Staff arguments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyema

Reaction score
Two of my staff members are at loggerheads and im new to managememt so not sure how to approach the situation!! One is a star staff member goes above and beyond to keep the salon spotless to the point where im throwing her out an hour after she finishes work before she starts bleaching my shoes or something.... the other is ok but wont go out of her way to spend time after work cleaning etc... the "star pupil" we will say is ****** as she feels she has to pick up after the other girl and theres a lot of bitchy commemts being thrown around. I dont know how to keep the peace and it is causing serious tension in the salon. Any tips appreciated....

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
I would give the 'star' employee a bonus. Either a voucher or cash payment. Doesn't have to be large but it will show her she's appreciated and that her extra effort is being noticed!

You dont even need to let the other one know the gift has been given however I am sure word will spread!

It will either make her pull her head in or cause issues but at least the employee who is doing the right thing will be happy and she is the one you want to keep in your good books, I know I would!

Last edited:
Welcome to the industry lol,there's always one that stirs the cup,I would have meetings with each member of staff,individually,not just these 2,find out where you could improve,where you could change things,if there are any issues that need addressing,colaberate all info,call a mass meeting and go through points,no one will feel awkward as they won't know who said what, x x

Individual and Group meeting for all staff is the way to go initially as it doesn't single anyone out...but essentially if the problem persists beyond this I think you will need a meeting with them together & be sure you control that meeting. This happened recently with me...my colleague being difficult,group meeting didn't work so it had to be thrashed out. It hasn't 100% worked as iv decided to move on-however it made me think...okay if this doesn't improve by ? date...this isn't for me & you could think the same with your two new employees. The proof is in the pudding! Hopefully a meeting will get positive results!

Tinkerbel, can I please poach your "star" ones like that are hard to find lol

Seriously, a staff meeting with all, lay down the ground rules, everyone mucks in to help etc, after all what client like to walk into a battle field.

Maybe have a rota? But stress whoever is not busy, helps the other.....good luck, I was pants at pulling the reins in at first, but you soon get used to it :)

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Personally, I would meet with both staff members individually and say that I had noticed tension between them and invite them to let you know what the issues are and go from there. There could be more to it than you realise, and things like this have a habit of getting worse and clients often pick up on tension between staff. Good luck :)

what about a cleaning rota?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have talked to one but not the other so far.... we are busy at the mo so its going to be next week before I can call a mass meeting! A bonus isnt an option as I dont decide these things! My "star" arrived today with her hoover from home as we dont have one we just sweep up then spent 30 mins after work while I was cashing up and getting readh for tomorrow hoovering the floors, skirting, pedi chairs etc etc I had to jump out of the way several times in case she hoovered me up.... she is unbelievable and no im not leaving anyone poach her!!

I think if she's bringing in her own hoover then the salon needs to invest in one. Maybe a nice gesture if a bonus is not possible, nothing worse than going above and beyond and getting no recognition. Not saying you are not grateful but incentives go a long way. I know this from experience

I think if she's bringing in her own hoover then the salon needs to invest in one. Maybe a nice gesture if a bonus is not possible, nothing worse than going above and beyond and getting no recognition. Not saying you are not grateful but incentives go a long way. I know this from experience

Absolutely.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

If my salon can't afford to treat a special staff member then I do it out of my own pocket. But then it's my salon.

The star definitely needs to be shown that a gesture of some sort , aslong as it is sincere then it doesn't matter what it is.

How about a star of the month system where all efforts go towards one special person receiving the awards set out what is expected as their "normal" duties and set out some examples of above and beyond. The star if the month can recover a badge (a couple of quid off of eBay) or a gold star in their badge etc, and maybe a token gift like a new look voucher.

Can you approach who is in charge of the purse strings about a small gift like this once a month. I'm sure when you explain your are aiming to increase teamwork and improve productivity then they won't say no to £20 a month? It's a small investment to something which can be hugely beneficial to the salon.

Research forming - storming - norming - performing you may find your team sits in storming and once you understand the characteristics of that stage then you should be able to come up with steps to move the team into norming and eventually performing.

Good luck managing teams can be very tough work, and there is so much more to it than being a manager.

I'm doing a level 5 management leadership course which has opened up my eyes to the complexity of management!

Jemima :)

I think setting up a bonus/ inventive that is clearly for one person to win is seriously going to put someone's nose out of joint.

If I was the other girl I'd think 'sod that, the 'star' is clearly going to win.

We had to jig around some incentives because there was always one clear winner and in the end the staff thought what's the point if xxx is going to win.

It's not an incentive if this girl is doing it anyway. She's sounds like someone who may like to take on a more managerial role at some point. Everyone is individual you can't judge all staff by one girls standard.

TBH, if she is going above her normal job role then there's not an issue, is the other girl not fulfilling her job or she just isn't going above and beyond? If the first then you need to ask her to pull her wait. I suggest a rota is a better option. But then you are changing their jobs roles.

Firstly I'd have a meeting and just mention you don't take kindly to animosity in the team- with anyone (not sure if you've only got two staff?)
You want this to be a pleasant environment for staff and clients. Any you take this stuff seriously. Then maybe a little staff dinner might help, which is recognising all hard work.

If that doesn't work then start having serious chats individually.

Have talked to one but not the other so far.... we are busy at the mo so its going to be next week before I can call a mass meeting! A bonus isnt an option as I dont decide these things! My "star" arrived today with her hoover from home as we dont have one we just sweep up then spent 30 mins after work while I was cashing up and getting readh for tomorrow hoovering the floors, skirting, pedi chairs etc etc I had to jump out of the way several times in case she hoovered me up.... she is unbelievable and no im not leaving anyone poach her!!

Am i to take it the meeting was with the 'star'?

No my meeting was withthe other girl who feels she is being thrown nasty comments for not doing things. She does her job and thats it so I cant see how I can force her to do anything more than that as we dont get paid at all for any voluntary cleaning after work its just something I do myself most of the time. I have four girls at the moment. And a hoover is top of the list for investments. We have all tiles but they still need a rub of the hoover once a week as dust gets everywhere (naturally in a nail bar)

Ahhhh stress! Thanks for all the replies!!

Incentives are an idea.... need to come up with a formal plan for them and put it into place.

I thought cleaning is part of the job?

My mum works in a nursery and cleaning is part of there job. She complains the amount of work experience and apprentices they get that flat out refuse to clean anything as 'they are there to work with kids, not clean'. She tells them it's the job they all do it they should help out too.

The salon I work in we do not get paid to clean but we do. Our day is full of clients, laundry, answering doors phones and messages, washing up, cashing up, folding towels, sterilising equipment. On a Saturday we blitz the entire salon up stairs and downstairs, all treatment rooms (all 7) clean our toilet and windows. We all do this it is part of our job forget not getting paid for it a salon that strives to go above and beyond and keep a highly maintained salon will be successful. Would you want to go to a salon that cleaned when they felt like it? I think you need a rota every person needs to pull their weight the attitude of I don't get paid so dont need to do it is a bad one purely because if everyone does the sane it does not need to be an issue

Always have stated in your contracts of employment:

' You may be required to perform such other/and/or additional duties within your skill and competence as the business or employer may require'.

This prevents any issue of 'its not my job'.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you are being unfair comparing the two. Neither is obligated to stay beyond their paid, contracted hours to clean.
I do my job, clean my section and wash any pots and then I go home to my family, does this mean I don't get "star" status?

Im not trying to be unfair by comparing the two. I have no problem with my other girl, she does her job, cleans up after it as she goes and goes home. End of. I dont expect any more of her. My problem is the arguement thats going on! Im just not sure how to calm the situation without offending either to the point where I have mutiny!

Im not trying to be unfair by comparing the two. I have no problem with my other girl, she does her job, cleans up after it as she goes and goes home. End of. I dont expect any more of her. My problem is the arguement thats going on! Im just not sure how to calm the situation without offending either to the point where I have mutiny!

You need to tell the star to back off. She choses to be a clean freak, for whatever reason ( my money is she is a bit of a martyr). She can't moan about the other girl not pulling her weight when the other girl is fulfilling her job role.
She choses to be "a star" the other girl choses to do her job and go home.

Latest posts

Back