Spray tanning help needed please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs-c

Reaction score
Hi, I completed my tan training recently with la tan, I have the maximist compact machine - (ts20) I think it's also known as.
Ive sprayed a friend today with la 10% & I couldn't even see the tan going on her skin so I started to panic :( maybe I'm stood to far back? I know your supposed to be around 6 inches away? Is that 6 inches from the client or 6 inches from the tent? I had a fiddle with the twiddly adjuster at the back of my machine & tested on couch roll as I've seen posts saying this on here.
Does anyone else have the same machine & have it set a specific way while your a new tanner?
Also my friend today had dry knees so I used la tan barrier cream very thinly applied & once I eventually finished tanning her (not that there was much tan to see btw) her knees were dark & patchy!
I've tanned my own legs last night too & they are patchy on my thighs!
I have zero confidence & I'm thinking maybe tanning isn't for me? Although I don't want to give up. I saved up money all year to do the tanning so I just want to learn.
Also no one wants to let me practice on them lol suppose its not funny really though! I've even offered freebies but nope! Sadly though thats how most of my family/friends are :(
I'd like to become a good spray tanner one day though & when they ask for a tan I will remember were they were when I needed them :)
Sorry for the ramble just trying to make sure all the questions I have are answered. Thanks x

I'm tanning my husband tomorrow night
he's asked me that once the tan has developed if it's crap how can he remove it quickly! I don't think people realise when they say things like this it makes you feel even worse (sigh) x

Don't panic your new. I think we have the same machine so I tighten the screw at the back until it won't turn no more then I turn it back a turn and a half and then spray on to couch roll and if its not right I adjust it then. How was the tan when you sprayed it on the couch roll anyway? Just right? Have you been moisturising and exfoliating? And on the practice side of things, its so key so if family and friends don't take it advertise but charge like £5 as its so important after about 8 tans you will feel confident and be able to charge normal prices. People will definatly want one this time of year! xxx

Make sure your customer has exfoliated properly and has no products on their skin. Spray about 6-10 inches away from the body. If you could not see colour going on, possibly the tan was too light for her skin? I use la tan, and the guide colour should easily be seen on the skin.
Lastly, don't give up, practice makes perfect!

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Thanks for replying, on the couch roll it looked ok didn't soak through to the back just looked the right kind of colour but yet I couldn't see it going onto the skin. My friend hasnt got dark skin either just like a medium colour, Kind of worries me that this will happen on a paying customer, ive set a Facebook page up but how do I word my advert for reduced price tans? I don't want to make people think 'oh I'm not using her if she's new & clueless' I keep thinking give yourself a break you have only been trained 2 days lol & I know practising will make things better but I'm pretty afraid to practice :rolleyes: im a fully grown adult & I'm afraid to spray a bit of tan on someone's skin.. Pathetic really xx

Sienna x has a lovely dark guide colour. You can see exactly where it is going which helps out us newbies!

I have sprayed my boyfriends legs a few times! He wasn't very keen on letting me do it but I explained that as it's winter no one is going to see them! So he keeps his lovely brown legs hidden under his jeans!!

Ok, do you have enough light as this will make a big difference in seeing the guide colour.
If your using LA Tan 10% (and not the 10% gold) then it has a double dip guide so if your struggling to see it and you have enough light I would say your gun is set too low, the guide is easy to see in the correct lighting so maybe invest in a clip on light and a daylight bulb like these:

UK PLUG CLIP ON LIGHT BAYONET FITTING 2 METRE CABLE | eBay
with a daylight bulb:
Energy saving natural bright daylight bulbs BC22 Bayonet Cap 15W=75W | eBay

I find my clip on lights a godsend at this time of year and in houses with little natural light.

As others have said the front of your gun needs to be about 6" away from the body and you need to move at a nice pace, if you go too fast you won't see the spray and if you go too slow you will have too much spray and will get runs & mottled areas. These areas will still develop fine and you don't need to panic about them but it shows you that your spraying too much onto that area (I found the chest area is a classic for this to happen).

In the beginning I posted on my facebook page 'who wants a free tan?' and I got loads of people offering. I told them I was trialing different solutions and would just require they answer a short questionaire for me in exchange for the free tan. I did a few practice tans with one solution then I trialed different solutions on people.

You don't have to tell them your new at tanning if you don't want to but even if you do then in my expereince it made no difference, people were happy to have something for nothing - especially at this time of year when money is tight lol.

**Oh yeah and microfibre cloths are fantastic for after the tan has developed for helping to even out any areas you got too much spray or patchy areas on wear off. The normal microfibre cloths you get in the cleaning isle at all supermarkets - just wet it and ring out until damp and then rub gently the over-tanned/patchy area. When washing the cloths DON'T use fabric softener as it stops the cloths working.

Latest posts

Back