Sore scalp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittone05

Reaction score
Am wondering if I can get any advice please.

I suffer from a realy, really sore scalp. There is a history of psoriosis (speeling?) and exma (sorry) in my family and while I don't have any outward symptoms on my skin, or normal "problem" areas, my scalp gets so sore.

I get lots of ridges in my scalp which feel like the surface is uneven.

Is there a medicated shampoo available over the counter that would help wo ease the pain and break the lumps down at all?

(making myself sound like the hunch back here lol)

I have very thick hair about 4" above my waist and I don't treat is badly - I stick with cheap shampoos that have no additives that may coat my hair, I maybe blow dry it once or twice a year and only straighten it once or twice a week if I am wearing it down - I do wear it up quite a lot though.

Any ideas folks :(

I suffer from this too, mainly if I am stressed. The only shampoo that I have found to make any difference at all (and i have tried loads) is Selsun, you can buy it over the counter at any chemist and it costs about 5 pounds, works well and normally you see results after a couple of washes.

Thanks Sherrie :D I shall try that shampoo tomorrow if our local chemists have it in stock xx

sometimes they have trial size bottles that are a bit cheaper, it will be behind the counter :hug:

I suffer from excema on my scalp and have very thick hair, I used to get a lotion from the doc's that you squirted out the bottle and god did it stink but worked a treat!! Went to a new docs and they gave me Olitum (think that's how you spell it) And I have to use it twice a week and it's useless - I woke up this morning with what I described to my hubby as small hills of excess skin :eek: It was everywhere and you'd think I had fleas the amount I've scratched!!!! And it only happenend over night! I've used polytar in the past too, which I found was ok when I didnt have a break out like I did today! Never used Selsun so might give it a go :)

Leanne - you have my scalp! That is exactly how mine is.

I am off to the chemist today to try and find some Selsun or a darn good alternative to help.

Shall let you know how it goes :D

I recently found out that one of the main reasons we have eczema, psoriasis, dandruff and itchy flaky skin on our heads is because shampoo manufactures use large doses off salt to thicken shampoo.

No wonder we're all itchy and flaky, salt is SO drying. :eek:

Leanne - you have my scalp! That is exactly how mine is.

I am off to the chemist today to try and find some Selsun or a darn good alternative to help.

Shall let you know how it goes :D

Well? did you find some? :green:

I know what you mean about the lumps and bumps, sometimes it feels like I have a head full of cornflakes!! :eek:

Nope although our main "good" chemist was closed for lunch so will go back either later or tomorrow.

People look at you like you have nits or something cos you are always scritching haha hopefully, I will be able to get some and get this sorted though :D

Yep, and I dont know about you but when i'm finished scratching I look like someone opened a bag of porridge on top of me!! :eek: lol

hehe yup :D

Seems it doesn't matter what I do though, it never eases. I take relatively good care of my hair and scalp complared to my friends who straighten twice a day, osme wash twice a day and all of them use masses of products. I use nothing - basic shampoo and no products so I can't even blame them for it.

Will let you know if the shampoo helps :)

ok, go and get some!! :green:

Leave it on a few mins, rinse, repeat, bet you'll feel better after the first wash! :hug:

I went to chemsits and asked them for some - the "generic" name for this shampoo is Alphosyl (my mum used to get this on prescription for her scalp too) and as I have come across it before, I know it is amazing stuff but did think it was only on prescription.

Shall let you know over the coming days how it goes :D

Yep, and I dont know about you but when i'm finished scratching I look like someone opened a bag of porridge on top of me!! :eek: lol

Oh yeah!!!!! When it's as bad as it is now! I dont even realise I'm itching half the time. And I then wonder why my heads sore :rolleyes: It drives my husband mad!! We were out yesterday at tesco's and I was scratching away and got a swift slap lol, but tbh I actually try to avoid wearing black tops when I'm going through it like this.

hi there, i have this in my scalp also - i use that shampoo, alphosyl but the thing i find really works is diprosalic scalp ointment - i get in on prescription from docs and its fab - i use once every 2 weeks and keeps my scally scalp at bay x

Thanks Kirsty - the Alphosyl seems ot be doing the trick so far in, not 100% better but getting there.

I shall speak to the docs when I am next in and see can I get some of the scalp ointment too :D

god you poor things, this sounds like such a horrible condition.
sometimes a get a very few flakes of dandruff but i can fix it by rubbing some conditioner into my scalp when i wash mt hair.
what a drag to have to put ointment in the hair. i hope you get some relief.

god you poor things, this sounds like such a horrible condition.
sometimes a get a very few flakes of dandruff but i can fix it by rubbing some conditioner into my scalp when i wash mt hair.
what a drag to have to put ointment in the hair. i hope you get some relief.

You get used to it! I've had it for years. Tbh most of the time it's ok but you get flare up out of no where and anything can cause it from stress to a change in your diet! It's something you put up with as unfortunetly there isnt a cure for it :(

You get used to it! I've had it for years. Tbh most of the time it's ok but you get flare up out of no where and anything can cause it from stress to a change in your diet! It's something you put up with as unfortunetly there isnt a cure for it :(

I agree fully :D I can be fine for months and then all of a sudden, boom it goes off again.

It is mostly manageable and I find really that it is only the heat that worsens mine when it does flare up.

Couldn't say what flares mine off in all honesty - I rarely change my diet and eat quite healthily, I don't get "stressed" as such as I have nothing to stress over lol Hubby os fab and kids are good as kids go, life is plodding along as always.

It is just one of them things I suppose but it is much better knowing I am not the only person who hates it - you do feel quite alienated at times because your friend's don't really get how uncomfortable it is :hug:

Latest posts

Back