Sorry for the rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautynail.IT

Reaction score
As the subject says!

Dear geeks, I wanted to check with you - do you get a lot of timewasters or is just me because I haven't established myself yet. I started doing mobile quite recently in the area that I also moved quite recently, so I kinda expected a slow start. Obviously since I have almost none existant client list - I am trying to advertise everywhere... And it is also obvious that I get all excited when someone new emails me with a request. But they all seem to stop communicating once the price is mentioned.

So I don't get it - is it just a coincidence or is it the price that puts them off? Personally I don't think I charge that much - shellac mani @ £22

I welcome any responce

I'm average price for my area and find this happens all the time as soon as I mention price! It really irritates me sometimes and makes me think am I doing something wrong!

Morning

You need to differentiate yourself from other techs. Currently, when someone emails you, the potential client just sees the price and they think 'oh, £22, I can get it for £20 with XXX' - that sort of thing. And it's not a case of lowering your prices as trust me, there will always be someone cheaper than you (and more expensive!).

So you need to not just focus on the price but on what 'added extras' the client would get by having their nails done with you and why they should come to you rather than someone else. And I don't mean giving away freebies but instead promoting yourself by stating things like [for example] - 'All nail treatments include full professional cuticle work and luxurious cuticle oil application upon completion.' 'Evening appointments available too so I can fit in around your busy lifestyle.' - etc, etc.

You should add a bit more explanation about what your service includes - it just brings it to the client's attention. As far as they are concerned, they are looking for someone to turn their nails from 'not done' to 'done', and they don't necessarily value all the extra work that is involved in a manicure other than the polish application itself.

Now even if your treatments ALWAYS include cuticle work and cuticle oil (presumably they do!) and if you ALWAYS offer evening appointments even if ALL other techs do exactly the same thing, the client won't necessarily appreciate that, as they are just focussing on the price. But by going into detail and spelling it out to them, it will make them think that they are getting a better service with you, compared with the competition.

There are lots of other techniques to 'condition' the enquirer into booking, along with closing the deal - you could say things like 'actually your enquiry comes at a great time as I've just today had a cancellation for next Tuesday at 3pm. Can I book that slot for you now?' - however use with caution as you don't want people to think that you are forever having cancellations! And never say 'get back to me if you want to book', 'look forward to hearing from you' - because you never will!! You need to make the enquirer want to come back to you.

Finally, try and reply to someone as soon as you get their message (assuming you are not in the middle of service), literally as soon as it comes in - research shows that more deals are closed if the enquirer gets a response within 20 minutes of their enquiry. And if the person includes their phone number in their email (I know people don't always), pick up the phone to them the instant you get their message - it's more difficult to say 'no' to someone on the phone and it would give you a great opportunity to sell your service.

I could go on....!!!

Hope that helps

Morning

You need to differentiate yourself from other techs. Currently, when someone emails you, the potential client just sees the price and they think 'oh, £22, I can get it for £20 with XXX' - that sort of thing. And it's not a case of lowering your prices as trust me, there will always be someone cheaper than you (and more expensive!).

So you need to not just focus on the price but on what 'added extras' the client would get by having their nails done with you and why they should come to you rather than someone else. And I don't mean giving away freebies but instead promoting yourself by stating things like [for example] - 'All nail treatments include full professional cuticle work and luxurious cuticle oil application upon completion.' 'Evening appointments available too so I can fit in around your busy lifestyle.' - etc, etc.

You should add a bit more explanation about what your service includes - it just brings it to the client's attention. As far as they are concerned, they are looking for someone to turn their nails from 'not done' to 'done', and they don't necessarily value all the extra work that is involved in a manicure other than the polish application itself.

Now even if your treatments ALWAYS include cuticle work and cuticle oil (presumably they do!) and if you ALWAYS offer evening appointments even if ALL other techs do exactly the same thing, the client won't necessarily appreciate that, as they are just focussing on the price. But by going into detail and spelling it out to them, it will make them think that they are getting a better service with you, compared with the competition.

There are lots of other techniques to 'condition' the enquirer into booking, along with closing the deal - you could say things like 'actually your enquiry comes at a great time as I've just today had a cancellation for next Tuesday at 3pm. Can I book that slot for you now?' - however use with caution as you don't want people to think that you are forever having cancellations! And never say 'get back to me if you want to book', 'look forward to hearing from you' - because you never will!! You need to make the enquirer want to come back to you.

Finally, try and reply to someone as soon as you get their message (assuming you are not in the middle of service), literally as soon as it comes in - research shows that more deals are closed if the enquirer gets a response within 20 minutes of their enquiry. And if the person includes their phone number in their email (I know people don't always), pick up the phone to them the instant you get their message - it's more difficult to say 'no' to someone on the phone and it would give you a great opportunity to sell your service.

I could go on....!!!

Hope that helps

Wow! These are really great pointers - thanks a lot. I always say "looking forward to hearing..." and indeed never do! Thanks a lot... I guess you live and learn every day :)

With every set I post on my fb page I include the price. At least then ppl can have a browse and know roughly how much it will cost them. I personally don't like it when prices aren't advertised xxx

With every set I post on my fb page I include the price. At least then ppl can have a browse and know roughly how much it will cost them. I personally don't like it when prices aren't advertised xxx
I fully agree put the prices on your adverts and that way anyone who contacts you is already happy to pay the price. But in your adverts also explain why you are the price you are don't put I charge £x because but as said above explain what your service entails eg cuticle work, cuticle oil, large selection of colours, list your qualifications, fully insured, genuine professional products, evening appointments etc even if you take these things as a given not all techs do proper prep work or are qualified etc put that info first then price at the bottom so they know what the service includes before reading the price. Also watch how you're replying to messages are you being professional? The amount of times I've emailed or messages someone new about an appointment and had a reply like .... Hey Hun ❤️ *whatever the message says* get in touch if you want the appointment xxxxx ❤️❤️ or something along those lines and I personally find that really off putting be friendly yet professional and remember these are future clients not your besties. Also check spelling and stuff in your replies xx

Yeah I tend to explain why the price is, e.g sculpted acrylic nails with gel polish and hand painted nail art, genuine swarovski etc. In my profile in the about me I say I am fully qualified, insured and use only professional products etc x

Fully agree with you nickysnails about the reply, I try to be friendly but professional. Hate loads of text language, spelling mistakes, hun and loads of kisses. I might do that when messaging a mate, but not a client! X

Thanks ladies for your replies. I personally don't like putting prices on facebook... not sure why. At the moment it is essentially my website so I should treat it as one I guess. Messages - I agree. Hate it when people are treating me like they know me. My background is corporate so this is probably one thing i know how to do 100% :)

If I take time to find out about a product or service and there is no price I automatically move on the next one.
All my ads have a price as does my FB profile. People don't want to call to find out a price, this isn't corporate. You might hate text language as do I however they now pay my wages regardless of our backgrounds.

I mean I hate it when professional use text language. If I was contacting a hair dressers I would expect them to use professional language, so I do, but clients can write however they want!! X

If I take time to find out about a product or service and there is no price I automatically move on the next one.
All my ads have a price as does my FB profile. People don't want to call to find out a price, this isn't corporate. You might hate text language as do I however they now pay my wages regardless of our backgrounds.

I agree about the price display. If I don't see a price then I am likely to look elsewhere that does display a price. I don't know why you wouldn't want to tell a client how much you charge?!

[emoji171]

I don't think £22 for a proper shellac mani is expensive but then it depends on area. Some geeks on here struggle terribly because local techs are offering full CND services for, well, not silly money but certainly a lot less than they should be.

Have you thoroughly sussed out what you're up against?

I don't think the problem is about displaying your price as of course clients want to know immediately but instead about *how* you display your price.

Take these 2 examples:
Example 1
Shellac manicure = £22. Call/message to book.

Example 2
Professional Shellac manicure by fully trained CND technician to include pre-treatment consultation, full cuticle work, choice of over xxx gorgeous colours and glitters, cuticle oil application, after care advice to ensure a beautiful xx-day lasting manicure, all using professional products =£22. Evening and weekend appointments also available. Call/message to book for that perfect manicure.

OK so they are quite extreme in their approach and it would all get a bit wordy to use example 2 for all of your treatments but hopefully you get the message. It's all about selling the value of your service, not the price (even though you do still specify the price).

Also, make your price structure simple...I know there are options / add ons in any manicure but sometimes you need A level maths to work out how much it's all going to cost!

Best of luck

I don't think £22 for a proper shellac mani is expensive but then it depends on area. Some geeks on here struggle terribly because local techs are offering full CND services for, well, not silly money but certainly a lot less than they should be.

Have you thoroughly sussed out what you're up against?

Yeah, I am coming up on a lower end of my competition, at least the nail salons around my area. So unless people that are enquiring about the price alreayd are used to silly money it shouldn't cause that much of a difference.

I don't think the problem is about displaying your price as of course clients want to know immediately but instead about *how* you display your price.

Take these 2 examples:
Example 1
Shellac manicure = £22. Call/message to book.

Example 2
Professional Shellac manicure by fully trained CND technician to include pre-treatment consultation, full cuticle work, choice of over xxx gorgeous colours and glitters, cuticle oil application, after care advice to ensure a beautiful xx-day lasting manicure, all using professional products =£22. Evening and weekend appointments also available. Call/message to book for that perfect manicure.

OK so they are quite extreme in their approach and it would all get a bit wordy to use example 2 for all of your treatments but hopefully you get the message. It's all about selling the value of your service, not the price (even though you do still specify the price).

Also, make your price structure simple...I know there are options / add ons in any manicure but sometimes you need A level maths to work out how much it's all going to cost!

Best of luck

Thanks for a detailed reply - really helpful. I do show what exactly I am offering on the FB page, so not in every single detail but not a single word/line either. So all I am lacking is the price. I probably should try and put the price up there as well.
But my messages probably lack the details... since I "assume" (silly of me) that since people visited my page and now went to the trouble of contacting me they would have looked at what I am offering.. so definately should revisit it.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back