Starting out - Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shannonnixon

Reaction score
I have a manicure qualifications and also a gel certificate. I haven't done any clients etc but I'm going to start doing family and friends. I think I've decided to go with shellac. I've bought a 36W UV lamp off ebay and I'm waiting for that to arrive. I'm going to buy 5 shellac colours but I also need to know what else I need. I've viewed this so I think I have a rough idea. https://www.cnd.com/pdf/Step by Steps (including Shellac)/ShellacSBSUpdate_REV.pdf
If I am correct I need -
Kanga file
Cuticle away
Cuticle pusher
Scrub fresh
Lint free pads
Shellac base coat
Shellac colours of my choice
Shellac top coat
Alcohol to remove the top film
And solar oil
Is this correct?

You also need the CND lamp :) x

Yes you need all those things but you also should have a CND UV lamp and not a generic 36w UV lamp. CND stipulate that only there lamp is guaranteed to fully cure their product. If you are going to be doing clients in the future I think its more professional to use the full system. Also doing the 'Shellac brings'em back' training its well worth it. You get a certificate which is great for your business too. You will also need Nourishing Remover :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Shellac is a good decision and has served me well. However, I'm afraid you should invest in the CND UV lamp as a generic lamp from ebay will not cut the mustard so to speak. CND Shellac is only proven to cure properly in the CND UV lamp so you risk under-curing and all the associated problems that occur with that. If you have a manicure certificate, this will enable you to do the proper Shellac training which is highly recommended. So if you really are serious about offering the proper Shellac service, give Sweet Squared a call on 0845 2106060 and they will be able to tell you of any CND Education Ambassadors near you. It isn't expensive and only 3 hours. You will need to ring them anyway to open an account to buy your colours as they are the only authorised stockist (along with Ellisons who get theirs from S2). Good luck xx

Absolute Beauty and Helen beat me to it in the time it took to type my post!!

A proper CND Lamp makes the world of a difference and this has been mentioned in many posts.

This lamp is the absolute worst! PRO 36W EU 220V Nail ART UV Lamp Light Dryer 4 X 9W Salon GEL Curing Tube | eBay

Don't buy this one either... Salon Edge GEL Curing Nail Polish UV Lamp 36W Acrylic Timer Light Manicure Dryer | eBay

A colleague thought she would buy a cheapie and for some reason her clients' Shellac Manicure *looked* like it was cured but did not last a week before chipping and peeling off. She just could not figure out why. The first lamp, would not completely cure with the 2 minute timer and when she wiped off the tacky layer it spread the product over the fingertips... I watched her. Then she proceeded to apply another top coat and cure that for twice as long. At this point, it did in fact look like it cured but I'm sure this customer would not be happy with her mani in a few days. She now has a CND lamp and has no complaints from customers. She was new and trying to save money on startup.
I actually have the second lamp pictured. I only used it on myself as I am mobile and keep one in the house for my own mani's so that I'm not lugging everything in when it's my turn. My clients' always get the best.
It was okay. No sensitively, serious lifting and my mani would last the two weeks but I am very easy on my hands and protect with gloves and finger cots. The big difference was when I went back to my CND lamp on myself. I can go three weeks without any lifting! My shellac stays put, no lifting whatsoever and stays on until I take it off NO MATTER WHAT. The cheap lamps are in the closet and will stay there! I got a deal for 2 of these because I thought I might want to put one on each side of my desk and I'm glad I tried it on myself for a while first.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE buy a CND Lamp. You will think the Shellac is cured but really it is not. Search the threads and don't just take my word for it.
Oh, and the Nourishing Remover... BIG difference.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! How much is the lamp? I've just bought a cheap one off ebay 😞 xxxxx

Thanks everyone! How much is the lamp? I've just bought a cheap one off ebay 😞 xxxxx

Check with your local salon supply... best not to disclose pricing here. They can be pricey but in the long run, you will have less re-do's and more repeat customers. Right now, it's your biggest and most important investment. The best feature is that you can see how many hours are left by the countdown and it has a removable hand plate so you can fit a foot.
Best of luck to you... get the best start!

It would probably be more cost effective for you to look at the shellac packages S2 offer x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back