Spray Tans- Why don't clients listen??!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swezen

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I just thought I would have moan about clients who come for spray tans as I've just about had enough of them!

I am very very thorough and since I opened my salon (6 years ago), I've done approx 3000 tans, So I know what I'm doing! My biggest bugbear are clients who come dressed inappropriately after they have already been told what to wear, i.e. clients who come in white skinny jeans!! Also clients who dont follow instructions and come with a face full of make up and then use 6 or 7 of my wipes to take it off!
The next common annoyance is after the tan is applied, I thoroughly wipe over their hands and nails. And specifically tell the clients, DO NOT TOUCH ANYWHERE on themselves as their hands will be covered in tan, and the area they have touched will have tan missing. But time and time again again, They think they know best and start patting all over their body saying...."is it dry yet?" They then have tan all over their hands, so I have to use ANOTHER wipe to clean them up.
This usually happens on top of the client running late to begin with, and with all their messing around making extra work for me, makes me EVEN later for my next client!! Sometimes I don't know how I keep so calm and professional.

Do other people get as frustrated as me with spray tan clients???
:mad:

LOL I think these issues are universal. I am complete newbie and have come across all of these problems in the apprx 30 tans ive done! I even give people a leaflet and some exfoliator to use and they obv dont read it!

It is a bit annoying as they are the first to complain if something is wrong with the tan. I had a lady insisit on a 12% sienna, even wrote it on her con card as I didn't think she should have it but she thought she should and I always make a point of cleaning hands and she rang me the next morning and said its all patchy on my hands and they are orange! I just asked politely if she remembered me cleaning them and then she admitted she had been touching the tan before it dried!!

I get more nervous about my tans than waxing as its so dependent on what the client has done before and after.

Caroline xxx

Completly agree!
I always tell clients to wear dark lose clothing or bring some with them, yet they will wear skinny jeans, leggings etc!!
Had a girl who was about 18-19 who turned up in white skinny jeans and a white top and white underwear!! She also had blonde hair and I gave her a clip to tie her hair up and she said she cant as it will kink her hair as she had just straightned it!! But she will hold it up instead! Ummmm well no that wont work!

lol this is so true but I find it happens with all treatments, just part of working with people.:rolleyes:

Sooo true...

funniest one was giving someone pre spray tan advice and i mentioned not to apply any deodorant and the young lady asked "what about roll on??" pmsl

the customer always know best...or so they think

you tell them not to put on deodorant and they swear blind they dont have any on...then BINGO...just as you spray the tan on the armpits go GREEN

Lol:lol: There's just no telling some people is there. Doesn't matter how good you are and how professional you treat the client there will always be someone along the way who's not happy. As said before it's what you come to expect working with the public.:rolleyes: But if you look at it another way and see how many satisfied clients you have, who love what you do and that is why they come back for more:)

I've had a client put a pair of tights on straight after a tan. Clients have put jeans on and all sorts. The way i apply my tan means it is dry in a couple of minutes and i've never had a problem. I've not had one complaint and i do a LOT of tans.
I tested a lot of solutions when i first started and i always made sure that i didn't exfoliate beforehand and didn't moisturise after as i want a tan that still performs well, even if the clients ignore advice (and we all know they do :rolleyes:)
So i've either got extremely good clients or an extremely good solution :)

Most of my clients are good so far......lol but as I had said to one lady to only shower with water and use shower gel on bits and pits and face 1st day after tan, she thought she'd done a great thing doing this before her tan :lol: I was spraying and it seemed to be sitting on the skin a ittle and armpits went a bit greeny lol xx

I've had a client put a pair of tights on straight after a tan. Clients have put jeans on and all sorts. The way i apply my tan means it is dry in a couple of minutes and i've never had a problem. I've not had one complaint and i do a LOT of tans.
I tested a lot of solutions when i first started and i always made sure that i didn't exfoliate beforehand and didn't moisturise after as i want a tan that still performs well, even if the clients ignore advice (and we all know they do :rolleyes:)
So i've either got extremely good clients or an extremely good solution :)
I've not had any complaints with the tan solution I use also as it dries very quickly and does not leave a greasy film on the skin. I too tried out a few different tans and settled for the one I use now. I have quite fair skin so I am a good model for myself were tans are concerned and have applied many to see how they measure up. :)

THe funniest one i have ever had is the girl who put fishnets on AFTER having her tan..... now she didnt come into the wearing them........ but hey presto when she finally came out of the room, she was all dolled up, make up, jewellery and high heels and fishnets...............

I couldnt believe my eyes.........for once in my life i was gobsmacked...

I empathise with you all!

I had a client today for her first ever spray tan. She was airing off so I said, don't touch your body anywhere because all of it has tan on it.
She was an older lady and I thought she had understood until she put her hands on her black underwear! Obviously not.

I reminded her of what I asked but she repeatedly did it and then touched her body and complained that her palms were brown. I cleaned them and then said, I did tell you not to touch your skin.

I also had to re-do her polish on her toes as she stood up as soon as I finished and smudged them. Sometimes I feel like not doing it lol but I know I should really.

lol ooo what we have to put up with, every time i find myself getting frustrated i just remind meself 'think of the money' lol and that just makes it all easy!

I had a client who ignored advice and came in with legs that were bleeding from being shaved and i mean blood running down her legs!

I had an elderly lady today for a spray tan, told her to take her clothes off bar her underwear and I would be back in the room in a minute. Came back and she was naked and standing in the tent! Tried to tell her she could of left her clothes on then she said "what did you say dear I cant hear u properly I dont have my hearing aid in today" bless!!
Just got on with it lol!

I also had one client, who came at 'that time' of the month. And insisted on being naked and when she turned round for me to spray her back of her legs all I could see was a Tampax string dangling down!!

Oh Dear!

ewwwwwww lol xxx:eek:

I had an elderly lady today for a spray tan, told her to take her clothes off bar her underwear and I would be back in the room in a minute. Came back and she was naked and standing in the tent! Tried to tell her she could of left her clothes on then she said "what did you say dear I cant hear u properly I dont have my hearing aid in today" bless!!
Just got on with it lol!

Lol:lol: That's so funny. This has happened to me a couple of times also where the client has stood stark naked in the tanning tent and you just have to get on with it as you do. :)

lol, we've had clients pop their head out of the room with no clothes on to tell our staff they were ready. Reception full of other clients but that didn't matter to them:eek:! The ones who are the worst tend to be the ones who have it done all the time, shaving before coming for appt etc.

:lol: oh i laughed so much reading this thread im so glad i know everyone else gets all these problems with their spray tan clients!! sumtimes think it could only happen 2 me lol .... yea ive had them all clients wearing leggings and skinny jeans and wearing white then moaning its on their clothes! clients whove stripped right off naked an i jus get on with it and wen u know uu did perfect spray an everything an client complains thn turns out they did sumthing after an its their fault and armpits goin green wen they say they havnt got deodorant on lol ah the joys of working with people sumtimes lol :green:

it is very frustrating, although, i must admit the dentist always tells me to floss but i never bother doing that so i guess its the same for a lot of professions!:smack:

I dont have a problem with them getting naked, Im very comfotable my self in the buff lol I asked when I did my training if I could be naked as I dont like tan lines, think the other ladies were a bit shocked :lol: one said oooh ure brave, to which I replied hey we've all got the same bits n pieces! hahaha xx

Latest posts

Back