smoking ban????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gem21

Reaction score
well its just been announced that there is going to be a 100% smoking ban. was just wondering what your thouhts are to it??? :rolleyes:

I don`t smoke - but I think an absolute ban is total nonsense - On the news this afternoon they were claiming that a ban in pubs would save lives - what utter rubbish!!!!

If people can`t smoke in pubs/clubs they`ll still do it at home / in the car or where ever .

Its not like "if you smoke in a pub it`ll kill you - but if you smoke at home it won`t"

I`ve worked in a pub and as a non smoker I was in the minority - the rest of the bar staff all smoked.

I think it should come down to choice - No one forces you to go into a pub and breath the air.

oooooooowwww - sorry but I hate it when "they" try to tell us what to do, it makes my blood boil.

There has been a total smoking ban in Victoria and Vancouver for a few years now. It was a major fight to get it but I will tell you it hasn't hurt any pubs or resturants business one bit. There is nothing nicer than:rolleyes: going out to a night club or pub and coming home smelling as nice as you went!!!!! Of course I am an X smoker so I one of the worse ones for hating the smell of smoke.:rolleyes:

Doesn't bother me as I've never been a smoker and think it wreaks havoc on ones health and that of non smokers. Personally and IMO, and I am generalizing here but smoking is a selfish habit as MOST smokers are happy to blow their smoke over everyone else and in a restaurant, for example, nonsmokers can't escape it. It infuriates me when people throw their butts on the floor or out of car windows or say, "Do you mind if I light up?" but don't wait for the answer and do it anyway. I could go on and on but won't and will repeat that I am generalizing the way I have found most smokers to be. You asked and this is my opinion.

its probably a good thing..in a way...i am a smoker and yes if they ban smoking from all pubs, then there is nothing i can do about it apart from nip outside for a ciggie.
i asked rob what he thought as he is a non smoker so isnt as biased as i ( a smoker) would be.
and he thinks there still should be areas in alll bars for smokers and it is taking freedom of choice away....
not sure what i think as i have been out to a weatherspoons at night and i knew i couldnt smoke in there so it didnt really bothered me...just had a crafty fag on the way to each pub

I think this is great news!!!!

It will be so nice to go out and to not stink of smoke the next day!! :)

tigerlilli said:

I'm in total agreement with you on that one. :)

i am a social smoker and i work in a pub so i think its stupid, more to the point price of beer in shops is going to go up because people are going to have a drink in the house with their mates round. i think they should have a non smoking section in pubs, its absolutly rediculous!!!!

I read a quote in a book once "having smoking and non-smoking sections in a pub is like having urinating and non-urinating sections in a swimming pool."

on 1st January they introduced a similar thing here in Spain... but it differs slightly as it isn't a total ban, for a bar or restaurant to allow smoking they have to have a certain floor area in metres square, if it's below the minimum then no smoking is allowed.
the thing is, IMO, a total ban is similar to bullying as it takes away people's rights, just because someone smokes doesn't mean they don't have the same rights as a non-smoker... the UK goverment could do a similar thing to Spain and place the ban on how large the floor area is, that way smokers and non-smokers alike have the freedom to choose whichever restaurant or bar they want to go to without having rules shoved down their throats.

tigerlilli said:

same here im all for it xx

gem21 said:
i think they should have a non smoking section in pubs, its absolutly rediculous!!!!

what happens if u go out with your mates and u are the only one that doesn't smoke (like me) i'd be on me own in the non-smoking section all night! xx

i think thats right valenciaNails. its taking away peoples choices. when someone tell you not to do something its makes you want to do it more. its all about people choices and rights. the government is taking that freedom away. OUT OF ORDER! what they gonna do next ban alcohol, thats bad for your health to!! RRRRAAAAHHHHH

Well I used to smoke 40 a day (gave up 2000). I must say I am not overly keen on people smoking when I am eating, didnt mind when I smoked myself though lol! But since having James I hate the smell (started during pregnancy!). However, I meet my friend for lunch and she smokes and it doesn't put me off meeting her, but its a different story going to her home nowadays ... I am ashamed to say that the last time I went I couldnt wait to get away as she had no windows open and the air was thick with smoke (just as mine used to be!) but it was very uncomfortable for me (I didnt say anything but just couldnt wait to go home).

Maybe it is something in ex smokers heads that make them feel sick with the smell of smoke ... it NEVER bothered me when I smoked myself odd huh!

It used to P me off big time if I ever smoked walking in the street and someone wafted the air away from them like I was stifling their airways with my smoke... now that I thought was rediculous and still do! But sat in a small resturant or cafe, I can see the down side to people smoking. As for pubs ... this is going to be where it gets hard. Personally speaking, if I was stood near a group of people smoking, then nowadays I would move elsewhere in the bar and if the whole bar was too smoky then I would find another bar.

I am an ex smoker, but I am not totally anti smoking.. I just feel very relieved that I don't do it anymore and that it doesnt control my life.

Now if I could say this was true about the fridge and the cookie jar then I would be a goodun!!! :rolleyes:

I am a smoker and do like a ciggy when I have a drink but I suppose if you can't then you won't.....back to hanging out of bathroom windows like I did 20 odd years ago then!!!

pinkchicnails said:
what happens if u go out with your mates and u are the only one that doesn't smoke (like me) i'd be on me own in the non-smoking section all night! xx
but then arnt they gonna wanna go outside for a cig or are they gonna stop smoking? if they go outside it means you'll either have to go outside with them even its freezing or stay inside the pub club on your own. my mates a non smoker and i know she wouldnt wait in the pub club on her own, she'd rather freeze and come outside.

*JOANNE* said:
its probably a good thing..in a way...i am a smoker and yes if they ban smoking from all pubs, then there is nothing i can do about it apart from nip outside for a ciggie.
i asked rob what he thought as he is a non smoker so isnt as biased as i ( a smoker) would be.
and he thinks there still should be areas in alll bars for smokers and it is taking freedom of choice away....
not sure what i think as i have been out to a weatherspoons at night and i knew i couldnt smoke in there so it didnt really bothered me...just had a crafty fag on the way to each pub

Dont want to change the subject so I will smoke while I ask *JOANNE* have you changed your hairstyle again?!!!:lol: Looks good!

tru gem i never thought of that - dont get me wrong i have nothing against people smoking BUT i hate going home and stinking of smoke and waking up the next morning and ur room smells your hair and clothes smell.
IMO - to have smoking / non smoking sections just woudn't work- when we go to bingo i go with my mate she smokes - i dont and there are smoking/non smoking sections we ALWAYS have to sit in the smoking bit not once has she agreed to sit in the non smoking bit cos i want to. if i was to say - im sitting this side tonight she'd just bugger off and leave me and go sit in the smoking section. how many couples/mates would spend the night apart on a night out?? no ban or a total ban was the only way to go and at the end of the day fresh air doesn't kill u - passive smoking does!! so im all for the ban.
(looks like theres only one thing for it - ill have to get new friends lol xx)

i agree on your point on smelling of smoke i hate waking up and smelling of smoke but i just get on with it. we'll just have to see how it goes and how people will adapt, i think it will be very hard for evryone to get used to it. dont think ill be going to my local when it kicks in. dont think the ban will be for at least another year, i hope so, i need time for the idea to sink in. lol

i think its gonna cause a few problems at first to be honest but all they can do is try it and see - its worked in new york and ireland xx

Latest posts

Back