Silver/grey hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I'm saying is if you was looking at a colour chart I am comparing the colour I have on my head to the colours on there the ends are white blonde which wouldn't be achieve able with a highlift colour only bleach

But that's not how pros talk about color!

And as I have said in previous posts I have been out of a salon for a few years and things have changed so much

I've been doing this since the late 90's the levels haven't changed. Highlift isn't used to tone, /81 was never blue violet etc.

I never once said it was blue violet I was asking wether that would be the correct colour to use. Yes but I'm guessing you work in a salon now and go on regular courses? My experiences with blondes has never been a bad experience and everything has always gone smoothly as to why I've come to ask people that have a lot more experience in this department than me not to get critisied. I appreciate your responses there is just ways of saying things. Not one hairdresser would be where they are today if they didn't experience things they aren't used to and got guided in the correct way by colleagues, friends or places like this where people come for help.

I understood.

Koleston perfect (and illumina) uses pastel developer mixed 1 part tint to 2 parts developer. Visual development as you described. So lets be specific about what you want to achieve. (Or i can't really give you the perfect formula for this) btw, this particular shade has been experminted and debated by the most talented geeks in a thread called granny gray.

So what level is your new growth? Is it a clean 10? Or a 9 or what?

What level is the light part of your mids and ends? What kind of condition is the hair? What's the porosity like?

What level is the orange? A 7, an 8? Or is it even darker?

See, you need to address all of these factors. If you just use one formula on three different colors of hair? What will you get? If your formula is dark enough to neautraluze the orange, you'll have neutral lowlights all through tour gray hair.

To the op. This is what you need to re read.

Hi all I am currently trying to achieve the silver grey hair look on myself. I was a base 7 on my roots so I used bleach and 3%/10 vol to lighten them up they are now a white blonde colour. With my ends it was highlighted blonde but split up with lowlights of a base 8 with this I used the rest of the bleach I used for my roots but added shampoo and water to use as a bleach bath. My finished result was a blonde with some orangey tones throught the middle section of my hair. To try and tone them down I used s shop bought silver shampoo as I didn't have any of the joico Range which I usually use. I am going to alan Howard's on Monday but unsure of which colours to go with I use wella koleston and have used alfaparf in my old salon (I know you can't get them from salon centre) I like the look of the special mix 0/81 but am I better of using this with a 12/81 or just on its own as I have slight orange tones to the mid lengths for about 2 inches. My hair is shoulder length at the moment and I don't really want to be touching the ends with bleach if I can helpit.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
You need to address your 'canvas' first and foremost. You need to bring the entire head up to and even pale yellow for best results - now you do this is up to you and what you feel comfortable with. I would go through and either paint lightener on any darker sections or do a compact back to back foil and weave out all the orange and bring it up to pale yellow.

As you know, you cannot tone orange or gold to the silver shade your wanting so addressing this first is your priority.

Once you've done this, you can then decide on your toner- there are many ways and formulas to choose from. Perhaps something like CT 10/6+8/81 1:1 with a dot of 2/0.

As a side note, I understand the important of ensuring we only provide technical assistance to professionals but there is no need to be rude or condescending to people. If you don't want to help or suspect someone isn't experienced enough to do the work their asking for assistance with, then don't participate in the thread- it's really quite simple.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply! I know I can't do it all in one step, would make my life easier if I could! got all of tomorrow to decide which way to go first. I struggle to do weave foils on myself although I have done it in the past. Thank you for your reply x

I ended up bleaching out the Orange band got it up to a buttery yellow put 10/69 illumina on it and left it on longer than I would on a normal client as I wanted the more silvery look. Not got the colour I want to be (not as intense as I would of wanted) but love the colour I am at at the moment! Wouldn't of done any of this process on a client but as it was on myself I always think my hair is invincible!

8/69 next time. You'll love it.

Latest posts

Back