Starting from beginning. After years.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kasik

Reaction score
I am scared. Just a little, so I hope it just gives me a kick. But sometimes I start to think, that I am going to fail.

Not because I am bad nailtech. I have started in 1999, I was really successfull, I had great salon in center of Warsaw, lots of regulars. It was only nail place, but in 2 years it developed from one nailtech (me) to me and 3 employees. We were working from 8 till 22, 6 days a week, booked 6 weeks in advance. I loved this job, I loved my clients.

What happend?
My husband happend. Three kids happend. And most important - moving 1200 kilomteres happend.

At first I was still managing my salon, driving once a month there, working for a week. Pregnant, with baby and pregnant, with two babys and pregnant. Then I said stop. I could not live like that any longer. I decided to shut down the place, some of stuff I have sold, some I have brought with me.

Meantime I was doing nails for friends here, and now when kids are a little older, I have set up a small studio in my house and I start to advertise soon.

Problem is, german market is so different, german mentality as well. I am afraid I can have problem with catching up with clients (my german is rather funny and very simple). I do not see german women taking care for their nails as polish women. Not very many wears enhancements, not very many makes pedicures.
Maybe I am too nervous, maybe I want it to go smoothly too much? I have salon packed up with good stuff - brisa gels, entity l+p, cnd spas, soho spa. My hands still remeber how to work. What possibly can go wrong? I am not in a hurry, I do not pay rent, I do not have to make money soon. Maybe I am just too old to start form the begginig ;).

Was anybody in my shoes? Can you hug me and say everything is going to be ok?

kasia

It's so hard to go back to something, especially when you were so successful at it.

Try not to stress too much, you'll be great... think positive and you have a great place to come and vent if you need, but take things slow and don't be too hard on yourself!!

Everything's going to be fine :hug:

I forgot to mention... a LOT has happened since you were working, so I'd get up to speed a do a few courses and this will help build your confidence too

Last edited:
Itis always scarey to start again I think, but it is like riding a bike .. really ... you don't forget your skills.

What is harder and the bigger challenge is, that German mentality you speak of. I deal with allot of German ladies here and they are tough clients. They want their nails to last 6 weeks between rebalances and they don't seem to care that they are half way down their nails when they return to you or seem to accept that it is more work for you to keep thier nails healthy and therefore should cost more. I see it all the time here in Spain and even my German nail technician friends find their German clients very uncompromising to deal with.

The one thing that brings these ladies to 'heel' is to charge more for every week that they go over the prescribed time limit for infills/rebalances. More time ='s more money and eventualy they have to learn to accept it.

Mmm i agree with Geeg , you need to start as you mean to go on and if they leave their nails too long charge them more.

geeg thank you for your observations, I will keep it in mind while constructing price list
I still have flawless pink, I am going to use your receipe for french :)

An*Gel you hit the point - my problem is that I was successful. I think I need to keep myself calm when bussiness does not grow as quickly as in past. On one side - I do not mind, I cannot work full time, my kids are still small, eldest is 4, so it is only kind of training for me, with market, with language, refreshing skills. On second - I can feel underrated when the telephone does not ring all the time ;).
I have closed my salon almost 2 years ago, I was working a little all the time and kept updated, but I think I am going to look around for trainig course anway. I would love to go to UK, as my english is better than my German, and have great sentiment to UK ;).

Can you advice me some good direction? I work with Brisa gels, Entity acrylics.

And thanks for hearing out :)

everything will be ok!
stop worrying as that will only make it worse!
you can do anything you put your mind to!
huge hugs

Life makes us rich in many ways... what you have lost in trade you have gained in a rewarding family life. Trade will pick up and as your children grow you will have the best of both.Chin up :)
Also you say you are in Germany and your English is good , your not near any English army bases are you as the wives and girlfriends of the squaddies would be a really good market for you !!!

Oh, I live near Wiesbaden - huuge army base, and with kids we go play on an american playground :) but it is still 30km from my home - I would have to offer mobile service. But I keep taht in mind :). Thanks.
Now, I have agreed with my husband, that I take a week off and fly to UK, vacation from kids and everyday life (I had three kids in 2,5 year and I feel really tired) and occassion to learn something. I just need to look around :).

Latest posts

Back