Skin care range in small working class towns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
Hi guys

Am looking to set up in the salon I am now renting a room a range of professional skin care products.

The concern I have is that with the expense involved is it worth taking the risk of set up costs of the professional skin care products in a small working class town.

So any geeks out there that have done this in a small working class town? how well did it go? what range have you used? what were the difficulties? what would you recommend.

There are a few competitors in the town - only really one that has a proffesional skin care range of RVB and MD formulations.

I was therefore thinking of Dermalogica, Decleor etc.

The salon at present is mainly - tanning (sun beds mainly and spray tanning), nail enhancements and basic beauty treatments (waxing, eye treatments, pedicures manicures etc).

Plus - have any of you expanded into the mechanical equipment market - e.g microcurrent, microdermabrasion etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Theresa

I think Dermalogica/Decleor would be a great choice if no other salons stock them because you will find that people come to you for that range, treatments & products.

Previous salon i worked at stocked Decleor & clients actually left their old salons to come to us because we had that range. Decleor also do an execellent incentive scheme & do different promotions every month with free gifts which the clients used to love.

Dermalogica is a smaller range though & would probably work better for you if you are renting a room, you probably wouldn't have room for a couch after you squeeze the Decleor stock in :)

Also Sothys have a fantastic range, one day when i get a salon i would like to stock them.

I think Dermalogica/Decleor would be a great choice if no other salons stock them because you will find that people come to you for that range, treatments & products.

Previous salon i worked at stocked Decleor & clients actually left their old salons to come to us because we had that range. Decleor also do an execellent incentive scheme & do different promotions every month with free gifts which the clients used to love.

Dermalogica is a smaller range though & would probably work better for you if you are renting a room, you probably wouldn't have room for a couch after you squeeze the Decleor stock in :)

Also Sothys have a fantastic range, one day when i get a salon i would like to stock them.

thanks for that Juliete

What sort of area are you in?

Were you working in the salon when they introduced skin care or has it always been there?

Do you know what the set up costs of Decleor are?

Well im halfway between a very wealthy town (Stratford) & working class town.

The salon was in a brand new hotel complex & we were the first in the town to get Decleor but now i think there are about 4 other salons that stock it within a 1 mile radius !

The working class town has about 3 high class salons they stock Guinot, Elemis, Mary Cohr & Decleor. Always busy & the more run down salons are always dead when you walk past.

A lesson I have learned many times is don't assume because someone is more 'wealthy' that they will spend more. It is often the reverse I have found on many occasions. Not meaning to offend or stereotype in any way but I have found that clients who I think can't afford certain treatments/luxuries have spent far much more on them than someone who can easily afford them. know this doen't help in any way but just thought I would make a point.

I have just atrated using Cetuem SCR for my skincare and think its fab, no minimum order and quite reasonably priced. Jordan now uses this (at least she said she did in OK mag). Retail items a bit expensive but I just tell my clients they can order them so I don't have to stock any.

I absolutely love Dermalogica. Wonderful product, and they offer tons of continual training.

Don't be too hasty and take a look at Academie de Beauté and Nimue skin care from the Hyperion Group. 0113 275 5719 Both beautiful ranges that work well together.

Latest posts

Back