Since when did OPI do home gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this complaining about home kits is silly and useless. CND and OPI are very different companies in revenues, size and philosophy. Although both started in the dental industry, they have ventured into nail care in different ways. Both started with a focus on salons, but over a decade ago OPI moved towards the consumer market, where they have become a major force. OPI has been working both sides of the aisle for over 15 years, CND has made nail professionals and cutting edge products for them its focus.

It was almost inevitable that OPI would come out with a gel polish line; it seems everyone has one nowadays. I think it was unrealistic to expect that they would create a product and then exclude 80% of their market (women to don't go to nail techs) from it. What OPI did was to create a professional line in GelColors and a consumer line in GelShine, that way there is limited crossover with consumers using professional products. CND has a situation in which consumers can access and use their professional line.

You may choose to do business with a company that has made and maintains a focus on nail professionals. You may prefer their commitment and service. You may prefer a company with a broader vision and experience from working both ends of the market. Each has its benefits but there is considerable overlap. The fact that CND's president/CEO has moved to OPI as president speaks to that. But ultimately the critical issue remains - access to products is not the key to success. If you cannot provide a better experience and do better with your professional products than a consumer can with home products, it's time to hang up your gel brushes and go home.

I agree that us pros do have high standards and do amazing nails.
I first trained with OPI in 1992 and ofcourse it has grown so much especially with the retail market. They are not cheap by any standard just annoying when you spend all your hard earned cash with them.
But as you say it's business - no loyalty, just corporate greed.

I agree that us pros do have high standards and do amazing nails.
I first trained with OPI in 1992 and ofcourse it has grown so much especially with the retail market. They are not cheap by any standard just annoying when you spend all your hard earned cash with them.
But as you say it's business - no loyalty, just corporate greed.

That's not what I meant, quite the contrary. Unlike CND, OPI has a commitment to the consumer market and has for many years. Releasing a separate gel polish line for consumers is consistent with their commitment to serving both sectors, so it's not a violation of the company's philosophy. It very wisely created two lines to avoid crossover. CND, on the other hand, is clear that its commitment is to nail professionals, so such an action would be a violation of its corporate philosophy.

Last edited:
That's not what I meant, quite the contrary. Unlike CND, OPI has a commitment to the consumer marker and has for many years. Releasing a separate gel polish line for consumers is consistent with their commitment to serving both sectors, so it's not a violation of the company's philosophy. It very wisely created two lines to avoid crossover. CND, on the other hand, is clear that its commitment is to nail professionals, so such an action would be a violation of its corporate philosophy.
What'sthe excuse for selling pro polishes on QVC then?

That's not what I meant, quite the contrary. Unlike CND, OPI has a commitment to the consumer marker and has for many years. Releasing a separate gel polish line for consumers is consistent with their commitment to serving both sectors, so it's not a violation of the company's philosophy. It very wisely created two lines to avoid crossover. CND, on the other hand, is clear that its commitment is to nail professionals, so such an action would be a violation of its corporate philosophy.

Thanks for clearing that up. Sometimes when you read things they can be read the wrong way.
I just felt the need to blow a little. I've always been of the opinion of being the best I can be, with old fashioned attitude. Lol

I actually contacted Lena White about this Sephora kit.

It is only being sold in the US and not the UK.

Mind you with eBay selling absolutely everything from OPI to CND to every other professional product I doubt it makes much difference.

We just have to rise above it all and rest on our professional training after all think about the non trained and remember the saying you can lead a horse to water and all that :D

Xx

What'sthe excuse for selling pro polishes on QVC then?

Not that OPI needs an excuse, but what do you mean? What OPI pro polishes are sold on QVC?

Not that OPI needs an excuse, but what do you mean? What OPI pro polishes are sold on QVC?

In the UK our Sole Distributor (Lena White) sell OPI polishes directly to the public on QVC, on an ongoing basis and with special 2 hour long programmes to promote special offers etc. This Sole Distributor also has its own retail website where it sells directly to the public.

I have never understood how legally they can be a Sole Distributor and a retailer. They compete with salons they sell to on a very unfair basis i.e. they are the only company in the UK that really buy at a wholesale price. So if I buy from them they make a profit, if they sell directly to the public they make much more profit than I do selling their products. They can easily afford to undercut salon prices and they frequently do. Total joke really and enough for me to stop buying from them.

Latest posts

Back