Starting on own!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldgaltherapist

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I apologise profusely if I repeat anything. But I think my head is going to explode!

I have made the decision to go self employed. I have 6 years experience which started off slowly but have gained masses working in Center Parcs, inflight beauty therapist and for a skin clinic. I don't doubt my knowledge or my skills (except bikini wax!). I must add I am no spring chicken either!

I have made myself a treatment room upstairs where I have done treatments for friends and family, its lovely, all natural colours, candles etc and quiet. My confusion is can I do it all? Mobile, home based and rent a room once a week? My main worry is working from home - do I need to get permission from authorities? I would love to know what other geeks have done with regards to this.

Once again sorry if repeating - I have searched through and I wonder if i have read so many areas I have too much information!

Thank you
OGT x

PS I am so happy to have found this site to find out brilliant ideas and advice from some real pros!

Last edited:
hi, i remember when i first started out, i was goin to turn a room into a salon for myself, but after looking into things i discovered i would have to take a covnant out of the deeds (i think either that or the house insurance, but sure it was deeds) and there was something about the amount of people calling at the house as to regards of parking.....have forgotten alot coz it was 6 years ok. theres something about the way u advertise on ur house aswell, think ur only allowed a small plaque discretely placed, with all this i realised it wasnt worth the hassle for me....have u contacted ur local authority and see what they say. i had to get registered with mine to be selfemployed hth!

Thank you Blutopaz! Ooh looks scary. Have now contacted council and have to give them the ins and outs of a knats bottom with information on a letter so have now emailed. Will have to check mortgage and insurance (although therapist one I have found does cover me having a home salon?)

If anyone else can help do keep them coming!

OGT xx

Hi, I am in council accomadation so its slightly different but I cannot believe the difference in councils, I called y council about working from home, and al they said was ..is there parking ..yes theres car park that goes with the flats..ok then no problem ...and that was that...yet others have had to get planning permission, pay so much money out and everything. It depends who and where you live I think hun.
Best of luck with your buisiness. I am sure you will cope with it all and do a grand job ...xxx

Latest posts

Back