Start up advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhea Marsden

Reaction score
Hello,

I currently work in a large corporate organisation and I have realised this isn’t for me anymore life is too short not to love your job!

I am currently qualified to do manicures and have been on a calgel course will start building my client base from home.

My vision moving forward is open a salon in two years after building a good client base and at the same time become fully qualified however I have 3 options and I’m trying to do my research and find mentors to help me along the way so I hope you can help!

Opt 1. Start a undergrad degree in business management which will take 4 years and initially I will invest in tanning salons and only offer beauty treatments such as nails, eyelashes and spray tans in which I can attend 1 or two day courses alongside my degree.

Opt 2. I understand a Beauty Therapy & Starting your own business Level 3 NCFE which will take 12 months and award me with level 3 certificate in both areas.

Opt 3. Do a level 2 & 3 NVQ in beauty therapy. I have had feedback that this more recognised by employers rather than starting your own business.

any help and advice would be appreciated!!

I would opt for the latter, I feel this is more recognisable and you will learn practical business knowledge from working in the industry!
You can then go onto a management course once you have more industry knowledge! ....

And congrats! You have made a great move! I did the same 9 years ago, couldn't be happier xx

Option 1, all bases covered (you have a degree as your safety net which you can use in any industry).

I would opt for the latter, I feel this is more recognisable and you will learn practical business knowledge from working in the industry!
You can then go onto a management course once you have more industry knowledge! ....

And congrats! You have made a great move! I did the same 9 years ago, couldn't be happier xx

Hi :)

Do you own a salon now and if so how many? My goal is to build a portfolio.

Many thanks,
Rhea

Woop woop! Bold move. Good for you. Good luck! x

Latest posts

Back