Stripping box dye red out of client's hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantelle1991

Reaction score
Hi geeks, Im pretty sure I know what I am going to do but any advice / confirmation would be great :)

I have a client who is a base 8 - she has box dye red thats very faded and quite a bit of re growth. She would like to go 77/0 before we fit hair extensions.

Should I use a bleach bath to strip the red before applying the colour?

Any advice is much appreciated
Thank yoou :) xx

Remeber that 77/0 is onlY intended to be used to cover resistant white hair, i would do a bleach bathfirst to lift some of the red pigment butnremember ull have to add skme ass (green-normally) wen neutralising red .i would probably use colour touch to add the colour back to the hair 7/0 on rootsband 7/1 on ends ( i have previously fould that the /17 and /71 are great for controlling red wen colouring
Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Hi geeks, Im pretty sure I know what I am going to do but any advice / confirmation would be great :)

I have a client who is a base 8 - she has box dye red thats very faded and quite a bit of re growth. She would like to go 77/0 before we fit hair extensions.

Should I use a bleach bath to strip the red before applying the colour?

Any advice is much appreciated
Thank yoou :) xx

If the red is really faded out to a very very pale copper red, I would just apply your 7/0 straight over, as you need some warm pigment in the hair for your base 7/0 to grab onto. However, if you do decide to bleach bath, go easy otherwise your base 7/0 may turn khaki and will fade quite fast.
;)

With red box dye, I would try and wash it out first.
A deep cleansing shampoo with some baking soda in it will do the trick. Personally I use cleansing shampoo with a tad bit of hydrogen peroxide on, but I wouldn't recommend doing that on a client.

You will probably need a green toner as well. Red box dyes just do strange things to hair color.

With red box dye, I would try and wash it out first.
A deep cleansing shampoo with some baking soda in it will do the trick. Personally I use cleansing shampoo with a tad bit of hydrogen peroxide on, but I wouldn't recommend doing that on a client.

You will probably need a green toner as well. Red box dyes just do strange things to hair color.

Which would u say as a green toner?

Latest posts

Back