Skin analysis, finding it confusing help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nenee

Reaction score
Hi there

when we do skin analysis I just find it so difficult especially dehydrated skin, how can i tell if it is? to me it looks the same as dry:o

It gets worse when they can have a combination/dehydrated.

Oily skin is easy to see, but combination sometimes can be difficult to diagnose, I feel really stupid at the mo as I bet this is so easy to do in salons but i seem to be having a mind block and other students feel the same, or does it come with practice:irked:

And sensitive how do i know the skin is that also? Oh so embarrassing:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

any pointers would be really helpful:eek:

Hi Nenee,

Don't be embarrassed ~ we all have to start somewhere! I find that a dry skin will feel almost rough to touch and a dehydrated skin feels a bit softer. If you were to push the skin together with your 2 index fingers a dehydrated skin would 'crinkle' and a dry skin would feel thicker but wouldn't crinckle. Also when you lightly run your fingers over a dehydrated skin, it almost drags a little. You're right, an oily skin is very easy to see and you can actually see the oil on your hands when you touch the skin.

Most skins I have seen are combination because each different area of skin has different problems ~ e.g skin around the eyes and cheeks could be dehydrated, chin could be dry and nose and forehead could be oily!

It does become easier with practice. I find myself analysing everyones skin that I meet ~ even when not at work! I try to work out the different 'zones' of the face and what could be causing it!!!!!! Is it just me that does that or am I some sort of crazy woman that just can't swith off from beauty mode??!! xx

hi ya

thanks for that hun, il try your method for sure, see if i can make sense of it all
cheers

You're welcome. I hope it has helped you. I'm not sure it makes much sense, did you understand what I was babbling on about? xx

i hope so will see when i have a go cross everything:)

People can differ on their diagnosis but from what I have learnt skin can be the following SKIN TYPE:

NORMAL

COMBINATION
of which there are two choices: OILY/NORMAL or DRY/NORMAL

DRY

SENSITIVE coupled with any of the skin types above.

It can become:
SENSITISED (temporary sensitivity as a reaction to an ingredient)
DEHYDRATED (lack of water-skin feels tight especially after cleansing)
PIGMENTED (Light or dark discolouration)
CROSS-LINKED (Lined wrinkled)
These are skin conditions.

SKIN TYPES:
NORMAL
Skin of this will have no obvious skin complaints. People with this skin type can take it for granted so still need advise on how to keep it this way.

OILY or COMBINATION of OILY/NORMAL
Is there an oily shine on the nose/forehead/chin? are the pores in these areas enlarged or congested? ask the client if they get break outs and if they notice an oily shine as the day goes on. If the answer to any of these is yes there are only two possibilities oily or combination oily/normal. If there are large areas free from these things on the cheeks then they are have combination oily/normal skin. If they are widespread it is Oily. Skin of this type will usually still show open and enlarged pores or scaring even if the oil production is balanced.

You will not find someone who has a combination of dry and oily skin as these people are producing enough oil the dryness they may complain of is actually dehydration either due to using too harsh products, washing too much or not moisturising properly. They need to use an oil free moisturiser for dehydrated/oily skin as using one for dry skin which they may think they have will only make the rest of their skin worse.

DRY or COMBINATION of DRY/NORMAL
Dry skin can feel coarse to the touch and is actually very rare. And not all mature people have dry skin. Putting a rich moisturiser on a skin that is not dry can actually cause milia (white fatty lumps under the skin) Pores are tight and skin can look flakey. These clients may also suffer from a dry skin condition on their body. If there are some large areas of the face that are not dry then the client has combination dry/normal skin.

SENSITIVE
Anyone with any of the above skin types can also be sensitive. They can be touch sensitive or product sensitive. These people have not just had a one off allergic reaction. They have a serious physical reaction to a number of ingredients or to touch/heat. Many people think they have sensitive skin but do not. When you explain to them that if their skin is sensitive there are a limited number of treatments you can do for a sensitive skin they usually change their minds about their sensitivity!

You can test for pressure sensitivity by pressing on the skin between the eyebrows and seeing if it stays red. The best thing to do however is to ask the client about any reactions they may have had in the past. You may find someone thinks they are sensitive but it's just they used a product wrong e.g used a kitchen scourer on their face! I have come across a few really sensitive skins and they usually have a high colour before you start the facial and also broken cappilaries.

All skin TYPES can develop skin CONDITIONS.
Skin can become:
sensitised (e.g due to an allergic reaction or with incorrect product use) pigmented (e.g with sun exposure)
Dehydrated (e.g due to incorrect product use, sun exposure
Cross linked (e.g with age and without the correct care-skin care and sun screen)

Hope this is clear but it is quite a complex question I have tried to condense it!:hug:

Hi Nenee,

Don't be embarrassed ~ we all have to start somewhere! I find that a dry skin will feel almost rough to touch and a dehydrated skin feels a bit softer. If you were to push the skin together with your 2 index fingers a dehydrated skin would 'crinkle' and a dry skin would feel thicker but wouldn't crinckle. Also when you lightly run your fingers over a dehydrated skin, it almost drags a little. You're right, an oily skin is very easy to see and you can actually see the oil on your hands when you touch the skin.

Most skins I have seen are combination because each different area of skin has different problems ~ e.g skin around the eyes and cheeks could be dehydrated, chin could be dry and nose and forehead could be oily!

It does become easier with practice. I find myself analysing everyones skin that I meet ~ even when not at work! I try to work out the different 'zones' of the face and what could be causing it!!!!!! Is it just me that does that or am I some sort of crazy woman that just can't swith off from beauty mode??!! xx

Much more condensed and good advise! :)

Hi

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain skin analysis, its fab will sit down and take it in after, I so want to be a high standard therapist like many on this website, I love being a therapist and take pride in what I do, like many of you on here and just hope one day I wil have the knowledge and expertise you all bring here!:hug:

Latest posts

Back