Smudged nail during UV Gel manicure!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Welshie Lou Lou

Reaction score
I'm starting to loose the will to live!

I've been doing UV gel nails since November. There always seems to be a problem, and you fellow geeks have always been s helpful!

My next problem is, today, I was doing s manicure. Spent ages prepping the nails because they looked awful. All going well, but on 2 Nd coat of colour, a knock in the polish appeared! I blamed myself, but the client very nicely said she " might " have knocked it in the lamp!

As a result, it was too tricky to correct...and she was clock watching because She had to do school pick up!

Is there a way to correct these sorts of problems, if this happens again? I told her that if there was time, it would need to come off and redone.

I was so disappointed because the nails looked so lovely. I used a third coat and top coat...but I told her its more likely to chip now, and I gave her a reduced price.

Should I have done it for free?

Nightmare! Xx

I'm starting to loose the will to live!

I've been doing UV gel nails since November. There always seems to be a problem, and you fellow geeks have always been s helpful!

My next problem is, today, I was doing s manicure. Spent ages prepping the nails because they looked awful. All going well, but on 2 Nd coat of colour, a knock in the polish appeared! I blamed myself, but the client very nicely said she " might " have knocked it in the lamp!

As a result, it was too tricky to correct...and she was clock watching because She had to do school pick up!

Is there a way to correct these sorts of problems, if this happens again? I told her that if there was time, it would need to come off and redone.

I was so disappointed because the nails looked so lovely. I used a third coat and top coat...but I told her its more likely to chip now, and I gave her a reduced price.

Should I have done it for free?

Nightmare! Xx

No you should not have done it for free! It was her that knocked it and it was her that was in a hurry. Sorry hun but that's her problem not yours. You did everything right. An extra coat of colour usually covers up and scuffs and top coat usually smooths out any uneven bits. What was the end result like? I also wouldn't have told her that it's more likely to chip, why would it?! Sometimes colours need 3 coats to give full coverage, this does not affect it's longevity.

You need to trust in yourself more hun and toughen up a little! Don't be so hard on yourself, it's always hard when you first start out or use a new product, we all go through it, just have to trust your instincts x

Aayspa!!!!

Thankyou! I always criticise my work and I think I'm useless. Thankyou for your kind words, I appreciate it. Xx

We all criticise our own work, it's natural, even when you've been doing it years you always see the flaws first but I think that's what makes us better therapists/nail techs because we are always willing to learn and improve and always wanting to give the best treatment possible and there is certainly nothing wrong with that, you just have to learn when the flaws are yours to correct and when it's just you being over critical or blaming yourself for clients mistakes.

Did the smudged nail look ok when she left?x

Thankyou aayspa.

I know you are right. My friend runs a hair salon and he says its good to want perfection and want things right. It just makes me laugh when people think its just about slapping on a bit of polish!

The lady said she couldn't notice it, but I've told her she can come back and I will do redo the one nail tomorrow if its bugging her. I told her I can then show her how to remove the polish correctly as she always tries to do it herself! Despite me telling her not to. I'm too soft!

At least I've learnt that I need to warn people to take care when putting their hand in the lamp!

I've read that some people do flash/ freeze curing a few nails at a time, to,prevent knocks?

Anyway Hun, thanks SO much I really appreciate it. Xx

Sometimes the dint in the nail is deep and won't cover with an extra layer. If its very deep I cleanse the sticky layer off and file the gel polish lightly near the dint to make the area smooth. Then I add another layer or two of colour and top coat.
Hope that helps.

Ugh this happens to me a lot too, clients get a bit top 'excited' and try to shove their hand into the lamp quickly and knock their nails off the outside. Thankfully it makes a loud noise and I can check the nails before they proceed to put them back SLOWLY into the lamp.
If I only noticed after curing I would wipe the tacky layer off, give it a quick buff to smooth it out and reapply.

Sometimes the dint in the nail is deep and won't cover with an extra layer. If its very deep I cleanse the sticky layer off and file the gel polish lightly near the dint to make the area smooth. Then I add another layer or two of colour and top coat.
Hope that helps.

This is what I would do too

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hope that helps.

I do this too. It happens quite a bit actually. How big does the flamin hole need to be for them to get their mitts in without clanging??

I do this too. It happens quite a bit actually. How big does the flamin hole need to be for them to get their mitts in without clanging??

Haha this really made me laugh. There as bad as the ones who suddenly have death grip fingers- flat, lay your hand flat, the lamp is going nowhere!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

BLOSSOM!!! That has really made me laugh!

I feel so much better listening to all of you. Thankyou for the fab tips!! Xx

After I applied the base coat I always say-be careful do not knock your nails on the lamp walls-even if I see this clients for years. Lol of course I only say it once as would be a bit annoying for client if I would say it every time I applied a layer.
If they do knock it I would correct it at the end without making much fuss. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ha ha!! That's so funny, love it!! So true "Whoops I "think" I might have caught a nail" - if I had a penny for every time I heard that, despite my repeated warnings ....... Raaaaaarr! :0)

Latest posts

Back