Since when did OPI do home gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzawilson

Reaction score
You will always get the 'messers' who think they can get a professional service at home with a consumer product, they won't. The same kind of people who buy fake shellac off e-bay etc..

These people aren't professionals and don't have the knowledge or experience most of the techs on here have, no doubt their attempts will lead to service breakdown or damage from poor removal, let them waste their time and money.

On the other hand, you will always have people willing to pay for a quality service from a professional with knowledge, these are the people who want to be pampered and receive the most out of their treatment.
Concentrate on these people and forget the others.

Hth

It was always going to happen with gel polishes!! Didn't you guess? Some have been doing it for almost a year now. Have you not been aware? OPI have been undercutting the pros for years on QVC.

You will not see Shellac in the high street or in the low street. CND support the professional and always have.

Last edited:
Well for that price you might as well get one of those kits from Argos - you'll save yourself a small fortune and likely be able to do just as much damage to your nails. A company like OPI should know better!

A company like OPI should know better!

They do know better, they just want the money more than they want professional customers i quess...:(((

It wasn't thins brand - but I saw some home gel polish in my local Tesco!!!

I used to use OPI as my choice for nail polish but I phased them out and started using the CND range of polishes for this reason, the last straw for me was when boots started stocking nail envy and a range of there polishes.

My reason for picking Gelcolor in the first place was of the salons and techs in my area all using Shellac, so I wanted to offer an alternative. I must have spent 1k nearly on the kit. I didn't expect them to bring this out, not so soon after the launch of Gelcolor. Just wished my lamp could cure Shellac then I'd change in an instant!
BAD NAUGHTY OPI

What do you expect from a company who sold out to nasty Coty?! All about the money!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I think this complaining about home kits is silly and useless. CND and OPI are very different companies in revenues, size and philosophy. Although both started in the dental industry, they have ventured into nail care in different ways. Both started with a focus on salons, but over a decade ago OPI moved towards the consumer market, where they have become a major force. OPI has been working both sides of the aisle for over 15 years, CND has made nail professionals and cutting edge products for them its focus.

It was almost inevitable that OPI would come out with a gel polish line; it seems everyone has one nowadays. I think it was unrealistic to expect that they would create a product and then exclude 80% of their market (women to don't go to nail techs) from it. What OPI did was to create a professional line in GelColors and a consumer line in GelShine, that way there is limited crossover with consumers using professional products. CND has a situation in which consumers can access and use their professional line.

You may choose to do business with a company that has made and maintains a focus on nail professionals. You may prefer their commitment and service. You may prefer a company with a broader vision and experience from working both ends of the market. Each has its benefits but there is considerable overlap. The fact that CND's president/CEO has moved to OPI as president speaks to that. But ultimately the critical issue remains - access to products is not the key to success. If you cannot provide a better experience and do better with your professional products than a consumer can with home products, it's time to hang up your gel brushes and go home.

It was always going to happen with gel polishes!! Didn't you guess? Some have been doing it for almost a year now. Have you not been aware? OPI have been undercutting the pros for years on QVC.

You will not see Shellac in the high street or in the low street. CND support the professional and always have.

I agree! But I do have a question. I had a client tell me the other day that a CND product (like solar oil or something) was at a Walgreens pharmacy (or maybe CVS). I told her I hadn't heard of that, but I was curious if this was true? She said it was about $4 more expensive. So I just told her they must have purchased them at retail and tacked on a few dollars in order to turn a profit. But I haven't a clue.

I agree! But I do have a question. I had a client tell me the other day that a CND product (like solar oil or something) was at a Walgreens pharmacy (or maybe CVS). I told her I hadn't heard of that, but I was curious if this was true? She said it was about $4 more expensive. So I just told her they must have purchased them at retail and tacked on a few dollars in order to turn a profit. But I haven't a clue.

Although most CND products are professional only, there are a few like Solar Oil that can be bought almost anywhere. I saw Solar Oil at my local Bed Bath and Beyond last month. But that kind of makes sense because it really is a product for consumers to use. And I've only seen the little bottles; I never see the larger bottles of it anywhere but SalonCentric, Cosmo Prof or other pro stores.

I will continue to support CND bc OPI is such a grocery store brand to me. Don't get me wrong.. Love the recent collections (1st ones I've flipped over since 2009) but the fact that CND spear heads the UV color market with their education, range of products, and innovative technology and designs makes me feel completely confident in my choice. I have felt that OPI has been playing catch up since the release if Shellac and I don't plan on putting all of my eggs in their basket any time soon. Especially since they now have a DIY system.

Although most CND products are professional only, there are a few like Solar Oil that can be bought almost anywhere. I saw Solar Oil at my local Bed Bath and Beyond last month. But that kind of makes sense because it really is a product for consumers to use. And I've only seen the little bottles; I never see the larger bottles of it anywhere but SalonCentric, Cosmo Prof or other pro stores.

You know.. It seems like Sally's use to carry these products as well now that I think about (not anymore, tho). Thanks for the answer!! :)

I will continue to support CND bc OPI is such a grocery store brand to me. Don't get me wrong.. Love the recent collections (1st ones I've flipped over since 2009) but the fact that CND spear heads the UV color market with their education, range of products, and innovative technology and designs makes me feel completely confident in my choice. I have felt that OPI has been playing catch up since the release if Shellac and I don't plan on putting all of my eggs in their basket any time soon. Especially since they now have a DIY system.

Yes, I understand. I think it is very much a matter of individual preference. I like CND but my preference is for OPI - it's something I can use both as a consumer and as a professional. Also, I don't think OPI has been playing catch up as much as leapfrogging. But then, I think my view of this is less as a tech than as an industry analyst and I don't have the same sense of brand loyalty as a tech.

You know.. It seems like Sally's use to carry these products as well now that I think about (not anymore, tho). Thanks for the answer!! :)

Not so much an answer (because I don't know) as an observation and theory. What tripped me out was that my local SalonCentric was out of the small Solar Oils and later that day I found a big pile of them at Bed Bath and Beyond! But then I thought if we want people to use it consistently, I guess it ought to be easily available.

I have seen some CND products in my local Meijer. I suspect they are 'black market' products as CND products are never sold to the general public.

But ultimately the critical issue remains - access to products is not the key to success. If you cannot provide a better experience and do better with your professional products than a consumer can with home products, it's time to hang up your gel brushes and go home.[/QUOTE]

Beautifully put NancySyd. ;)

Latest posts

Back