Stencils or Masks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammie

Reaction score
I've just been on a fab airbrushing course and i also have a airbrush and compressor on its way. Can't wait....

Well my question is: What do you prefer using stencils or masks?

I have only used masks on the training day so wondered what was everyones thoughts on using stencils????

Sammie

Hi Sammie

I love airbrushinghad a great techer...:wink2: (chocolate) i started off using stencils but found that i couldnt always get a crisp line or the colour would flood or spot under the stencil....Then Rachel showed me how to use Mask and iv never looked back...:)

Vicky xx
Sammie said:
I've just been on a fab airbrushing course and i also have a airbrush and compressor on its way. Can't wait....

Well my question is: What do you prefer using stencils or masks?

I have only used masks on the training day so wondered what was everyones thoughts on using stencils????

Sammie

Masks all the way, in fact im just sorting through my stencils (most unused !) as i am going to sell them all (anyone interested by the way pm me !!)

kx

I did chocolates course too, it was great! I did buy a couple of stencils and a pack of masks and i do find it easier to use the masks, cant seem to hold the stencil properly! also its near on impossible to stencil your other hand i find!

If anyone is interested my hubby is shortly going to be manufacturing masks (hope im not breaking any rules saying this?) as he is in the sign trade and has the cutter etc.
If you are interested PM me

Out of interest, can masks work if you're wanting to put a darker detail on a light background, for example, a french or just pale colour with say, I dunno, hearts around the smile line?
Obviously with a stencil the hearts would go on last, but as a mask works in negative, as it were, surely you would have to put on the colour for the hearts first, then mask them and go on to do the paler colour over the top before removing the mask to reveal the hearts again.
Can this actually work, or would this be an instance where you would have to use a stencil? Or is there sold a range of airbrush paints where light colour easily cover dark?
I'm intruiged because I'm looking at shelling out for airbrush stuff, and half the designs I'm thinking of in my head I can't image being able to do with masks.

Likewise I've seen designs done with masks with multiple layers of colour, for example flowers with detailed petals, centre area etc (go to creativenailplace.com, look at their masks and you'll see what I mean)... does this mean using a whole set of masks that have to be layered on top of each other, or at least onto the same spot on the nail?

Confused.....

Lol x

Erm...... you can do the hearts last, look at the christmas airbrush thread in tutorials and you will see that holly has been put on over red and gold background, she sprayed white first then the holly colour over the top...HTH

mmm never covered masks at college only scencils... Can i be dumb and ask wot they are??

They are self adhesive stickers with really low tack glue that dont pull off the paint, so you can stick them to your designs and you dont need to hold the stencil, great for doing your own nails! one sticker does up to 10 sprays. they come in all sorts of shapes including french, abstract etc and you get a really crisp design as the paint doesnt tend to go underneath them like it can on stencils.

Hiya,
I also did chocolate's airbrush course it was great fun. I think i done it the same time as aspirations. I love the masks there just so easy to use. Although designs are limited, so aspirations i would be interested in some of your designs.

x galaxy x

Ive had loads of PMs about this so they are obviously popular!! I have only used my sample pack of masks which includes french and abstract (zig zags etc) what is everyone else finding popular to use? someone suggested xmas theme would also be good? hes designing them at the moment but let us know what you like to use shape wise and we'll take that into account too... thanks for the interest xx

Hi Sammie
I've got a few stencils coming today I hope, so will let you know how I get on when they arrive. I do plan to get some masks though as soon as Jackie sends her list.

Deb379

LOL.... working on it Debs I promise! :wink2:

Sammie, you know me, I'm a 'mask' girl, but I do have some stencils that occasionally get used.

Too Much fun masks can be bought from

www.creativenailplace.com

and Medea from

www.netnails.net

I'm curious and very keen to get my hands on the Aspirations ones - are they for sale yet?

Lol (Bimbogeri) - the mask can be either negative or positive so yes, it is possible to lay one colour over another. If you are laying a colour over a pale base then 'white out' first. If you have different colours under your positive mask it's sometimes easier to 'black out', then 'white out' before adding your colour - but keep those layers of paint dry and thin.

PM me if you want me to explain in more detail.

HI,

I have just had a look at creativenailplace.com and the masks are £11.70 it seems alot of money to me when yoou can only use it about 10 times.
Am i being tight? what do you guys think?
Aspirations said:
They are self adhesive stickers with really low tack glue that dont pull off the paint, so you can stick them to your designs and you dont need to hold the stencil, great for doing your own nails! one sticker does up to 10 sprays. they come in all sorts of shapes including french, abstract etc and you get a really crisp design as the paint doesnt tend to go underneath them like it can on stencils.

glittergirl said:
HI,

I have just had a look at creativenailplace.com and the masks are £11.70 it seems alot of money to me when yoou can only use it about 10 times.
Am i being tight? what do you guys think?
Okay so i have just actually read the paragraph next to the the price and you get 100 masks so not that expensive after all!!!!!!

I looked at the price and thought:eek: now i'm like:o

I might buy some and give it a go

glittergirl said:
Okay so i have just actually read the paragraph next to the the price and you get 100 masks so not that expensive after all!!!!!!

I looked at the price and thought:eek: now i'm like:o

I might buy some and give it a go

Jodie, make sure you charge your client if you need to use a mask. I charge 1 euro per mask used and you can usually get away with using one mask per set of nails. By the time you've used one sheet (there's 5 sheets in a pack and on average 20 masks per sheet, although on some sheets there are as many as 40!) you've near enough paid for the pack and the rest is profit! :biggrin:

Masks probably wont be available for a couple of weeks yet...waiting for the material and then got to get them made. I would think they will be about half that price including the postage! and theres no VAT either! will be about 10 sheets per pack, 10/20 masks per sheet depending on design HTH x

cant wait to see them sherrie !

kx
Aspirations said:
Masks probably wont be available for a couple of weeks yet...waiting for the material and then got to get them made. I would think they will be about half that price including the postage! and theres no VAT either! will be about 10 sheets per pack, 10/20 masks per sheet depending on design HTH x

Check this site out for medea paints,stencils, etc 20% off at mo, www.airbrushes.com
Beat you to it Jackie! lol

Deb379

JackieMc said:
Jodie, make sure you charge your client if you need to use a mask. I charge 1 euro per mask used and you can usually get away with using one mask per set of nails. By the time you've used one sheet (there's 5 sheets in a pack and on average 20 masks per sheet, although on some sheets there are as many as 40!) you've near enough paid for the pack and the rest is profit! :biggrin:
Thanks i wouldn't of thought to charge extra for using masks.
Thanks for the advice and your right they soon pay for themselves.

:biggrin: Newbie on the block! Have just discovered this site and have had oodles of questions answered in just one day. Have just ordered some masks to try out, having only used stencils before. How difficult are they compared to stencils?

tj

Latest posts

Back