Starting to give up with Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caversham

Reaction score
I have sat and read through the threads on here regarding Shellac and the problems people are having with it peeling and chipping and I have have through the answers that people have suggested. I just can not seem to get it to last at all on anyone or my self. I know that it is such a great product but I seem to be failing and really knocking my confidence at the same time.

I have had a look into the courses for Shellac and just wondered what the best one would be for me? I really want to succeed with this product and not give up but after the Monday morning I have had I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

Sorry to rant geeks I know you've heard it all before, just some advice on which course and the benefits would be great :)

Xx

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. If you are having many problems, it may be worth doing one of hte structured courses. If you just want to troubleshoot certain problems, then a 1-2-1 session may be better. Why don't you give your local CND Educator a call and have a chat with them? They would probably be able to guide you on the best training for your situation.

I did some 1-2-1 training with my local CND Educator. It really helped me to troubleshoot some of the problems I was having.

Hi hun, take us through your application process and products, we might be able to spot something that's not right. Are you using the correct lamp?

The best training would be through Sweet Squared which is the official CND distributor for the UK. It's very reasonably priced, and the training is fantastic.
Rhiannon x

You poor thing, I'm not a nail geek, I do mainly hair but I'm totally in love with Shellac, it's not always been perfect but it's getting better. The girl who does mine always has a little issue with the shellac when doing mine but today there was not one! A first lol.

Hopefully a superstar shellac expert will be along soon to help with suggestions, as we both know they're in abundance on SG :D

Keep you chin up chick and I wish you the best of luck x

That's for the replies, I think I will definitely look into a course or one to one. Will sweet squared be able to tell me my local educator?

My prep is
Remove cuticle from the nail, not using any creams just the metal hoof
Then scrub fresh the nail, usually twice just to make sure I have covered the whole nail

Then a thin layer of base coat making sure to swipe the free edge then cured for 10 sec (with the base coat I have really tired to keep them thin as possibly)

Then two coats of colour each with swiping the free edge curing for two mins each and trying to keep them nice and then.

Then the top coat same again swiping the free edge and keeping it thin.

I have had problems with the free edge always coming away and chipping. No one seems to have had problems with the cuticle area or the whole nail just the edges and lifting up.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And I will be giving Sweet Squared a call they are always helpful :)

Xx

Hi. I was told to do a scrubfresh sandwich as prep by sweetsquared. I scrub with scrubfresh then I dehydrate with nail fresh, then i scrubfresh again. Make sure you cover the tip of the free edge too. I never ever have any peeling or chipping issues.

Perhaps if you used a curette over the whole nail plate too this may help. Pay particular attention to the side walls if you are having lifting around this area.You will be surprised at how far the cuticle grows down the nail plate and a hoof stick will not remove all the cuticle IMO.

Hope it works out for you as its a first class product xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

I have just booked onto a course with Sweet Squared I am not about to give up with Shellac yet :) thanks for all the help Geeks. Its such a good product, hopefully after the course next week I will be one here saying how well they are lasting :) finger crossed :)

Xx

As a little afterthought too, make sure you remind clients that Shellac is only a power polish. Not indestructible. Perhaps people havent been as careful as they could be with it. Good luck on your course x

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

Caversham I am the same at the minute! Its knocking my confidence even though I have done the first course.

I havent heard of the scrub fresh sandwhich though?? Is this actually recommended as they never mentioned it on my training. Could you guys tell me the difference between scrub fresh and nail fresh, sorry for my ignorance only Ive never worked with the latter product.

Thankyou

Caversham I am the same at the minute! Its knocking my confidence even though I have done the first course.

I havent heard of the scrub fresh sandwhich though?? Is this actually recommended as they never mentioned it on my training. Could you guys tell me the difference between scrub fresh and nail fresh, sorry for my ignorance only Ive never worked with the latter product.

Thankyou

Hey Zoerose84

Which course did you do with Shellac? I am hoping it will help with what i am doing wrong. I am also going to see if they say anything about the scrub fresh sandwich as i had never heard of it either.

Let me know how you get on with it if you try it :D

xx

You don't have to keep your top coat as thin. Use a little more an float it over the colour polish.

Do your clients have naturally good, healthy nails? If not, this could be a problem.

Do they use solar oil?

xx

It's not part of the official Shellac service...although some do use it for problem clients..

As someone has suggested - use the Curette - you will be amazed what comes off! Ensure scrubfresh covers the free edge and pull back the lateral folds slightly at the same time. Ensure your coats are thin - remember thin to win! :wink2:

I describe Shellac itself like a sandwich...the base coat goes fairly close to the edges, the colour coat goes ever so slightly inside that and the top coat goes where the base coat went.:D

Use fingernail fixers videos - she is brilliant :Love:

Thanks MrsP

I am hoping the course will help on Monday.

I always suggest Solar Oil to my clients but they never buy it I have said to them they will see the difference when using it. Any tips how I can convince them ?

I always give them a mini solar oil with their first treatment then they usually are hooked to buy afterwards!!

I'm a firm believer in Solar Oil and usually sell one to every Shellac client, but I know some of them don't use it.

Your clients not using Solar Oil wouldn't be the reason they are experiencing chipping though.

Are you using the CND lamp? (I'm almost afraid to ask that question these days :wink2:)

You need to explain that using the solar oil is essential NOT OPTIONAL and that the shellac has little tunnels in it which allow the oil to penetrate. I would start them off with a pinkie size free along with an aftercare leaflet. HTH xxxx

Yes using the lamp and the whole kit, I think it is just my application process.
Fingers crossed the course on Monday will help.

A few people I have applied the shelled on seem to have it on for an occasion so say no to the solar oil then I'm guessing pick it off as they do not come back.
Even though I say to them that it must be taken off correctly.

Xx

You need to explain that using the solar oil is essential NOT OPTIONAL and that the shellac has little tunnels in it which allow the oil to penetrate. I would start them off with a pinkie size free along with an aftercare leaflet. HTH xxxx

I like that it's essential not optional, think I may have to write a cue card to say how important it is.

Once you explain the science part to clients, they seem to "get it".

As waffle4 has said, tiny tunnel appear in Shellac when it is cured, so when you apply the Solar Oil, it penetrates into the tunnels and hits the natural nail and re hydrates it, so if your clients are serious about having beautiful nails, then this product is a must.

You will feel a lot better when you have your class next week... best of luck :hug:

Once you explain the science part to clients, they seem to "get it".

As waffle4 has said, tiny tunnel appear in Shellac when it is cured, so when you apply the Solar Oil, it penetrates into the tunnels and hits the natural nail and re hydrates it, so if your clients are serious about having beautiful nails, then this product is a must.

You will feel a lot better when you have your class next week... best of luck :hug:

Thanks Angel :)
I will persist with telling clients how important the solar oil is!

Xx

Latest posts

Back