Starting up from home!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeZe

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Has anyone started up from home straight from training or worked in a salon first?

Don't know what's best?! I want to work for myself but would like the experience of a salon - the wages are just so low though:rolleyes:

If you take into account your start up and marketing costs you will earn less working for yourself for at least a year in my opinion. Can take a couple of years to make a profit.

Guess it depends on how confident you are, how much money you need to make etc etc etc! I'm starting up from direct from training with zero salon experience but am older, am financially ok (as I dont expect to earn a salary for the best part of a year)!!! I consider myself to have life and business experience & know how I'd like things done.

There are so many variables to take into account but at least going alone you do it exactly as you want! If you're younger though I'd say get some work experience in a salon, see what you like & don't like, pick up some tips & then go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide x

I started my own business from home straight from training in January and have already paid off over 50% of my start up costs. I expect to pay off the rest in two months and then I'm into profit. I do have previous business experience and am also a mature therapist.

Good luck

Wow waxandpolish well done!! How on earth have you done that? I started in December and I worked out the other day I've made £300 since then 😭 so crap!! I got told the other day there's no point in doing beauty but I really enjoy when I do have a customer and just feeling so low at the moment. Any tips as you're doing so well??thanks x

I started my own business from home straight from training in January and have already paid off over 50% of my start up costs. I expect to pay off the rest in two months and then I'm into profit. I do have previous business experience and am also a mature therapist.

Good luck

Liking the term 'mature therapist'! Wish I'd have said that for myself instead of older! Lol:irked: x

I have never worked in a salon, I started working from home straight from training.

At times it was pretty hard going with nobody to chew things over with and from that point of view it would have been lovely to have had colleagues. At the time, I didnt even have the internet so hadn't discovered salon geek : (

But looking on the bright side, I broke even in 5 months so I was really pleased with that. And of course you can earn far more on your own than if you work for someone else. x

I'm starting from home straight from training. I trained with Harmony and am just doing the finishing touches to my home salon now. I too am financially settled now and don't have to rely on the money as income but I would love to eventually give up my part time job and do nails instead. Good luck xx

I started from home straight from training 2 years ago, but I also work full time! I'm almost in profit, could have been a year ago but I just keep investing in new course and products :) so I've never touched a penny of that money from I started apart from to invest back into my business, then one day I'll have enough money there to hopefully open my own salon or just continue working from home but full time :) x x

Wow waxandpolish well done!! How on earth have you done that? I started in December and I worked out the other day I've made £300 since then 😭 so crap!! I got told the other day there's no point in doing beauty but I really enjoy when I do have a customer and just feeling so low at the moment. Any tips as you're doing so well??thanks x

I only work about three days a week at the moment which suits me fine. I didn't go mad spending money on new equipment, I used gumtree and eBay for things like my desk, couch, chairs etc my biggest costs were my training and shellac. I set my prices early based on what I want to earn per hour (£15 - £25 for me plus cost of products). I don't want or need to work for less.

I've sold several courses of treatments ie wraps, healthy nails etc which boosts takings a lot and I retail vinylux and solar oil. All of my work has come through friends recommending. I do a referral scheme offering discounts to new customer and existing one. (£5 off one treatment). I've also done well from gift vouchers.

I do advertise in my locals magazine but haven't found it worthwhile yet.

I always rebook my clients before they leave!

Good luck
Xx

I also started from home straight after training. Am 3 and a half months in and absolutely loving it. Still quite a way off making a profit but never expected to at this point. Hoping to break even at the 12 month mark. It's been slow but no slower than what I predicted and am getting around 2 new clients in a week and most rebook so are becoming repeat business which is great and definitely boosts confidence.

Iv done it straight from training. Still finishing level 3 hair. Iv Been open since feb and iv made back an 8th of my start up costs so far. But I am financially stable without the money from my business. I wouldn't be able to live on this alone for quite a while

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

Latest posts

Back