Stronger base for Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laura_100

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm trained in shellac and been doing shellac for years now. And my clients love it. However there are a few who can't get on with it. It either lifts or chips or their nails seems to weak to wear it.

Is there another base coat I can use to make the shellac stronger that anyone's uses? I do x2 base coats on some ladies which helps them get a few more days.

Or do you ladies have a different nail system you use alongside shellac for clients with weaker nails?

I would like to be able to offer clients with weaker nails something rather than them not coming to me as shellac isn't lasting.

Hope you can help! :)

have you tried or offered them brisa lite gel. I saw this on youtube on the CND site ages ago as it is stronger than shellac base but charge alittle more for this as i do.

@travey1969 just looked at this! And it looks perfect. No idea it existed! So would I use this instead of my normal shellac base coat? Or as well as?

use this instead of the shellac base also i have been reading reviews on Gel 11 skyscraper gel which seems to have good reviews and its also a soak off gel and some geeks on here have swopped from brisa lite to this.

Just looked at the skycraper and its looks good

Does anyone use the cnd gel bond under shellac?
If so, do you use it instead of the shellac base coat or as well as?
Thanks

I've never used the cnd gel bond under shellac. But from what I've read you would use it first. Then shellac base, colour and top as normal. Maybe call sweet squared and confirm this before you buy it? [emoji4]

Thanks Tracy I will also look at the sky scraper gel [emoji4]

@travey1969 just looked at this! And it looks perfect. No idea it existed! So would I use this instead of my normal shellac base coat? Or as well as?

Not to be the devil's advocate here, but brisa lite has been discontinued. It is an amazing product and it works wonders for those clients with weak nails, but if you can't find it after a month or 2 you're gonna come back here again with the same question.

I had the same problem both with some of my clients, as well as my nails which are weak anyway. So I invested in Harmony Gelish as a 2nd option for those clients. It too is an amazing product, I get easily 3 weeks out of it, and its colour range is by far wider than shellac.

Alternatively, you can use IBX treatment under shellac, which will both make their nails stronger and you will get more time out of shellac.
Either of the 3 will up your price a bit so don't struggle too much about it. Well, you can keep gelish the same price asshellac as it's pretty much just a gel polish, but your clients will come back only once every 3 weeks instead of 2, hence I would have it a bit more than shellac.

Just when you think you have a solution! [emoji85] thank you for telling me this as I had no idea. It doesn't say online so that's naughty! Thank you for your other solutions. I will have a look into the ibx treatment.

Hello everyone,

I'm trained in shellac and been doing shellac for years now. And my clients love it. However there are a few who can't get on with it. It either lifts or chips or their nails seems to weak to wear it.

This is completely normal. No nail coating will suit everyone ;)

Shellac is a nail coating for people who have healthy natural nails. Due to its popularity it's common that a lot of clients think that this is what is best for their nails/lifestyle, but if they have weak , damaged or thin nails shellac is not a good option and a stronger coating such as Gel or L&P will suit them better.

I do not bother with a different gel polish for clients with tricky nails, often this is just a temporary fix, it may work in the short term but after a while if nails are not suitable no gel polish will last and the nails will be damaged in the process. If they need more strength I recommend Gel or L&P.

If their nails need just a little help, using a coat of shellac base coat, then one coat of CND Original Top Coat will give a little added strength without the need to invest in an entire new system.

Also if clients nails a deteriorating during wear this is a sign that they are not following aftercare advice ;) My clients roll their eyes at me at the mention of solar oil they are so sick of hearing about it !! [emoji23][emoji23][/QUOTE]

Hi Noreen, can you clarify please, you do base coat, original top coat, 2 coats of colour, top coat? I've not heard that before. When you do the original top coat after the base do you do 2 mins cure? This could be the answer I need for one of my clients. x

Same for me.

Ive been looking at the IBX treatment.

Hi Noreen, can you clarify please, you do base coat, original top coat, 2 coats of colour, top coat? I've not heard that before. When you do the original top coat after the base do you do 2 mins cure? This could be the answer I need for one of my clients. x

Yes you would cure all layers :)

So apply base coat, cure for 10 seconds
Apply Original Top coat , Cure
Colour coat , Cure
Colour Coat, Cure
Top Coat of your choice , Cure

Hi I have exactly the same problem however I just invested in the Cnd led machine and worried if I change to gelish will my Cnd machine cure it

Thank you for that Noreen. [emoji1]

Latest posts

Back