Soaking in acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annie ree

Reaction score
I know there has been a big debate on here already on this matter but I am finding myself getting really frustrated with a salon in my area. I have had 2 ladies come to me recently absolutely convinced shellac has ruined their nails and have slated the product (not just the salon) to all their friends. On further investigation it keeps coming down to what the nail tech is doing (of course). One lady said it has taken her since December to get her nails in an anyway half decent condition as the last time she had them removed at this certain salon she was again soaked in acetone, with hot water underneath to speed up the process and then the shellac scraped off with what she described as a scalpel like tool. The skin was burnt around her nails and was red, sore and cracked for a while. I have also been advised they mix their products too so a gelish colour coat with a shellac top coat. Part of this is a rant but I find myself getting so infuriated that I spend good money and my time on training and buying all the right products as a whole from the right distributor for other salons to not care and tarnish the name of the product itself!! I have lost a client this week also to a salon that is advertising shellac nails and toes plus another beauty treatment for £20!!! Again it turns out its not shellac at all they just advertise it as shellac as "everyone has heard of shellac" it's misleading and false advertising a client and if it was a supermarket or clothes shop trading standards would have something to say.

I know there has been a big debate on here already on this matter but I am finding myself getting really frustrated with a salon in my area. I have had 2 ladies come to me recently absolutely convinced shellac has ruined their nails and have slated the product (not just the salon) to all their friends. On further investigation it keeps coming down to what the nail tech is doing (of course). One lady said it has taken her since December to get her nails in an anyway half decent condition as the last time she had them removed at this certain salon she was again soaked in acetone, with hot water underneath to speed up the process and then the shellac scraped off with what she described as a scalpel like tool. The skin was burnt around her nails and was red, sore and cracked for a while. I have also been advised they mix their products too so a gelish colour coat with a shellac top coat. Part of this is a rant but I find myself getting so infuriated that I spend good money and my time on training and buying all the right products as a whole from the right distributor for other salons to not care and tarnish the name of the product itself!! I have lost a client this week also to a salon that is advertising shellac nails and toes plus another beauty treatment for £20!!! Again it turns out its not shellac at all they just advertise it as shellac as "everyone has heard of shellac" it's misleading and false advertising a client and if it was a supermarket or clothes shop trading standards would have something to say.

Cowboys in any industry frustrate the ones who do things correctly ... What do you think you can do about it other than keep doing things correctly and give super good service? SHOW people you are different, dont rant about and give attention or notoriety to those who are doing things wrong.

You know, I soaked off acrylic Liquid & Powder sets of nails for 25 years and never had a client whose nails looked like the ones you describe, and I never ruined anyone's nails by soaking in Industry approved Acetone and thse soak offs took 30 minutes and with heat so that has to beg the question of just what kind of Acetone the cowboy used??? There is cheap industrial Acetone you can buy from B&Q which is unrefined and which would have a more deleterious affect. Sounds like this person is cutting lots of corners ... people will only put up with that sort of treatment for so long.

Positive things are that you now have 2 new clients and they have learned a lesson. Despite all, they are still coming back for more.

And breath lovely :)

All you can do, and it's a big thing is educate the client. Talk through how you perform shellac and how you remove it, the right way. Tell your client that you can guarantee shellac will not damage her nails even if that means applying it to one nail and letting her come back to you, but I hazard a good guess if you talk her through it she'll be sold.

As for the other salon nothing you can do about it other than to wait it out till they go bust, and they will with those figures. Think of this, work out how long the treatment will take, work out product cost then salary. . . Its not sustainable. I know that doesn't help you losing a client but honestly people do question price and more often than not how low something is.

Chin up lovely, don't get bogged down by other salons. Be proud of your products, as im sure you are and tell every client that shellac is a global success, if it really damaged nails why would millions of women be Shellacing their nails every two weeks.

Hugs x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I am determined to educate my clients like these, loads of people I know who get acrylics and gels complain they wreck their nails, and I tell them quite plainly that it is because of poor application and removal.

It is very irritating but on the plus side,it shows your new clients that you are knowledgeable about the product/system and the technique, and also you have gained these clients because of someones poor work. I know it can be frustrating when youve worked hard and spent money on the proper products but know it is not in vain and that you will be the one to gain from this!

try to think of the pluses and knowing that by telling your clients the right information they will trust you and start to tell their friends that they bad mouthed shellac to that 'my new nail tech does my shellac wonderfully'

chin up and know you are in the right :) and good luck with your new clients

Thanks ladies, I am happy to help my new clients and to show them how great shellac can be. I feel better now bit of an emotional morning but I think all ladies, working busy mums have the odd slip from time to time 😊 x

Latest posts

Back