Sodium hydroxide

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smuff

Reaction score
Ok I've been around a bit. I've done a fair bit of colour training and been on shows with different colour brands. I have recently bought a tube of haircut colour that contains Sodium Hydroxide. Now I know that sodium hydroxide is the main ingredient in hair relaxer and hair removal cream so why is it in a tube of tint. If anyone has heard of this before or knows why it's in the tint then I would be grateful. Xx

I've looked into this in the past when I noticed it listed in shampoos and conditioners. Apparently it is used in minute amounts to adjust the pH of all sorts of products.

I've looked into this in the past when I noticed it listed in shampoos and conditioners. Apparently it is used in minute amounts to adjust the pH of all sorts of products.

So do you think it might damage the scalp. I know it's used in the manufacturering of soap, but never sure when colouring hair , def gonna skin test.
Thanks for the reply. X

Same with perm lotion. The main ingredient is ammonium thicoglycolate but if you look at hair removal cream it has it aswel

As always skin testing is essential but as adamlea87 says it is there purely to adjust the ph of a colour to be more alkaline.

It is indeed a scary product on its own but i cant imagine that any colour company would be crazy enough to use it in quantities that would cause it to behave as a hair remover.

Latest posts

Back