Soaps, face wipes, moisturisers, etc. that can cause service breakdown?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arty*Rox

Reaction score
I have a client that has been having Gelish for around 6 months now with no problems, she normally goes 3 weeks without a single chip, but recently she started to have problems, she was getting chipping at the free edge which also caused some gel to peel off completely.

Anyway after some investigating we found an unexpected culprit, she was using dove soap, since she has stopped using it the problems have stopped.

So my question is, has anyone come across any other soaps/lotions that have caused service breakdown or know of any ingredients in products to look out for?

I used to have them same problems keeping anything on my nails. I am now convinced it was baby wipes. My babies are a bit bigger now and I don't use them and am able to keep nice nails for longer. This is just my opinion though!

I have a client whose nails are still perfect after 3 weeks apart from her right middle finger peels off in one. We came to the conclusion it may be here moisturiser as she takes it out the tub with that finger!! So I sent her away with some spatulas and will see what happens next time she's in x

Not nails but Dove soaps and shampoos also strip spray tans so I always tell my customers to avoid Dove. Makes you wonder what's in it :eek:

I was told bio oil can cause problems as well, and maybe to apply with a glove? All trial & error I suppose! :S x

Both shellac and bio sculpture hate Milton baby steriliser and steroid creams

Any time my mum uses dettol all her shellac starts peeling off. I know gloves are necessary when cleaning and have told her a million times but she refuses to wear them. Other cleaning products seem to be ok just dettol lol x

Clarins facial cleanser lifts Gelish, so client now wears gloves!

I'm thinking of adding a list of things to avoid on my aftercare leaflet, any others out there that anyone knows of? Obviously I recommend wearing gloves for washing up or using household cleaners but its the other we may not know of.

Very interesting! I'd never think of some of those. I've had headaches with people where we can't pin point it so I just say always wear gloves. I'd love to say just don't use your hands please!
I always use dove in shower and doesn't affect my trugel but neither does working with acetone, cleaning, making food, gardening or anything unlike my clients :I what do they do!?!?

I'm thinking of adding a list of things to avoid on my aftercare leaflet, any others out there that anyone knows of? Obviously I recommend wearing gloves for washing up or using household cleaners but its the other we may not know of.

I offer Bio Sculpture and the things that interfere with the gel are; suntan lotion, insect repellent, chlorine and cleaning products so I advise them to wear gloves whilst cleaning. I don't know if the others apply to Gelish though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Thanks Stephanie, its a shame we cant tell them to wear gloves on there hols too, might be a bit extreme lol, I always tell them to take wet wipes to the beach/pool with them to wipe there nails after applying lotions and insect repellent, I know the deet they put in that stuff dissolves acrylics :eek:.

Hmmm insect bites or nice nails, hard choice :lol:

Clarins facial cleanser lifts Gelish, so client now wears gloves!

Which one? I use Clarins & wear Gelish but never had any problems x

Latest posts

Back