Soaking off Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jade2629

Reaction score
Hi guys just need to know if I will be doing this right, I have a client coming at tomorrow she wants gel polish on her natural nails which is fine but she said she has shellac on and I don't use shellac, do I still buff the top coat then soak like normal sorry if it sounds dumb I'm just not trained in shellac so not sure if the take off is the same xx

No need for any filing or buffing when removing Shellac. Soak cotton pads in acetone then wrap in foil for between 8-12 minutes and the Shellac should just flake off. If there's any base coat or residue left on the nail simply wipe with a pad soaked in remover and it should come away easily.

Thanks just didn't know if you had to buff the top coat off first or not x

I do find that if I do a light file over the nail to break the seal the gel polish /shellac will lift quicker ☺

That's what I tend to do at the moment as it saves me time along with a heat pad just didn't know if shellac came off without filling lol thanks for the advice guys x

I do find that if I do a light file over the nail to break the seal the gel polish /shellac will lift quicker ☺
This is not necessary with Shellac and should be avoided. The Shellac top coat has been designed in such a way that the acetone can penetrate without the use of filing to minimise any risk of damage to the natural nail. Ease of removal is one of the main advantages of using Shellac :)

Wait until you see or try Xpress5 NEW CND Shellac top coat... Removes in 5 minutes... Pure is correct. There is no need to break a seal etc... Use CND Nourushing Remover and Remover foils and it will be off in 8 minutes.

Hi guys just need to know if I will be doing this right, I have a client coming at tomorrow she wants gel polish on her natural nails which is fine but she said she has shellac on and I don't use shellac, do I still buff the top coat then soak like normal sorry if it sounds dumb I'm just not trained in shellac so not sure if the take off is the same xx
Hi @jade2629 Just to say that every client thinks they have Shellac on - they will swear blind they have Shellac on, but I cannot tell you the amount of times I have carefully NOT buffed the topcoat, waited 10 mins tops and then discovered that it hasn't shifted at all. Guess what - it isn't Shellac. Now, if they tell me it's Shellac, and I smile and nod and buff the top coat, unless it was me that put it on!

Vic x

Okay thank you I know that some people believe it's shellac when it's actually not guess I will have to find out when she comes for her appointment I don't use shellac I got a heat pad so hopefully that will help speed up x

Hi @jade2629 Just to say that every client thinks they have Shellac on - they will swear blind they have Shellac on, but I cannot tell you the amount of times I have carefully NOT buffed the topcoat, waited 10 mins tops and then discovered that it hasn't shifted at all. Guess what - it isn't Shellac. Now, if they tell me it's Shellac, and I smile and nod and buff the top coat, unless it was me that put it on!

Vic x

Yes, this is frustrating. Would be wicked to have a way to be able to tell if it was truly Shellac or not. Like one of those counterfeit bill detectors. You put the nail under a lamp and you would see the logo. That would be cool!

Yes, this is frustrating. Would be wicked to have a way to be able to tell if it was truly Shellac or not. Like one of those counterfeit bill detectors. You put the nail under a lamp and you would see the logo. That would be cool!
It wouldn't be long before China started to produce fake logos and then we'd have to move on to holograms next and so on! ;-)

How about each time a registered professional applies a set, they take a pic, date it... get a witness signature, upload to secure site for third party, independent review for certification that authentic Shellac was applied. Then it would be super easy to cross reference the last application the client had!

;)

How about each time a registered professional applies a set, they take a pic, date it... get a witness signature, upload to secure site for third party, independent review for certification that authentic Shellac was applied. Then it would be super easy to cross reference the last application the client had!

;)

Have you just given the game away as to what you're really launching at the event!

Latest posts

Back