Still very nervous

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
Hi geeks, its been nearly two years since I got back to hairdressing after a long break of 17 years.
I was working in a salon on Saturdays for about a year but found the atmosphere very tense and although it did me the world of good in some ways, it had a negative effect in others.
I have a good mobile clientele now built up but find myself getting increasingly worried about every head I do. Its irrational I know as people seem to like me and keep calling me back.
However <I now do not answer my phone unless I know who it is.
I take on very very few new clients as I worry about them for days beforehand and lose sleep:( which is ridiculous:irked:
I have done a few coursres in both colour and cutting but its almost like its a train of negative thinking that I just can't shake.
If anyone of you met me, I'm guessing you would think I'm friendly, outgoing and not a bother with me when inside I'm usually quivering:sad:
I can't talk to anyone about this as I know they won't get it but to be honest, its eating me up and I cannot enjoy my life as much as I should be because of this awful feeling.
Thanks for reading and listening if you are still reading.
xxx

Bless you :-( always have comfort in the knowledge that you are not alone in feeling this way! I too, have serious confidence issues which have now resulted in panic attacks! I have been out of the hairdressing loop too with having my children BUT you have to believe in yourself and know that if you have returning clients (which you do) that you are obviously doing great! I have lost confidence in my hairdressing and feel sometimes that I just can't get to grips with it like I used to and am always questioning myself! This site is a great help and I Alan found that watching videos on YouTube helped a lot too in giving me new ideas and even basic cuts! I also read through my college work and textbooks and it's really brought back a lot of knowledge xxxx

Alan?? Also I meant lol x

Hi geeks, its been nearly two years since I got back to hairdressing after a long break of 17 years.
I was working in a salon on Saturdays for about a year but found the atmosphere very tense and although it did me the world of good in some ways, it had a negative effect in others.
I have a good mobile clientele now built up but find myself getting increasingly worried about every head I do. Its irrational I know as people seem to like me and keep calling me back.
However <I now do not answer my phone unless I know who it is.
I take on very very few new clients as I worry about them for days beforehand and lose sleep:( which is ridiculous:irked:
I have done a few coursres in both colour and cutting but its almost like its a train of negative thinking that I just can't shake.
If anyone of you met me, I'm guessing you would think I'm friendly, outgoing and not a bother with me when inside I'm usually quivering:sad:
I can't talk to anyone about this as I know they won't get it but to be honest, its eating me up and I cannot enjoy my life as much as I should be because of this awful feeling.
Thanks for reading and listening if you are still reading.
xxx

In the last 2 years I have returned to hairdressing. I haven't worked in a salon since I trained 25 years ago. I never thought I could do it again.
Although its doubtful I would ever work in a salon permanently, I did work voluntarily in a local barbers for a year. This spurred me on to realise that hairdressing really is for me. I have got some regular clients I have attained from my usual job. I have also learn't so much from websites and practicing on head blocks.
I want more clients, but I also have that dreaded feeling inside that I might not be able to handle a certain situation. But if I'm feeling quite positive, I then feel I can handle anything that could be thrown my way. This alone tells me that its just a confidence issue.

I have set myself boundaries in that if I don't think I could handle doing a certain service, I will just be honest from the start and tell the client that I'm not quite confident in that area just yet. However, If I feel I can do the job but just lack that bit of confidence, I would tell the client how I feel and still do the job at a reduced rate. That way I would hopefully get the job done, the client is happy, and I have just learn't a new skill with the added bonus of a confidence boost. That way both the client and myself have benefited from the whole experience. If the client is not so willing to accept your abilities, I will just say I'm sorry, but I'm just being honest with you.

You may feel that this type of scenario may not work for you, but I just thought you may gain some positive reaction from my way of going about the situation.
Chin up and try your best. You will get through in the end. xx
:hug:

Latest posts

Back