Solid L&P in zones 2 and 3...scary?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessicles

Reaction score
I recently bought some Sin City black powder, and I've used it for tips on one of the stylists in the salon...but now she wants to try white tips and black on the plate. First of all, that's kind of scary to me just to form them (I tend to pull my pink over slightly so I get a nice merge), would they not look strange? Second...stylists are very prone to lifting considering the amount of water they are in and what they do with their hands...how can you tell when black has lifted?? Or if there are any other problems in there... I told her I'd think about it, but the whole thing just doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I told her it might be smarter to just polish them black and white, but she says polish never lasts on her. What are your thoughts?

I agree with you. Doing the tips is fine you can see if anything is happening under the nail. However when you apply coloured acrylic over the nail bed you are unable to see if there is any lifting or if something is happening on the nail plate. I would use coloured gel it's like nail polish only it stays on and you can file it off during her fill to see what is going on under the enhancement.

Hope this helps :cool:

SC

I've done black on the nail plate with a tiger stripe design on the free edge - all with acrylic. Just do the black very thin so it isn't pulled over the other color or do a reverse application (still, very thin) and then cap it with clear.

About the lifting - - If it's just a temporary set and going to be taken off after the holidays I wouldn't worry too much. But if they're staying on longer just show her how to check for lifting by gently sliding the edge of a nipper around the area where the acrylic meets the nail plate. If there is any lifting the edge will go in between the two. However, I've noticed that you can actually see any lifting even on black, just look for a slight color difference.

You could apply your white first, as normal, and then your black, and then buff away any overlapped black thats on the white. Then use clear to build up the shape and structure of the overlay.

Or do the reverse method - apply zones 3&2 first, round off where your smile line will be and once hardened, run a Kanga file around to sharpen that smile line curve up. Then apply the white. If it overlays onto the black, buff it off and then use clear to build the shape up!! (do a search on the reverse method, it's been discussed a few times before :))

Yes, the black can lift, just like any product and colour can!! You can tell if the black is lifting because you'll note how different it looks from the adhered product. If you look around the sidewalls and cuticle area, you can tell it's lifting as it will look as though it's popped off the nail plate instead of being sealed flat against it. But aslong as your prep and application are correct, you shouldn't have any lifting probs ;)

Yeah, she does intend to keep them for while, and it just worries me. If I did gel, I would use a gel polish, but unfortunately, the salon I work in isn't willing to try another system at the moment. So I think that all that just sounds too stressful for me and I will just tell her it's not a good idea. Thank you very much for tips though. :)

Could you not just polish them over natural l&p. Polish lasts so long on enhancements anyway, and then easy enough for you to sort each time, and she can ring the changes when she likes. Just a different angle to give her what she wants.

Latest posts

Back