Skin tones and nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sass

Reaction score
Ok, this might not be as on topic as it should be but, can anyone help me with Skin colour/tone and colour of gel/L & P/polish? :o

Was vaguely discussed in training, but I really want to know the where's & why's!

Nude's for pale skin...hot pinks, vibrant for darker skin.....(Vague LOL):confused:

Sam Biddle reckons it is a science, but her blog is still very vague IMO...

So, if one of you lovely geeks would be willing to take the time or failing that point me somewhere I can go......:hug:

Following, sorry i cant help.

It would pretty much follow the same color rules for clothes and makeup. Cool tones, warm tones etc. Blue based colors are great for cool skin tones.
Dark skin colors tend to look good with bright colors. I suggest googling the color guides for makeup and then apply the same guidelines to nail colors.

You have to turn the hands over and look at their skin. Look into the veins and the colour of the skin surrounding the veins. Take a silver piece of shiny paper and a gold one. Which one draws out colour.. Which one adds colour.
If someone is a cool person putting on a silver colour will just make them look ill. But put red on a cool person it instantly brightens them up...

Xx

Nicola! Xxx

Brights can look good on pale skin too, as long as the undertones match. I have quite pale neutral-cool toned skin... so look a bugger in anything too "warm" (golds/yellows/oranges etc) but can wear a gorgeous HOT pink or a bright red as long as it's blue based! (tutti frutti for example)

I find colour matching quite instinctive to be honest, training as a MUA first helped too :)

Ask your clients which color they get the most compliments on when they were it. Ask their favorite color. Then determine if it's warm or cool. Put a blue red and a orange red next to their skin to see which looks best. There are more cool people than warm.

I can't tell the difference between a warm or cool colour :eek:

Basic colour wheel :)

Attachments

• color_wheel-warm-cool.jpg
    color_wheel-warm-cool.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 545
Hi guys, thanks for all the advice. Some people seem to have a natural/instinctive talent for colour matching, others don't. I suppose I really want to learn which colour new clients suit, especially when using cover powders and gels during french enhancements. Would make life easier when ordering cover pinks or peaches etc., everything else is client preference. :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

beigey/yellow toned skin and green tinged veins = warm skin
creamy white/pink toned skin and blue tinged veins = cool skin

:hug:

I'm a Makeup Artist as well as a Nail Tech and agree it helps to know about colour theory but to be honest, even colour theory with makeup - cool vs warm "rules" etc doesnt always apply and can sometimes pigeon hole people (and us) in the way that they've been told before that they're a warm or cool tone so shouldnt wear this or that colour. Same with nail colours, some clients with very fair skin, although they may be "cool" can really rock warm colours and vice versa. I find when my nail clients are choosing colours, I just get them to put it against their skin and if it instantly makes things like blemishes or natural imperfections stand out, gently suggest something different, same for if it makes their skin look dirty, try something else.
I have a client with lovely fair skin and freckles so technically speaking she's not meant to wear a lot of cool colours but looks absolutely lovely in 90% of cool colours.
Personally my approach to colour is along the lines of...What's the season? What outfit are they wearing? What's the event? Their personality? And most importantly, what do they like best?
Just a few thoughts anyway....All the best :)

Also remember that "red" does not automatic = warm. Your true reds tend to work for all skin tones and blue base reds are wonderful for cool
Skin tones. Color matching really does tend to one down to eye and instinct. The "rules" just kind of give you a solid foundation with which to start. But it's all fun, games and art!

Latest posts

Back