Skin care brands!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CFCJen26

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on daily skin care, will soon be looking into changing the brand that I use as yet again I feel my current one don't do much for my skin. I have tried a large number of brands sold in boots and department stores but looking for a more professional brand to use that don't contain any type of alcohol in any form, no parabins or mineral oils and other nasty additives.
Was thinking of either Elemis or Eve Taylor! and going to get a facial and then get products to use at home from a decent salon.
Currently I use clarins!
I am not over keen on dermelogica as tried them but didn't like how it was on my skin.
So many brands out there and hard to know which ones are actually decent and good for the skin.

I use skin truth atm. The soothing range. I had awful skin since coming off the pill and this has really helped my skin x

Hey! I used to work in cosmetics in various department stores and at the time I worked for Aveda. I cannot fault their products, and still use them to this day, 7 years on. They are a natural skincare brand, so don't contain any parabens, petrochemicals or synthetic fragrances and their ingredients are ethically sourced. Also very good natural brands to try are Origins, Ren - another favourite of mine, Loccitane and Neil's Yard. Xx

Oh forgot to add that Aveda do facials as well. Not sure where you are based but have a look to see if there is an Aveda Salon/Spa near you, I'm sure there will be :) Good luck x

Still can't decide which brand to go with, most the over counter stuff has alcohol in it. Need to find a high quality salon in my area that does Elemis ( although they are pricey but heard they a good) and Eve Taylor are same part company as dermelogica so I heard.
Which facial or salon services would you say would be best. ty

Why not go into your local department store and ask for a sample to try? Explain you have hypersensitive skin. The counters I worked on did complimentary facials so customers could try out the products first. The above brands I have mentioned don't contain alcohol. I don't use any skincare brands that contain nasties either as my skin breaks out easily and I was trained in natural skincare so I tend to stick with natural based brands. Your best bet is to research the brands first on the internet then find out if your nearest salon or spa stock them and offer facials. It's difficult to say which is the best skincare for you as it's all dependent on your skin type and lifestyle however if it's natural you want, then definitely look into Aveda, Origins, Ren and Neil's Yard. Also Green People which is an online company do organic skincare which is lovely, it's so gentle on sensitive skin. xx

Looking for some advice on daily skin care, will soon be looking into changing the brand that I use as yet again I feel my current one don't do much for my skin. I have tried a large number of brands sold in boots and department stores but looking for a more professional brand to use that don't contain any type of alcohol in any form, no parabins or mineral oils and other nasty additives.
Was thinking of either Elemis or Eve Taylor! and going to get a facial and then get products to use at home from a decent salon.
Currently I use clarins!
I am not over keen on dermelogica as tried them but didn't like how it was on my skin.
So many brands out there and hard to know which ones are actually decent and good for the skin.

At Beau Papillon in Sheffield we use Eve Taylor and have some fantastic results!

I use Eve Taylor in my home salon and have a client with severe dermatitis and she loves the ultra soothing cleanser they have. They also do a colloidal oatmeal mask that I don't have in the salon yet but colloidal oatmeal is supposed to be very good.

Currently I use clarins!
You do not say what age range you are in - I am going to suggest what I use. I am over 60 and happily with no visible wrinkles on face, around eyes, but a little just under my chin. Several months ago I decided to take the same steps. I searched the web and came across http://www.monsiaskincare.com/monsia-advanced-skin-renewal-system.html looked on their where to buy page and happily found that they had agents in the UK! I religiously follow their suggested regime, but you can read the overviews, reviews & ingredients for yourself. I hope that this will help you decide.

Last edited:
I have to say elizabeth arden's 8 hour skin range has done wonders for me. Alternatively, I use products from a company called My Blossom. All handmade and completely natural products no alcohol or nasty additives, the woman who makes the products is a trained chemist so is very knowledgeable on this kind of stuff. Their rose soap is lovely. :)

For a professional skincare range, as oppose to something you can buy over the counter, have a look at Environ. If you can find a salon near you, they should offer a complimentary consultation with recommendations for your skin. It will work out considerably cheaper than Elemis as well!
Please don't buy it over the internet as Environ don't authorise it, and you cannot guarantee what you'll be getting!

Vicki x

what area are you in CFCJen? That will help to identify if any of our lovely geeks are in your area also and could maybe help.

I am in the sidcup/bexley area, I recently had an elemis facial which I thought was ok it felt nice and was given some products to use at home. But still I feel like the creams just sit on the surface of my skin and don't sink in and when I next wash my face I feel like I'm washing off the dried products from my skin. I have a lot of melia that I need removing and open blocked pores.

Monsia is an excellent, professional brand of skin care which uses ingredients such as aloe, emu oil, shea butter and hyaluronic acid. Not only is it great for anti-aging, it helps fight and clear skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis as well. It has really helped to balance out my skin and given it a more even tone as well helped to rid of my millia...which was stubborn and extremely embarrassing :( Anyhow, check out their site, good luck!

Don't know if anywhere do facials but liz earl is amaaazing. The hot cloth cleanse and polish is brilliant along with the skin tonic. I couldn't use elemis. It brought me out it lots of water filled spots/blisters. Hth

I'm afraid all you will end up with is lots of anecdotal evidence of " this was great on my skin and this was rubbish".

Don't go into boots and spend loads of money on loads of different skincare. Get a proper consultation from a salon that will put their money where their mouth is and offer you a full refund if you're not happy.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back