Spray tan nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S_E_H

Reaction score
Hey, I spray tanned my sister last night - it was my first proper tan since training (Sienna X) and I made a complete rookie mistake of not doing a patch test (she doesn't have sensitive skin but hasn't had a spray tan before). I totally didn't think to do one as I hadn't had a spray tan before my training day either and was completely fine.

Anyway this morning she had a shower and then came out in a rash pretty much all over her body (she is not sure if the rash was there before the shower too) apart from her legs and face (although her face felt 'tight' like she'd been sitting in the sun). The rash is pimply and initially not itching although she has not long texted saying it is starting to itch. Tried calling Sienna X for advice but they are closed over weekend so thought I'd seek advice from you fellow salon geeks!!

I feel so disheartened with the whole experience but I won't be making the patch test mistake again - would you suggest to always do one or just if they have not had spray tan/used fake tan products for and/or have sensitive skin?

I've advised her to try and get rid of the tan as soon as possible but obviously don't want it to aggrevate her skin further.....what do you suggest she should do?

I thought reactions to spray tans were pretty rare - typical it has to happen with my first one (good job I did it for free and she's my sister!!)

Any help would be great! Ive asked for a call back from Sienna X on Monday.

Never had anyone have a reaction but if she takes an antihistamine she should be fine hun x

Sent from the catphone

With anyone who has never had a spray tan or used self tanner before it's always going to be a risk not to patch test. The most likely cause of irritation is fragrance and colour guide. Very rarely is it a reaction to DHA although this is always possible. You should always advise your clients that if they have any irritation at any point after you have sprayed them they must shower off immediately. There's not much you can do now but advise her not to scrub her skin which will irritate more. Use something soothing on the skin to calm it down in the meantime. Speak to your supplier for advice.
HTH

Thanks. Yeah I am waiting for Sienna X to give me a call. I won't be making the same mistake again that's for sure!!

Heard from Sienna X - was advised to provide my sister with some instant brozing gel (as it doesn't contain DHA) which may be what caused the reaction/rash. If not she is allergic to one of the many ingredients - so would be a process of elimination. My sister is gutted - she was looking forward to having regular spray tans!

Has anyone else known a client to be allergic to DHA?
Thanks

Heard from Sienna X - was advised to provide my sister with some instant brozing gel (as it doesn't contain DHA) which may be what caused the reaction/rash. If not she is allergic to one of the many ingredients - so would be a process of elimination. My sister is gutted - she was looking forward to having regular spray tans!

Has anyone else known a client to be allergic to DHA?
Thanks

Not a client but a friend is. She comes out in hives all over x

Sent from the catphone

Latest posts

Back