Smelly client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigglyb4ll

Reaction score
Please help. This isn't even funny :(
There is a local family who smell. I'm not talking a bit of bad hygiene, I mean the smell is so bad that I can't be in the same room as them, I literally gag when I pass them in the school playground.
The mum is a nice lady and I always am polite to her but I move away immediately.

She's now messaged asking me to book her in for a brow wax.
Now normally I would just man up and do it, but my salon is in my home and we've just decorated and getting new carpet laid Monday.
When she leaves a room it continues to smell long after.
I don't want her in my home ;(

I can't tell you how bad the smell is :(

The other issue is she's a very large lady and I'm not sure my bed will hold her!!

I told her I was fully booked next week (not a lie) and suggested she tried a local salon but she said she'd rather wait for me to do it when am I next free!!

I'm not a mean person and usually put my issues to the back of my mind but I'm so stressed about this, I just can't do it!!

There must be a polite way to say never???

Well I'm going to be no help whatsoever.

I have one of these. I did her brows to begin with, then a half leg, and then last week a Brazilian.

No laughing matter!

I used grapefruit in my burner to clean the air, and stood over it for ages, breathing it in.

Sorry, been in this business for a long time and have no suggestions.

Maybe say you're not taking on any new clients at the moment!!!

Vic x

:sad:

I didn't want to read and run but I feel for you!

Given that I don't go anywhere straight from work in case I offend people with eau de flump, I'm not going to comment on that part... but I do wonder what the weight limit is on a couch. A friend of mine who is over 6ft 3 tall and rather large, shall we say, inspired the thought...

It's a tricky one and you need to tackle it sensitively.

However, rather than avoiding her I'd be inclined to tell her straight that she has an unfortunate odour problem that she must resolve before you will be able to treat her.

Ask her if she's been made aware of it and offer some helpful suggestions such as a daily hot shower and changing her clothes daily.

If it's a mouldy smell, it might be the family are living in a very damp house and they probably can't do much about it.

I'm trying to be nice to her and I don't want to be mean, but I really can't have her in my home. I feel like such a bad person.
It's not her house, they've moved in the last few years and it's no different.
I can't even describe the smell, it's like they wash their clothes in swamp water :(

I have a really weak gag reflex, I can't even speak to her in the playground! :(

I can't tell her, there's just no polite way.

Waaah!!! This is so bad!! :( :(

we have three ladies like this. Two larger ladies and a lady that like to go stables.

The lady that goes to the stables always freshens up, after we put a wipe out for her etc. One of my staff was confrontational with her to understand that she wouldn't proceed with treatment as her smell was overwhelming her. She used the allergic to animals line.....(!)

The larger ones very concious of it and tries to mask the smell, but me and my staff keep perfume on our tunics to disguise the smell. Diffuser is really good!

The other one is a big lady that I dont want to hurt her feelings, so I try to oust around her saying I/my staff just ate some food, sorry for the smell kinda thing. It really helps!

I reckon if none of these work, suggest that as your pre and post care advise they wash beforehand regardless of where they are having the treatment done, as this prepares the skin. otherwise you wont be able to achieve the right look etc if you catch my drift!

You can be tactful, but it is hard to say... xoxo

It's a tricky one and you need to tackle it sensitively.

However, rather than avoiding her I'd be inclined to tell her straight that she has an unfortunate odour problem that she must resolve before you will be able to treat her.

Ask her if she's been made aware of it and offer some helpful suggestions such as a daily hot shower and changing her clothes daily.

If it's a mouldy smell, it might be the family are living in a very damp house and they probably can't do much about it.

I disagree with this, why get yourself into an even more awkward situation than you already are by telling her that she smells. You have no idea how she would take it. She could get upset, start crying or even confrontational. And suggesting a daily hot shower is either going to be patronising or pointless imo. I'd just do what someone has already suggested and tell her your not taking any new clients on atm.

I would advise the clean skin thing and say that freshly showered skin waxes better?! I'm not much more help unfortunately :(

I dont agree with asking her to be freshly showered, shes not thick its only a eyebrow wax. I would go with your not taking on any new clients x

It’s a bit late now as you have already made it obvious you are willing to treat her by saying you are fully booked but in future you could say something like – Sorry but for personal and professional reasons I don’t like to treat people that I know, am friends with or work with.

Or brave it one time and do such a bad job that she'll never come back!

If you have decided you can't tell her that you don't want to wax her and you don't want to tell her why - then you will have to wax her and suck it up.

Even smelly people are deserving of a respectful response and to be treated with consideration.

Peace and respect xx

I've decided to man up :(
I've booked her in for after I finish work on friday.
Windows open, candles burning, mask on.

I've been a care worker, if I can clean up poo, I can do this.
Even if I do want to sob at the thought :(

She's not had her brows done in 20yrs she said and she obviously feels that I can help her so I have to try.

As someone else said to me, maybe she wants help to start to take care of herself.

*cries*

I dont agree with asking her to be freshly showered, shes not thick its only a eyebrow wax. I would go with your not taking on any new clients x

I can't do this otherwise it means I actually can't take anyone else.
I'm in a small village.
She deserves my honesty.

I'm going to send her a generic welcome email and will include "salon etiquette" which includes ensuring you are freshly showered before any treatment...clutching at straws but worth a try.

Good luck, let us know how it worked out for you.

I had a client in the past for a brow wax, who was a little similar. She didn't smell, but had come straight from work. She removed her shoes because they were filthy and the smell was horrendous. I had to excuse myself from the room with the pretense that i needed to get something.

I did her treatment and she was very happy. However, i could never have told her about the smell. I prefered to man up and just deal with it. The room did need airing after unfortunately xx

If I'd booked in for a brow wax and the therapist asked me to arrive freshly showered, I'd be a bit confused.

She may pong, but I doubt she's silly.

The email idea is good actually. Make it sound like a standard email that every new customer is receiving and she won't suspect anything. After all, eyebrow wax only or not, you can never be sure if she won't decide that she wants leg wax or (God forbid) underarm or bikini wax. It's better to cover all possibilities.
Hth x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've had a few of these and I've been less friendly with them but there's one who's stayed with me for years and she's now one of my best clients. She washes but I think she has an hyperhidrosis problem, it only manifests when she raises her arms above her head so I always try to pin them down under the blanket!

I've decided to man up :(
I've booked her in for after I finish work on friday.
Windows open, candles burning, mask on.

I've been a care worker, if I can clean up poo, I can do this.
Even if I do want to sob at the thought :(

She's not had her brows done in 20yrs she said and she obviously feels that I can help her so I have to try.

As someone else said to me, maybe she wants help to start to take care of herself.

*cries*

Good girl.

It might be the start of something new for her :hug:

Good for you . It cant be easy .

Apart from the other suggestions of candle , diffusers ect why not rub a tiny bit of Vics vapor rub under your nose before she comes in . That may help a little .

x

I'm not beauty I'm hair but I have an issue like this too :/ I have a larger lady who has foils so the appointment can be up to 3 hours! The first time i met her I remember thinking how she smelt like a fresh bath it was lovley, but then each time she came after she's gradually gotten smellier :( I feel terrible saying it too :( it does take your breath away tho, and it's awful for the other customers in the shop, I sat on the chair she had sat in for her appointment once after shed left with my coat on and the smell followed me all day, I finally realised it was where I'd sat on the chair, I'd been to shops smelling like it too but I just thought it was the smell stuck in my nose or something, I had to wash my coat twice to get rid of it, it's so embarrassing for the other clients but I wouldn't dream of telling her, I think it would really upset her. I try to book her in at quiet times now & just breathe through my mouth the whole appointment 🙊

Latest posts

Back