Starting out as a nail technician

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mashavings

Reaction score
Does it get easier?!!!

I've just started out as a mobile therapist after completing a nail enhancement course.

I'm really struggling with my confidence and whether I should have maybe done a year or twos work experience in a salon first.

I've done a few sets of extensions gel and acrylic that have come off within a few days. I'm going to do the sweet squared conversion courses which I'm sure will help.

What were other people's experiences in the early days? Does everyone want to quit and hide or is it just me???

You haven't given yourself a chance. The early days are always nerve wracking. Trust in your own abilities :) Why not advertise for models to practice your nails on? Make the price abit cheaper - that way it's less pressure but you can still practice.

I've just qualified in all aspects of nails and hair extensions ( qualified hairdresser for 10 yrs ago ) obviously hairdressing is fine but I'm going to advertise for models on both extensions and nails and as the above post said charge a little cheaper x

Does it get easier?!!!

I've just started out as a mobile therapist after completing a nail enhancement course.

I'm really struggling with my confidence and whether I should have maybe done a year or twos work experience in a salon first.

I've done a few sets of extensions gel and acrylic that have come off within a few days. I'm going to do the sweet squared conversion courses which I'm sure will help.

What were other people's experiences in the early days? Does everyone want to quit and hide or is it just me???
Yes it does get better!

Are you charging full price or do your clients know you are newly qualified and charging accordingly? What products are you using now?

I think if you aren't able to get your enhancements to last even a week it might be better to perhaps take a little step back and concentrate on getting the nails to last. Advertise asking for models. Then once you've sorted this issue your confidence will naturally increase.

I think doing a conversion course and using top notch products is a brilliant move and will again help your confidence.

It is tough at first, but just stick with it, im sure you will be great ;)

As others have said, maybe if you do a few more courses to help build your confidence and you will be fine.

Even practice on your friends and family (of course try to charge them if you can, wink wink) to help get you a bit more experience.

Take care good luck ;)

Thanks so much for the replies :)

I think the models idea is a fab one and I'm definitely going to do that. I'm also going to stop advertising that I do extensions until I can get them to stay on at least two weeks!! ;) and then maybe do them at a reduced rate and explain my newbie-ness.

I made a point of telling all my new clients this week that I've just started up and they were all completely fine with it which has made it so much less stressful. I think to begin with I was trying to hide it as I thought I wouldn't get any bookings if they thought I little experience.

I've read loads of different threads and tutorials on here about extensions and think I've been completely 'had' by the college that taught me to do extensions. Just goes to show that it pays to do your research before forking out on expensive courses. You live and learn!!

Thank you all again x

Latest posts

Back