Some Shellac colours less robust - Dark Lava??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashlash

Reaction score
Hi all. Just a query. Do you think it's possible that some Shellac colours are less robust than others - just like some will be more prone to wrinkling than others (white puff, ashphalt, fedora)?

I have had one client with the new gorgeous Dark Lava - it was applied by another technician and chipped the next day. I did hers again and she only got 3/4 days out of it. She does have weak nails though.

I checked up on another client yesterday who I did last saturday with the same colour and no probs as yet.

However, to my horror I got a call from a client I did yesterday with Dark Lava and 3 of her nails had small chips at the corners of her quite square an quite short nails. But they had held onto that funny named turquoise one for 14 days with just a couple of flaws. So now it's making me doubt the durability of Dark Lava. I have attached a picture of her manicure yesterday, on this hand her index finger chipped. On the other it was her index and pinky. She has worn gloves and oiled with Solar and been really careful - it's not been even 24 hours before chips appeared!! I did a dry pep and scrub freshed really well - sealed ends etc.

Has anyone else had any problems with it? My colleague found hers lifted after a week but put that down to being a tecnician and had been doing alot of nails so more wear and tear than most.

Any feedback, greatly appreciated.

By the way, to repair, as she was short of time, I just wiped with D-sperse and then applied one more coat, cured 2 mins and then top coat. So let's see how that goes! Luckily she's a friend.

:irked:

Attachments

• sarah.jpg
    sarah.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4,445
Last edited:
I have Dark Lava but have not used it, yet.

In my experience, the darker and more opaque colors seem prone to wrinkling. I've never had a wrinkle with Beau, Clearly Pink, Negligee, etc.

I do think more care needs to be taken when applying the darker and more opaque colors.

However, when I do get a wrinkle, the topcoat 'fixes' it and I've had no problems with the Shellac wearing where the wrinkle was. HTH! :)

I wonder if you are applying the darker colours more thickly which is why you are getting the wrinkling and subsequent breakdown...remember thin to win...

I've been wearing dark lava now for nearly two weeks and have not had a problem. Just a tiny bit of wear on free edge, but no more than any other colour. I'm really pleased with it - I am hard on my nails - my other job is in retails and we use not very sensitive touch screen rolls, so my nails do get a bashing! I did however apply the dark lava in three coats as I felt the coverage was a little patchy after two. The colour I always have a problem with is fedora - and masquerade has been a little tricky sometimes!

I find with darker colors were more prone to trying to apply it a bit more thick then normal just because they tend to look see through. If this happens just apply a thin third coat, this is what I do with some darker colors for a fuller coverage.

As for you client whose chipping, if her nails are weaker then shellac wont last long on her. I have weak nails and get maybe a max of 10days out of any color. Also with short nails sealing the edge can be difficult and it's something you have to tell your client that it might not last the full 14days but will get better as the nails get longer. Are you sure that you getting the corners?? I used to find that short square nails were hard to seal in the corners just because you really have to pull the skin back.

hi hun

echoing everyones thoughts really. with the opaque/darker colours remember the first coat will look patchy, by adding the second you will get full coverage.

another suggestion, i think someone mentioned it above, just make sure when you swipe the free edge be sure not to leave the end bulbous as this would be prone to chipping as too much product on the end.

love n hugs xxx

I've had Dark lava on for a week now and it's still as perfect as the day i put it on. I love this colour!!! :)

I've been wearing dark lava since the second week of February and I think the complete opposite ... I loved it from the minute I saw it and it lasted beautifully for over 2 weeks, so I soaked it off and did it again with a bit of nail art the next time... This is the first time I've ever gone for the same colour, I usually love to change it but dark lava is just so lush and my nails have never been so abused in their lives than they have in the last few weeks :lol:

Thanks guys. Fab as always. Yes, I think I need to drag that excess colour off on the end and be prepared to do a third coat if necessary. This could be what happened. Thank you, thank you, thank you xx

Love Dark Lava! been wearing mine for 2 weeks and have had no problems. I thought it was a dream to apply and did 2 coats as normal. one of the colours i struggle with sometimes is fedora. but i know its down to me applying it too thick.

Well.....it's official. I have been wearing dark lava for 12 days now and there is no sign of a chip. So, in conclusion it is my clients not the application or the colour that is the problem!! I painted them very 1940's. I put the VIP silver on after the base coat and then applied the Dark Lava - 2 coats and then top coat. Looks amazing and very hard wearing it would seem and because the moons are painted out, it grows out brilliantly! Pics are Day 1, Day 10 and Day 12.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 10,049
  • IMG_1222.jpg
    IMG_1222.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 16,609
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 3,668

Latest posts

Back