Spray tan turned Green!!!!! eek!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, does any of you spray tanners out there have a green problem? My dancers insist on being totaly dark. They used to be happy with two layers. Now they want 3 layers. But it seems the more layers they have the more green they look. Not straight away but after a couple of hours? Could it be a chemical reaction because there is just too much on their skin. I am using the 16% too! :rolleyes:

How long have you had the solution? Once they start getting old they will start to go green. Or maybe you left the lid off a bottle or maybe they have perfume or something on though i doubt that if all of them have gone green. I have used 16% before and never had a green problem-maybe orange:green:
I think this is definitely a problem with your solution

Hi, does any of you spray tanners out there have a green problem? My dancers insist on being totaly dark. They used to be happy with two layers. Now they want 3 layers. But it seems the more layers they have the more green they look. Not straight away but after a couple of hours? Could it be a chemical reaction because there is just too much on their skin. I am using the 16% too! :rolleyes:

This happened with me a few weeks back. Its not a chemical reaction its the guide colour of the tan. This problem could be caused by a few things

A: They need to wash guide colour off in 24 hours
B: Air has got into the lotion or it has been in a heated location

To be honest 16% of 3 layers is very dark perhaps if you say to them have two layers in 24 hours wash off guide colour then around a day later or two days apply the third coat.

hths x

This doesnt sound like a solution problem but more one of to much solution being applied to quickly....3 layers of 16% applied imediatley on top of each other is bound to give you either DHA overload or colour guide tinting problems.

Ok so they like it dark....3 coats 16% is madness...better they get down to B&Q and get some dark origional oak fence paint :eek:

But seriously..I can see your problem in that your customer wants dark on dark on dark.....I realy do think that the outcome problem you are having is as a result of the 3 coats you are applying on top of each other....each layer doesnt get the chance to dry properly or soak into the skin so I guess the solution is floating about on the skins surface remixing itself...outcome....jolly green giant:eek:

If the 2 coat method you previously used didnt give the green effect maybe consider going back to this and maybe putting intensity drops into the 16 % and take it up to an 18%...may just do the trick for you :hug:

How long have you had the solution? Once they start getting old they will start to go green. Or maybe you left the lid off a bottle or maybe they have perfume or something on though i doubt that if all of them have gone green. I have used 16% before and never had a green problem-maybe orange:green:

Glad I did not buy loads of it then! I am using solspa show tan and Isis ever heard of them?

B&Q it is then!!
I think you are right as it only ever happens when I spray the dancers. I will be more assertive in future, i did warn them that it could happen but they still want to be darker.
Grrrrrrr

B&Q it is then!!
I think you are right as it only ever happens when I spray the dancers. I will be more assertive in future, i did warn them that it could happen but they still want to be darker.
Grrrrrrr

OMG I can't believe they have 3 coats of 16%!! Maybe sample a few different makes of tan?

i hope they pay more for all the extra solution you use on them:eek:

i hope they pay more for all the extra solution you use on them:eek:

I made a big mistake by not charging them extra. I think I will just draw the line on the two sprays.

Glad I did not buy loads of it then! I am using solspa show tan and Isis ever heard of them?

I have heard of Solspa but not the other one and i've never used either so i can't comment. The 16% i used was Siennasol and it is very dark and used mostly by dancers. Maybe you could get a few samples from different companies and have a play about. A lot of solutions now have booster drops which might be better.

Do the dancers shower before dancing? Green is usually a reaction with the colour guide and is caused by excessive perspiration amongst other things so they must sower the guide off before exerting themselves. If you apply more than one coating you should leave at least 24 hrs (and a shower!) between applications. 3 coats of 16% will soon cause uneven fade off and dryness so isn't really reccomended - 2 should be enough. We can supply a special dancers / body builders tan at 22%. PM if interested

No they do not shower. I will take your advise (along with others) and just limit the spary. Also leave 24 hours between sprays. Thank you.:green: Also I am changing my tan supplier, going to try Tantrick.

Hi again. I am very interested in the 22% please could you give me more info. My dancers will love it.

No they do not shower. I will take your advise (along with others) and just limit the spary. Also leave 24 hours between sprays. Thank you.:green: Also I am changing my tan supplier, going to try Tantrick.

If you are going to try Tantrick it would be well worth trying Tantrick Max which has been developed specifically for the darker tan in mind..this would be ideal for your dancers.

Whilst Tantrick Max is currently a 10% mix it produces a far darker tan than the Tantrick original range..more colour guide and a more dark tropical base tan.....you can increase the DHA concentrate through using the Max intensifier drops (35% DHA concentrate) and take the solution up to whatever concentrate you wish...although each and every individual has a saturation point that is anywhere between 16-18%..after that higher concentrates are merely a sales gimmick.

The Max range is due to be extended in about 2 weeks...the 10% base solution will have a further 14% and 18% concentrate mix option :eek:..ideal for the dancers though :hug:

Just as a bit of a tip...with dancers its a good idea to introduce them to the party shimmer moisturiser gel...this has a slight gold shimmer effect and is accentuated under the spotlight further enhancing the tan look :hug:

What tanning product is it that you are using?
and are you exfoliating for them or are they doing it?
they may have products on already to cause the tanning agent to react with the products they already have on.
Hope ive sort of helped lol. x

Last edited:
You sure do know your stuff Collin. I will certainly try that. Did you get my e-mail regarding The Teacher in Wiltshire??

I was using Isis. I will be changing it to tan trick i think. Going to test it tomorrow.

the solution has simply became oxidiesed

I forgot to ask..are they still green after they showered?
Oh and btw....if you start to get on the "more sprays = more solution" it won't work. Simply because....what if you have an obese client? Would you charge more?
NO it would be insulting. You have to get a solution that makes your clients happy.
Regardless of how many sprays etc. x

Just an idea - have you offered them a top up spray on top of one layer within 3 days of the original spray? I don't know how this would fit in with your timetable but it may help but a little inconvenient.

Good luck at B and Q!

Latest posts

Back