Starting up mobile/from home business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsnails

Reaction score
Hiya,
Hoping some of you will be able to help me or atleast point me in the right direction of where to look !
I am training in nails, currently manicure/pedicure & gel.
I want to start up mobile/from home business firstly offering manicures/pedicures until I have the confidence with my extension application.
How do I start up? I mean in relation to tax, costs, insurance etc.
I am complete novice with all things money/business related!
How much do you have to earn before you start paying tax? as I will only be part time to start with.
Who do I have to tell or inform?
I really know absolutly nothing:o
If there is anyone who is willing to help me figure all this out, or has had to do this for themselves, Id love to hear from you !
Dont wanna get it all wrong and then have the tax man after me!

Thank you so much for reading !

Niks

business link and natwest have been brill with me. give them a ring x

Thanks for your reply.

How is the best way of talking to them, do I just tell them what I want to do?

Im excited about it all but really dont wanna get anything wrong !:green:

im the same, newly qualified and wanting to work around my job, i dont want to get in trouble for not paying correct tax but all of this makes no sense to me whatsoever, im not that bright!!!!
i need help big time!!!:o

Speak to the Revenue direct, HM Revenue & Customs: Home Page and they will tell you all you need to know. In my area they do free workshops about becoming self employed and I found it really helpful when I went on one.

Hth's

Hi Im new here

i am also wanting to start up as mobile nail tech and want to do it right, however small client base so hardley any money and i also have another pt job as im a mum. what should i do. its confusing as im working pt on another job.

can't help much with the nail side of things but if you're not earning enough to use up your personal allowance at your other part time job you can transfer some of it to use in your nail business
eg the personal allowance is 6475
so if you earn £4000 at your first part time job that would give you £2475 to use in your nail business - meaning you could earn that before you start paying tax
if you earn £6475 or more in your first part time job then you will get taxed on everything you earn with your nail business
the tax allowance is going up in April next year I think to £7500
you do have to contact the tax office and ask them to split your tax code and also make sure you register as self employed as well, I think once you start doing private work you have three months to register as self employed ( but again check all this out ) if you don't register you face paying a fine
hope that all make sense

Latest posts

Back