Some advice on creating ombré extensions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mollie1985

Reaction score
Hi everyone I have a client who is about a number 2 in extension colour and she is wanting an ombré effect, she liked the colour 18 but I'm looking for advice on placement, been doing extensions for few years but never did it this way.

Her hair is below shoulder so I was thinking of doing the first row at the bottom the number 2 and then working my way up using the number 18 and then using the number 2 throughout the top sections and then razoring through to blend? Does that sound about right? Sometimes I'm not good at explaining and do it as I'm doing the hair but just looking for ideas xx

Hiya! I'd say get hold of pre made ombre/dip dye in a few shades and use them unless you are a hairdresser and happy to colour them. The way you describe tends to look a bit dated (like when we all had 2 tone hair in the 90!!) And doesn't look great when the hair moves xxx

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah yeah was thinking about when the hair moves, yeah I am a hairdresser but I don't like lightening the extension hair and feel when you darken blonde extensions it never comes out a nice shade lol mmm but stuck on what to do with this xx

I darken quite a lot to ombre (profile pic for example!) Then but make sure it's always a really warm shade! Also you tend to need to re tip! I know angel remy had a few shades, even of it wasn't a 2 on top u could tint it slightly? Sure other places must do pre made also :) x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Easier to just buy ready ombred extensions in the colour that matches her hair at top going in to whatever colour she wants to go at ends x

Sjk do custom hair so you can have whichever colour dip dye/ ombre you chose

Hi can I ask see the custom ones they have a definite line, but does this obviously disappear as you start placing them ? If you know what I mean xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1423510575.561863.jpg

I seen these but does it look like a line across the head once they are placed ? X

No shouldn't be a line because you'll be placing them at different heights but could possibly ask them to blend it more

Yeah I was thinking once their in but was just thinking about the top layer, thanks for your help il maybe purchase some of these xx

If you do a search for a thread called 'Blending ombre hair with ombre tips' you'll find loads of advice and pictures of how to achieve this without using dip dye extensions. Much nicer, softer effect xx (Sorry, I couldn't seem to post a link to it from the iPhone app?!)

Excellent il type that in thanks xx

That thread was excellent, explained exactly as I was initially going to do it xx

Sorry to jump in but I completed my extension course last Tuesday and have my first model But She's asked me for ombré hair. Her hair is just past her shoulders and it's dark brown. She wants 20inch hair. What would you recommend i do? Do I apply 200 strands of one lighter colour? Or do I apply two shades of a lighter colour? And then dye the hair extensions pulling the dark down? I'm no hairdresser :/ I had looked at the ombré range from glamorous lengths but they don't offer 20" ☹ X Im not sure on using ombré hair and have no idea on any good brands! Your advice will be much appreciated. I attached two pics one is length the other is her actual color on top! Tanya xx

Latest posts

Back