So Fed Up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEMMA20S

Reaction score
Hi all

Dont where to post this but i am going to post this here.

I am so fed up of my full time job as a sales supervisor, i have been here for 2 years had enough and really want to go full time spray tanning, but i am just so scared to do so, in case it doesnt work out, i am 25 next month and really dont want to be here after christmas, i just want to take the leap and give it a go, has anybody else been in my situation and been petrified incase it doesnt work out, its more of my financial situation that i am scared of, obvisbly working full time and tanning evenings and weekends i am used to the extra income and i have been putting some away for when i do take the leap.

I think i am getting angry with myself because it is really what i want to do but to scared to do it?

Anybody been in the same situation please comment or anybodies thoughts or opinions welcome?

Thanks for listening:sad:

I am in the exact same situation :sad: I am an accountant so I earn very good money in my full time job but I am too scared that I won't survive on a minimum wage job, or worse have no clients and no money at all! I've got comfortable and used to earning a certain ammount and now, although I do hate my job and the whole reason for training was to switch careers, I am too scared because of the money situation. :sad:

Just realised my post wasn't really helpful in anyway lol! Sorry!

LOL dont worry, im glad someone can relate to me, its so frustrating.

I saving for a mortgage as well so it just doesnt seem practical to go mobile at the moment, but i really want to, i think ive got to get the guts and go for it!!

Thanks

gemma xx

I'm understanding where you're both coming from! I'm in a very well paid office job and whilst I don't hate it, I get very bored. I research beauty all day on the computer whilst I'm meant to be working and I took the plunge last month and set up mobile spray tanning. And I'm no youngster (37) so feel its too late for me to make my mark in the world of beauty and I'm way too scared to quit my office job and just do the beauty side of things. But I like to dream....
But it may not be too late for you guys!!! Is there any scope at work to reduce your hours to part time so you can do more of your beauty? That could be a way of easing into it a bit more.

Unless you put lots and I mean lots of effort into advertising, word of mouth etc etc etc, you will never earn a fortune from spray tanning alone. I would stick to having a part time/full time job and spray tan in your free time, not forgetting to declare this as earnings and completing a tax return at the end of the year.

Hi all

Dont where to post this but i am going to post this here.

I am so fed up of my full time job as a sales supervisor, i have been here for 2 years had enough and really want to go full time spray tanning, but i am just so scared to do so, in case it doesnt work out, i am 25 next month and really dont want to be here after christmas, i just want to take the leap and give it a go, has anybody else been in my situation and been petrified incase it doesnt work out, its more of my financial situation that i am scared of, obvisbly working full time and tanning evenings and weekends i am used to the extra income and i have been putting some away for when i do take the leap.

I think i am getting angry with myself because it is really what i want to do but to scared to do it?

Anybody been in the same situation please comment or anybodies thoughts or opinions welcome?

Thanks for listening:sad:

Hi Gemma,
Was, sort of, in the same predicament as you. I left my job (actually took redundancy), and am in the middle of setting up by own beauty room from home. I was really scared, but have been qualified as a beautician for more than 5 years. My husband was really supportive and encouraged me to "live my dream", which is exactly what I am doing. I was a fortunate that we could afford for me to take the redundancy. I am struggling abit now, money wise, but am so close to getting the business up and running I can actually see the light at the end of the tunnel lol.
It is daunting to take the plunge, but as another SG said maybe you can go part time and get your tanning business up and running that way.
I wish you all the best luck in whatever you choose to do.
Sheryle:D

Thanks Shelzer, well done in your new venture hope all goes well.

Hi Joe, yes i have done lots of advertising and have a got a large client base and most weeks i am nearly earning as much i would in my full time job, the clientele is there, i think im going to hold out until after christmas, because i want to see how Sep, Oct and Nov go, these are usually queiter months for me. But in that time i plan to go out and do more advertsing.

Thanks all

Hi Gemma20s,
I was in nearly the same situation - I was working as a marketing exec in a well-paid job within a company I'd been with for a long time, but gave it all up along with my chance of getting a mortgage, and went to work in a minimum wage job which was less demanding and gave me the chance to begin building up my mobile beauty business.
It was a good transition as it got me used to having less money, and I'm now just about ready to pack in that job and go full-time on my own.
I don't have enough clients but you can only go so far before you have to take that leap. It's scary but when the time is right you'll know when/if it's the right thing for you.
Good luck with what you decide :)

LOL dont worry, im glad someone can relate to me, its so frustrating.

I saving for a mortgage as well so it just doesnt seem practical to go mobile at the moment,
but i really want to, i think ive got to get the guts and go for it!!

Thanks

gemma xx

I would be concerned about chucking in a full time job (and income) if you are wanting to buy a house. The banks won't look to favourably on it and usually you need far more deposit.

I'd try and cut back hours to part time first while building up the spray tan side.

Step back and imagine yourself in 5 years time looking back on now. Would you regret not having tried this? Or would you regret more having tried and it wasn't for you?

I often imagine myself in my rocking chair looking back on my life. For those that know me, I know it's not that far away LOL! I only regret stuff that I didn't do. The things that I tried and failed in, then, well, they were just not meant to be and at least I gave them a go! (includes husbands by the way)!:wink2:

Stepping off the cliff can be quite liberating. I did it. Never looked back.

Have you thought about offering any other treatments? Maybe lashes or nails?

Thanks guys for all your advice, it really does help, i have thought about doing eyelash extensions too, but have been in limbo about which company to go with, i am also working a spray tan trainer under my companies umbrella, tanning is what i am passionate about and the route i want to take, as for saving for a mortgage me and my other half have decided we are going to rent in the near future so there is no pressure to save lots of money and i can fulfill my career by going self employed.

One question i did want to ask was can you claim working tax credits if you are self employed?

Again thanks for all your advice

Yes you can claim working tax credits whilst self employed. Assuming of course you are eligible.

It's always hard going for your dreams. i am in a similar position as the business i want to start is hard to get funding ( it's social enterprise). but i've found that there is ways it can be done without too much of a jump of faith. if you want to know more look into network marketing. can't say more than that as don't want to sounds like a preacher.

dawn:D

I'm understanding where you're both coming from! I'm in a very well paid office job and whilst I don't hate it, I get very bored. I research beauty all day on the computer whilst I'm meant to be working and I took the plunge last month and set up mobile spray tanning. And I'm no youngster (37) so feel its too late for me to make my mark in the world of beauty and I'm way too scared to quit my office job and just do the beauty side of things. But I like to dream....
But it may not be too late for you guys!!! Is there any scope at work to reduce your hours to part time so you can do more of your beauty? That could be a way of easing into it a bit more.

Why is it too late for you! I am 36, 37 in Nov. I am just starting up my own beauty mobile business. I have spent 4 years doing a mix of part time and full time courses. Nvq3 was just for massage really and I wasnt sure where I was heading at that point. So maybe I could have got away with it? I have 2 children, I'm a single parent and do have a little help from my mum and friend. I started a month ago and have gained 4 clients from an advert and am putting all my energy into a job I love. Combine the 2 jobs, go for it! If you love beauty then you will succeed because people will see your passion. X

Stepping off the cliff can be quite liberating. I did it. Never looked back.

Have you thought about offering any other treatments? Maybe lashes or nails?

I trained in minx a month ago, it has really attracted clients for my new business, today I have a new client for minx, but she also booked a brow wax but it was the minx she came for. I put a special offer for £5 off Mani or pedi for July, I had a few bookings for that. Aug special offer is a free solar oil with nail treatments. Sept offer is going to be launch of lash extensions. Havent decided on oct yet x

Plenty of us make a jolly good living full time self employed in these industries. Yes you have to go through the initial part of building up, but as long as you have savings to cover this, it's fine.
You all talk as though beauty/related industries pay thruppence a week and we all do it for love! It's not the case, and a well established hair/beauty pro would earn far in excess of an office job.

Thanks guys for all your advice, it really does help, i have thought about doing eyelash extensions too, but have been in limbo about which company to go with, i am also working a spray tan trainer under my companies umbrella, tanning is what i am passionate about and the route i want to take, as for saving for a mortgage me and my other half have decided we are going to rent in the near future so there is no pressure to save lots of money and i can fulfill my career by going self employed.

One question i did want to ask was can you claim working tax credits if you are self employed?

Again thanks for all your advice

You will need to do your book keeping, I attended a 3 day course with business link for people starting their own business up. It was a free course funded by the council and has been very helpful for me! At first with material costs, advertising you will be in minus figures. You can claim tax credit etc, you just need to work out what you think you will earn, which will be guesswork to start. I think training in lash extensions and minx, as well as your tanning would be a good move. Not sure if you will need a manicure/pedicure qual before you can do minx, or what's required for lash ext? I had nvq2 in beauty before I did these courses x

Latest posts

Back