Silk Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lily said:
Hiya,

I dont think its a shortcut or an easy wasy out, if it reduces natural nail damage whats the problem, although no damage should be made! When i have done courses with Creative and other companies where i had to use a tip every one of the educators told me to pre-blend a tip. to be honest though since havin a 1-2-1 session with GMG i much prefer to sculpt and only use tips if i have to!

Amanda
It is fine to take some of the shortcuts AFTER learning the initial basic skills. This is my point. The original poster was a complete beginner.

You answered your own point ... no nail damage should be done, but it would be if the person had never learned the basic skill of tip blending and then was faced with having to do it.

They do not teach beginners at the Creative Nail Academy to cut out the wells of tips. That comes much later and it is not a suitable technique for all nail types. It is no surprise that 'other' nail companies teach all the short cuts. It is demonstrated everyday by hundreds of nail technicians around the country in their lack of basic skills.

Most good technicians prefer to sculpt but again, even that is not a suitable technique for every client and is also an advanced skill, and not for the complete beginner. Some are taught sculpting from the beginning (I was) but it is a harder road for the student in my opinion.

My job is to help ordinary technicians become great technicians. They won't get there with only short-cut methods.

Why dont they teach Beginners at the Creative Nail Academy to cut out the well area of tips? I dont understand, why would you not do this..could you explain?

As you know I got taught by Star Nails and we were taught from day one to cut the well area out and to preblend, however on my college course the tutor beleived it best to leave the full well area to give it strenght which I believe is the opposite as its the product that gives strenght and more on nail means more strength so more tip means less...

feel free to tell me if im being dumb but is it not a little easier to get half well tips instead of full well then you dont have to cut them down?

It is Zaza but it you cut them down anway I tend to to find half well tips still need tayloring...so I find I buy the full well so I can use them for nail art - Personally I feel they look better, and it means I dont have to buy any other type of tips...hope this makes sence

Fab Freak said:
Why dont they teach Beginners at the Creative Nail Academy to cut out the well area of tips? I dont understand, why would you not do this..could you explain?

As you know I got taught by Star Nails and we were taught from day one to cut the well area out and to preblend, however on my college course the tutor beleived it best to leave the full well area to give it strenght which I believe is the opposite as its the product that gives strenght and more on nail means more strength so more tip means less...
Maybe we are at cross purposes here.

I am talking about teaching a new student the practice of cutting out all of the well area of the tip so that it matches the length of the free edge, pre blending and then applying it ... like a french tip.

Although this is a perfectly good way to apply tips if there is a free edge to apply it to, I believe it is essential for beginners to practice and learn how to blend in a full (as long as it doesn't cover more than half the nail plate) or half well tip without causing nail plate damage.

The original poster (a student) on this topic was complaining about blending tips and my point is that it is necessary to learn how to blend tips correctly even if you don't like it and your arm is aching. The short cuts can come later. It is no good learning the short cuts before learning any skill because sometimes you need those skills.

I hope I have made myself clear.

Hi its Trudi i was the one who put the question on here and my tutor makes us put tips on and then file them down and talkin about nail damage you want to see my nail!! it has a big dent in it from file burning i will try and take pic of it and show you.Maybe i should just do the filing down and learn how to get that right and then later pre tailor a tip

Trudi said:
Hi its Trudi i was the one who put the question on here and my tutor makes us put tips on and then file them down and talkin about nail damage you want to see my nail!! it has a big dent in it from file burning i will try and take pic of it and show you.Maybe i should just do the filing down and learn how to get that right and then later pre tailor a tip
Well Trudi, at least you seem to have understood my point and taken it on board.

Tip blending is a skill and tips have to be blended with care and attention to avoid the sort of nail you now have. This sort of damage does not have to occur if blending is done skillfully. Learn how to do it and be patient. You won't do it in 10 minutes the first time or even the 10th time. But you get quicker when you have a method (look at the tutorial) and when you learn how to use your abrasive and to hold it (look at the tutorial). These are all things your tutor should be teaching you.
A great technician works like a machine always doing the same thing and in the same method ... this comes eventually. Nails is not an easy skill to acquire ... those that think it is will be very dissappointed or end up doing pretty dreadful nails.
Be a perfectionist in all things picking up one skill at a time as you go along. Don't try to do everything quick quick quick ... its not about being quick it is about beingperfect and doing beautiful work you can be proud of. x

Hi,

Gigi - In your opinion what are the best tips to buy for easier blending?

I do believe the Velocity tip blends faster than any tip I have ever tried. I guess that is why it was named velocity!! It is a Creative tip and I have never seen the need to search for a faster tip to blend.

It also aids blending when you use PINK GelBond or pink adhesive to adhere the tip to the nail plate. It completely gets rid of the 'grey' look sometimes seen when normal 'clear' adhesives are used, which we then try to blend through so we can see the pink of the nailbed. This further blending is not necessary when you use Pink GelBond. It gives a very pretty even look.

Thanks for all your advicexx

please feel free to say if im having a dumb moment but is it not easier to get half well tips instead of full well, then you dont have to cut them or are they not as good quality?
zoe

zaza said:
please feel free to say if im having a dumb moment but is it not easier to get half well tips instead of full well, then you dont have to cut them or are they not as good quality?
zoe
The half well tip will be fine for 90% of clients , but even those need adjusting from time to time so it is '6 of one and half a dozen of the other'. I have both types just in case.

I have always found that one type of tip is not enough if I want to get the best fit for many different individual clients. There are differences in 'c' curve as well as different clients have different needs. It is good to have several different choices for the times you need them.

Speaking as a Fibreglass Technician...........
Being able to blend a tip without causing nail plate damage is a must...........
Not every client will have even nails...like Gigi said some clients will have a problem nail that will need the structure of a full well tip.........

How would you fit a tip to a nail like this,
311ca.jpg

to make it look like this
311c9.jpg

A full well tip, saddled , gelbonded and blended..........

Knowing how to blend a tip is like knowing how to reverse a car into a parking space...........even though you can drive forwards into a parking space, somethime reversing in to it, is the better way of doing it..or the only way because of lack of space........
Just like blending, sometimes you just have to know how to do it, because it is the only option!!!!!

Blending a tip is a skill that is highly under rated by a lot of Technicians and sadly tutors, that feel that blending skills are a thing of the past because reduced well tips are a available or because they just haven't got the time to include it into their classes.........

When using a resin system like Fabric#, Star, Millennium or any other , applying resin to base a nail before tipping, is not just for the prevention of nail damage, it also provides a good strong bond........it makes both sides attractive to each other and then they are like magnets............

Just my 2 pennies worth on this.......

Latest posts

Back