germs home. My clients were wonderful and did change appointments if feeling unwell, and all understood when I eventually stopped work for several months.

I am sure you will have a lot of compassionate thoughtful clients too that just need it stressed to them how important this is for you and your mum and confirmation calls will soon become the normal practise after a while.

Regarding the client who has done this to you twice though, if she is ever ill when you arrive again I would have no compunction but to pack up and leave, she would get the message then.

Stay strong.

I can empathise with this. It never fails to amaze/appall me that people think it's ok to have their treatment even though it may effect someone else's wellbeing.

There are some stupid and selfish people out there and I have a zero tolerance to people who want to have a treatment when unwell. When in employed roles I've not always had the choice as to whether to give a treatment or not and it makes me livid that people are so tactless.

If I turned up to someone's house who was ill I'd turn round and go home.

Agree with whats been said, I havent got anything to add but wanted to pass on good wishes to you and your mum.

Def do the facebook thing. I send reminder texts to all my clients the day before, if you do this you could maybe add a line to say you are unable to carry out treatments if they are ill, or maybe please remember I am unable to carry out treatments if you are ill, implying that they should have remembered. xx

Latest posts

Back