Stained and frustrated (extension vs. tint)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfairy

Reaction score
I have recently started working with a new system of hair extensions aimed at women with a serious hair loss. Its a new system, so there aren't many sources of help for me. You are my last and only line of rescue.

Part of working with this new system, 'The Enhancer', is colouring extension hair- This is where the problem is. The hair is attached to a rubber base, which imitates the scalp. I have worked out a method of colouring the hair to achieve the target colour, but the roots and base are always darker. i have tried everything! I have used up every bit of my hairdressing knowledge, i'm exhausted. i need outside help, i need your help. (ref point: remember the block/doll heads you would have used in college? remember trying to dye the hair? the stains on the block? thats the closest thing i can relate this to)

i've made a list of everything i've tried:

• apply colour on Midlengths and ends first, then the roots -- colour was too light at roots
  • 'feathering; the tint onto the roots, trying to avoid the rubber -- tint seeped onto rubber
  • applying to Midlenghts and ends, then emulsifying the colour to to the roots--- stained and was uneven
  • foining all the hair -- couldnt get close enough to the roots, as the 'pull' you can get on a real scapl isn't present on the rubber. it resulted in a stipped pattern on the rubber scalp
  • using a demi-perm tint -- stained
  • using a lighter colour at the roots -- stained and was uneven
  • used hairspray/stain remover/tint to lift tint/cigarette ash/ alcohol/milk/toothpaste/baking soda/L'oreal colour zap/bleach to remove the stains --- NOTHING HAPPENED!
The clients haven't had a problem with the dark roots, but as a professional i need it to be perfect. i will be grateful for any help regarding:
  • colouring extension hair
  • avoiding stains
  • removing stains
Thanks,

zee x

Hi, what a nightmare for you ,
It sounds like the hair that is in these peices is processed hair , therefore
you may never get an even colour , I don't suppose you could pre order them the right colour so you dont have to tint them ? :hug:

they come in very limited colours. i tint them myself to stop them from looking like a wig. i dont suppose that theres someone out there who has experience in wig making/colouring/tiniting...

could you get darker shades and then use differant strengths of bleach lightly combed through to soften it?

Hi there yes, I trained in postiche and wig making although a long time ago
but I do keep it up although only on a small scale now :)
and from what you are saying I can tell that the problem is not you ,
you are doing everything right and you have been down every possible route that you can think of ,

the problem I think lays with the actual hair that is in your pieces and it sounds like it is processed hair and processed hair is a nightmare to try and colour ,

sometimes if you try to tint hair that has been chemically processed it can even get hot and fall to pieces simply because it has been through that many chemical processes ,

if you need any more help you could contact Banbury postiche wig making a ring and ask for Nick Allen he is really good and may be able to offer some more advice
here is a link ,

good luck , :hug:
let us know how you get on :)

Products Page

here are a couple of links that may help

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/...tml?highlight=can+i+colour+my+hair+extensions

http://www.salongeek.com/hair-geek/....html?highlight=understanding+hair+extensions

Latest posts

Back