Stop OAP discount or up the price?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoxxiieHair

Reaction score
Okay, so I've just recently become self employed. My old pricelist(salon pricelist) had OAP prices.
And I'm wondering would I offend my clients if I stop the OAP discount?

If not at least increase the OAP price a little

No discounts here, but I'm Nails, there's always been a thing about hairdressers discounting for OAP's. Personally I think the Grey Pound is extremely strong these days so wouldn't discount.

I suppose it depends on your clientele, if you pull in lots of clients because of it then perhaps a slight increase, if they're a rarity then phase it out.

How much of your profit are you losing? You need to decide if it's worth losing a few quid on blow dries/wash and set, or are you losing a lot more as multiple colours, funkier, more maintenance needed styles are more prevalent in older clients too now?

And I'm wondering would I offend my clients if I stop the OAP discount?

Never price your services on the basis of what you think a client can afford, otherwise, you’ll be constantly discounting your prices and apologising for trying to make a profit.

You could explain that everything has gone up in price and you need to increase your prices just to stay in the same position?

I’m in beauty and I don’t discount to OAP’s. I wouldn’t attract any additional new customers nor increase average spend or annual spend by discounting.

I’ve always assumed the OAP discount was for the benefit of those customers who didn’t wash or style their hair at home and visited every 10 days or so. I’ve always thought of it as a “frequent flier” discount.

I do offer a student discount, but it’s only available during off peak times during weekdays. Its how I manage dynamic pricing/availability. Why not compromise snd offer OAP rates on your quietest, least in demand half day?

What about some kind of loyalty card instead? Give them some money off after say 6 or 10 treatments? Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back