Striping tape

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got these but couldn't get them to stick to the gelish, any tips?

With Gelish, I would normally wipe sticky layer off to get a better surface. Alternatively, finish to topcoat, wipe sticky, and work on top of that. Then finish with another thin topcoat xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ladies for your useful comments. So if I were using gelish & wanted a white background & really crisp straight black lines would I do my white colour coats as normal, wipe sticky layer off, apply striping tape, paint over black gel, take off striping tape & cure?? xx

I reckon black would start flooding as soon as you take the tape off, also you need to put 2 layers of it. Cure both layers first, then take the tape off, then top coat. I took the tape off from underneath 2 layers of tio (don't ask me why ;) ) and it made super crisp lines. Hth :)

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used those manicure guides for a chevron today they make it so simple! Wiped the white first and then applied black over, it didn't flood once I took them off and I took them off before I cured. If you leave them on when curing it rips half the colour off in my experience x

With Gelish, I would normally wipe sticky layer off to get a better surface. Alternatively, finish to topcoat, wipe sticky, and work on top of that. Then finish with another thin topcoat xx

Thanks hun!! Going to order some of those manicure guides & have a play.
Going to get some tape too xx

Here are a few designs that if like to re-create! The zigzag one is using the zigzag scissors & scotch tape! Has anyone tried this?
View attachment 53020View attachment 53021
(Not my work!)

I have and it is so easy! Take a piece of tape, allow 2 thin coats of polish to dry on it, cut it with zig zag scissors as thin as you want the strip, stick it onto your nail with one end against the edge of your nail so you only need to trim one end, trim it and finish with top coat ( or alternatively place tape, apply polish and remove tape). I found it on YouTube. Cutepolish I think it was called. Really nice look. I also did it with frog scissors from hobby craft. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1390228358.864416.jpg ( the middle finger)

I wonder if any fellow geeks can help me. I've used striping tape on top of CND Shellac but it's lifting. (I only use CND products and the CND Lamp.) I performed PEP, used BL Base Coat (10sec cure) Smoothing Gel (2 min cure), CND Shellac Blackpool 2 coats (curing 2 mins per coat), Ice Vapor to tips (2 min cure), applied striping tape to the sticky layer, CND Shellac Top Coat (cured 2 mins) and finally as it was still rough at the edges from the tape I did a second CND Shellac Top Coat (cured 2 mins) wiped sticky later with IPA. I can feel the tape at the edges lifting and don't know how else to get it to stick, I ensured it was within the margin so when I top coated it would enclose it. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated as I love the look just not the hassle of it lifting! Can't risk doing it on clients if this happens. A few clients have messaged me asking for striping tape next time they come in so I really need to master this lol. I'll attach a picture below. Thanks xxImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391629464.027540.jpg

I wonder if any fellow geeks can help me. I've used striping tape on top of CND Shellac but it's lifting. (I only use CND products and the CND Lamp.) I performed PEP, used BL Base Coat (10sec cure) Smoothing Gel (2 min cure), CND Shellac Blackpool 2 coats (curing 2 mins per coat), Ice Vapor to tips (2 min cure), applied striping tape to the sticky layer, CND Shellac Top Coat (cured 2 mins) and finally as it was still rough at the edges from the tape I did a second CND Shellac Top Coat (cured 2 mins) wiped sticky later with IPA. I can feel the tape at the edges lifting and don't know how else to get it to stick, I ensured it was within the margin so when I top coated it would enclose it. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated as I love the look just not the hassle of it lifting! Can't risk doing it on clients if this happens. A few clients have messaged me asking for striping tape next time they come in so I really need to master this lol. I'll attach a picture below. Thanks xxView attachment 54786

To start with, those nails are GORGEOUS! I can suggest a couple things maybe to try:

Wipe sticky off your colour coat before applying striping tape so ends adhere better.

Or alternatively, complete the service to after cured top coat, remove sticky and work on top of that, then another layer of top coat.

Hope these suggestions help! xx

Thank you very much, I love your work so it means a lot for you to say that. I thought the sticky layer would help it 'stick', doh that's where I've gone wrong lol. Thank you for your help, I'll wipe the sticky layer with IPA next time. Would you use one or two top coats? Xx

Thank you very much, I love your work so it means a lot for you to say that. I thought the sticky layer would help it 'stick', doh that's where I've gone wrong lol. Thank you for your help, I'll wipe the sticky layer with IPA next time. Would you use one or two top coats? Xx

Ah thanks!

I would go with 2 thin layers, just to be sure xx

Ah thanks!

I would go with 2 thin layers, just to be sure xx

Thanks I'll try it next time and I'll let you know how it goes xx

Here are a few designs that if like to re-create! The zigzag one is using the zigzag scissors & scotch tape! Has anyone tried this?
View attachment 53020View attachment 53021
(Not my work!)

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391631919.331829.jpg
I did but I also bought different types of scissors from Hobbycraft and one of these fingers ( can't remember which one) is exactly the same process but with different scissors. I think they were called alligator scissors? Really easy 😁

Try to make sure the tape is slightly shorter than the length/width of the nail so it is fully encapsulated and as said previously wipe off sticky layer first 😄

I did these fingers crossed the striping tape stays put this time lol. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391734675.900425.jpg

I gave up on striping tape and now use Empower sliced into strips. This allows me to customize the width and it is thinner and easier to work with. http://empowernailart.com

I gave up on striping tape and now use Empower sliced into strips. This allows me to customize the width and it is thinner and easier to work with. http://empowernailart.com

I'm friends with Lucien on FB - does he ship to the UK? I started a thread a while ago on Empower nail art but didn't have much response! x

I find striping tape fiddly to use. Any tips?

Flash cure for about 10 sec then remove the tape then put back in lamp , stops flooding and easier to get off than trying after 2 min cure x

Latest posts

Back