Starting up after qualifying a long time ago

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quiet Therapist

Reaction score
Hi I wondered if I could have some advice for you all!

I qualified as a Holistic Therapist about 14 years ago, initially as I was personally really interested in their benefits for myself. I have practiced on and off on family and friends over the years and never charged (I guess in my mind I always saw it as a hobby and never felt good enough to charge). I have always worked in another sector in a senior HR job. I have qualified in beauty treatments (waxing, facials, mani and pedi) recently too.

sorry for the long ramble! I want to practice as I love doing treatments and I love the benefits people gain. I just dont know what to do! I am not relying on it for income as I have another job for that. But I dont know whether to go mobile (im scared though of the security aspect as well as lugging stuff around) or work in a salon (tbh I feel a little old for this as I am approaching 40) I have slso searched for a room to rent but prob need a client base for that first.

What advice would you give me?

Thanks for reading my looooooooong ramble!!!!

Have you considered working from home? Is this instead of your hr job or as well as? Often people want treatments in evenings anyway so it's all feasible. We rent rooms out on a daily basis, so something like that may be feasible.

Are you confident in your treatments or do you feel you need some refresher training?

Vic x

Thank you Vic for taking the time to reply!

Good point about the confidence issue. I wouldn't be offering everything I have qualified in as I accept that I am rusty on a few things and would need to build up my experiences first, so would only offer a few treatments to begin with.

I have found a place that rent rooms on a daily basis though isn't in my area, but I think this is a good idea that I may keep my eyes open for in the future. Home could be an option, as we have a spare room, just to need to convince OH (though I have been thinking this is a likely option for me)

It would be alongside my other job, which is fairly flexible.

Thanks for your time x I think I just need a push to do it.....just lacking in confidence to do it though!

I'm 44 in a couple of weeks. I gained my qualifications at 19, worked for 7 years, had three children and remained a stay at home Mum for 15 years. I recently took temp work in the Spa industry and loved it so now I'm starting up a mobile business whilst training in holistic therapies and advanced massage. You're never too old to start again. :cool:

I qualified as a beautician 10 years ago. I worked for a few years in the industry then did my OE and had my son. I have just now gotten back into my beauty & makeup again. I work from a home salon. It's handy to do from home as it's more flexible. Good luck on your venture.

We actually offer refresher days for therapists who have been out of the loop for a while. It's a fun informal day, covering whatever you feel rusty on. Give me a pm if you would like more info.

Vic x

Thank you so much everyone for your replies, really good to hear...and thank you for taking the time to reply. Thanks Olive and Beauty chair!

Will Pm you squidgernetball!

I qualified as a Beauty Therapist in 1984 & worked in beauty on & off over the years. I was out of the industry for nearly 15 years & was made redundant a couple of years ago & set up from home & at the grand old age of 46 did a few refresher courses. I work from home & because of that don't like to advertise, so it's all been word of mouth. It was a slow start but now I'm really busy & I love it.

Latest posts

Back