Silver/grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren121

Reaction score
Hi all I am currently trying to achieve the silver grey hair look on myself. I was a base 7 on my roots so I used bleach and 3%/10 vol to lighten them up they are now a white blonde colour. With my ends it was highlighted blonde but split up with lowlights of a base 8 with this I used the rest of the bleach I used for my roots but added shampoo and water to use as a bleach bath. My finished result was a blonde with some orangey tones throught the middle section of my hair. To try and tone them down I used s shop bought silver shampoo as I didn't have any of the joico Range which I usually use. I am going to alan Howard's on Monday but unsure of which colours to go with I use wella koleston and have used alfaparf in my old salon (I know you can't get them from salon centre) I like the look of the special mix 0/81 but am I better of using this with a 12/81 or just on its own as I have slight orange tones to the mid lengths for about 2 inches. My hair is shoulder length at the moment and I don't really want to be touching the ends with bleach if I can helpit.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

This post sounds like something an amatuer with a little bit of product knowledge gleaned from here and there would make, not a dilemma a qualified stylist would face.

A professional would know that the formula you applied to the mids and ends was incorrect and that the application was inappropriate .

Last edited:
I have the full correct NVQs required may not of been on more courses to update my knowledge as the styles have changed since I finished working in a professional salon. I used the bleach bath as my hair is naturally quiet dry and that still needed to be lifted lighter. I have done this process before and always got the outcome I desired. What I have done isn't the question I'm asking it's about the koleston special mix that I am after somone answering as I know from previous experience most staff at salon centres don't have the experience or training needed to advice people

But thank you for your opinion on that I am not a stylist up to your standards

So you want to know if highlift will tone your prelightened, then lowlighted hair?

May i ask exactly what you are hoping to achieve?

If you want to tone the orange, then why aren't you using a product that would be appropriate to tone with?

Or are you hoping to lift the prelightened, lowlighted hair with a highlift tint?

My final outcome would be the silvery/grey style that is popular at the moment the wells colour 0/81 is a special mix so I am asking wether applying this will get the silvery grey colour on its own or wether it's better to mix it with a base colour as well. The overall base of my hair is what I want it to be at it just has the different tones going through it so would it be better to mix the 0/81 with say a flat 10 or a 10/1 10/81 as I'm now thinking that base would be better with a 6% as wella doesn't use 3%

Do you know how to tone with with wella koleston perfect?

I haven't toned with wella before as that's why I am asking when I worked in the salon I used alfaparf as to why I am asking people with more wella knowledge than me.....

Would toning with a level ten in the color house you use neautalize orange?

Tell me how youd deal with this in your color house and I'll tell you how to do it with wella. Deal? Formula and application.

Last edited:
I would use a alfaparf 10.21 with 3% it would take the base colour I would want to achieve a little darker than what I would want but would neutralise the tones. I would apply damp towel dried hair as the only time I've needed to tone before is after highlighting processes from darkened hair timing would also be monitored and strand checking would take place. I have been out of the salon practice for a couple of years and haven't had time to do refresher courses, as I did when I was in the job, around my current job so I am sorry if to you I sound like an unprofessional.

I understood.

Koleston perfect (and illumina) uses pastel developer mixed 1 part tint to 2 parts developer. Visual development as you described. So lets be specific about what you want to achieve. (Or i can't really give you the perfect formula for this) btw, this particular shade has been experminted and debated by the most talented geeks in a thread called granny gray.

So what level is your new growth? Is it a clean 10? Or a 9 or what?

What level is the light part of your mids and ends? What kind of condition is the hair? What's the porosity like?

What level is the orange? A 7, an 8? Or is it even darker?

See, you need to address all of these factors. If you just use one formula on three different colors of hair? What will you get? If your formula is dark enough to neautraluze the orange, you'll have neutral lowlights all through tour gray hair.

I also know I have to use a blue/violet toner but unsure as the .81 will be the correct tone but I want to achieve the colour of 0/81 on the colour chart as my finished result

B
I also know I have to use a blue/violet toner but unsure as the .81 will be the correct tone but I want to achieve the colour of 0/81 on the colour chart as my finished result

But you know that swatch is meaningless! It all depends on what your starting point is.

/81 Is blue ash. Not blue violet. /86 is blue violet. You still need to answer my question and we must determine what color line to use.

In order to achieve what you want you need a clean level 10 base. Most tone to elimante the yellow before applying the desired shade.

I have no new growth as I pre lightened this using bleach and 3% so that I would say is a base 12 ends are lighter than a 12 and the mids where it has the orangey tones I would say is a base of a 10 porosity of my hair used to be quite bad as I was bleach blonde from being 16 but the ends haven't been touched with colour in over a year as I went for a root fade to match my natural which is a 7. I use a deep conditioning treatment every month so I would like to think the porosity is a lot better than it used to be. The ends are in need of a trim as was last done I'd say 8 weeks ago. As long as the base colour isn't orangey I am not too bothered about it having lighter pieces going through it or vice versa just as long as the tone is what I need before I can achieve the grey/silver look I'm after.

Thanks I will have a search for that topic.

What your saying isn't possible. An oragnge level 10 is dubious but possible i suppose. But there is no level 12 and there certainly is nothing lighter than a level 12. I'm sorry but I'm done.

This post sounds like something an amatuer with a little bit of product knowledge gleaned from here and there would make, not a dilemma a qualified stylist would face.

A professional would know that the formula you applied to the mids and ends was incorrect and that the application was inappropriate .

You seem to be quite rude to a lot of people on here...

What I'm saying is if you was looking at a colour chart I am comparing the colour I have on my head to the colours on there the ends are white blonde which wouldn't be achieve able with a highlift colour only bleach

You seem to be quite rude to a lot of people on here...
What I'm being is honest!

I can also be helpful, kind, supportive, and encouraging. The problem is that the posters your accusung me of being rude to either don't know what they are doing or are incapable of communicating.

Latest posts

Back