Steam sterilisers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nails.donna

Reaction score
Might be a silly question but would a babies electric steam steriliser work the same as some of the bigger salon ones? I mean they are safe for babies to drink their milk out of once bottles have been sterilised, so would metal equipment be ok in one? Just been looking at some online and they are so expensive compared to a babies bottle one!

I do not 'think' it's the same level of sterilization at all.

Otherwise, hospitals would do the same and we wouldn't be hearing so much about autoclaves.

I'll be sure to ask Doug and Dr. Robert Spalding their thoughts. I'm curious what the difference is.
I know I read on it one time, but can't recall the specifics.

PS: have posted on my FB, addressing the question to Doug Schoon, Jim McConnel and Dr. Spalding. Will keep you posted on their reply.

Last edited:
Ok, here are some answers from the horses's mouths:

Doug Schoon says:
"Of course the answer is no, unless all those hospitals are just being silly to spend thousands on an autoclave when all they had to do was use baby sterilizers. They don’t use baby sterilizers because they are nothing like autoclaves and do not perform to the same standards. Many so called baby sterilizers don’t sterilize at all, they just pretend to by suggesting it.
You don't sterilize or disinfect your dishes, not even a dishwasher does that. I don't haven't looked at your baby sterilizer, but sterilization requires exposure to pressurized steam. That's why autoclaves cost so much. I wouldn't put much faith in a baby bottle sterilizer, but why would you want sterilize baby bottles? What’s the big risk with used properly clean bottles? That should be enough. but I'm not a baby bottle expert."

And from Dr. Robert Spalding:
"Doug is correct...there has to be significant pressure for the steam to penetrate the bacterial wall and spore coats to be effective for a certain time. Steam baby bottle disinfectors are not sterilizers in the sense of the word ' sterilize" but only offer a mild "disinfectant" capacity an reduce reduce bacterial counts ..not sterilize"

Thanks for this Vhunter

no problemo ;-)

to the OP what are you wanting to STERILISE? In the nail industry unless you have come into contact with blood (and one should not be making one's clients bleed) it is only necessary to sanitise, give your tools a good wash in soapy water, making sure to poke out any dead skin from the holes af a curette with an orange stick and brush them (I use an old tooth brush to brush into the fiddly bits) then use a sanitiser according to the instructions, the 2 most popular are mundo and barbicide hth x

It's my metal tools I do scrub them and pop them in barbarcide have done this for a good few years, was just wondering if steam fertilisers would work

autoclaves reach either 126 or 134 degrees c and stay there for the appropriate time to ensure sterilisation

Latest posts

Back