Sleek waves with a blow dry on long, naturally curly hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvanSmith

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before but I had a client come to me the other day (Indian woman!) with thick naturally long curly hair for a cut and blow dry. She asked me to dry her hair into sleek waves and showed me a picture from a hair magazine. The waves she asked for were large s shaped marcel type waves in long hair. It was a busy day so there were other factors that prevented me from achieving this style. This client was adamant that I was doing it all wrong by blow drying her hair into set curls with a medium sized barrel brush instead of a large barrel brush. my aim here was to dress out and brush the wave into the vintage loos smooth style. The other way I know how to create this style is with GHDs or any other large hot straighteners by waving the irons down the hair in different directions. ( more than one way to skin a cat!) But my client was adamant that I was doing it all wrong and that I didnt know what I was doing and that I am the worst hairdresser ever to the point where she even assumed that I was newly qualified!! even after I told her I have been qualified for ten years. However my question is how would you archive this style of wave? any tips or directions would be great. thanks :)

Sorry if this has been asked before but I had a client come to me the other day (Indian woman!) with thick naturally long curly hair for a cut and blow dry. She asked me to dry her hair into sleek waves and showed me a picture from a hair magazine. The waves she asked for were large s shaped marcel type waves in long hair. It was a busy day so there were other factors that prevented me from achieving this style. This client was adamant that I was doing it all wrong by blow drying her hair into set curls with a medium sized barrel brush instead of a large barrel brush. my aim here was to dress out and brush the wave into the vintage loos smooth style. The other way I know how to create this style is with GHDs or any other large hot straighteners by waving the irons down the hair in different directions. ( more than one way to skin a cat!) But my client was adamant that I was doing it all wrong and that I didnt know what I was doing and that I am the worst hairdresser ever to the point where she even assumed that I was newly qualified!! even after I told her I have been qualified for ten years. However my question is how would you archive this style of wave? any tips or directions would be great. thanks :)

Don't you just hate people telling you how to do your job!! Do you think the picture could have been set on large hot rollers and then dressed out? Another alternative could be the new cloud nine waving wand? Hope this helps! So difficult when a client wants to look exactly like a picture...I always state I will do my best to recreate a look but cannot guarantee exact results as their hair type could be totally different!! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I've not done one with a blowdry, but is have done a blowdry set leaving the brushes in using medium brush on the length and large on the top.
Iv done them with flat irons a few times, but I know a blowdry would look so much better.
If it was for a client and not my colleague (her hair is so thick it takes a good hour to blowdry) then I would be pointing out I'm the professional, and if they don't like my technique then there are a lot of other salons in the area xoxo

Latest posts

Back