Stronger nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoseley07

Reaction score
Hey all, just popped across from the hair geek. Really need some help for caring for my nails!

Basically as im a hairdresser, I am forever washing colours off and my hands and nails get stained very easily from the dye! Especially when working with black dye!

Only recently I have started wearing nail varnish constantly to cover the stains, removing it and re applying when it starts to chip.

My nails now are so flimsy! I literally have layers peeling off and they can bend really easy.

What can I do or put on to get my nails becoming strong? Are they in this condition because I'm not giving my nails a break from varnish or the acetone? I just have clear hardening polish at the moment but unsure if this is harming them too?

Please help, would be so grateful for advise x

Last edited by a moderator:
My obvious answer would be to wear gloves. They do make latex/powder free gloves. Otherwise:

Is this gel/shellac/polish?
How often are you changing the polish/shellac/gel?
When you remove it, are you using a cuticle pusher to remove the "stuff"? I know I use one, VERY GENTLY to remove a small, stubborn spot as scraping with the pusher has been known to cause your problem.

Yes, using acetone frequently can do this to your nails. Use non-acetone.

Other than that,these ladies recommended a product called IBX. Perhaps look it up and see?

My beauty teacher at college recommended Mavala nail strengthener to me as my nails are currently bending and peeling and breaking. It comes in a little glass bottle with a red lid and its a blue liquid that soaks into your nails. You put it on a couple of times a week until they get better. I only bought it yesterday and used it once so i cant comment on how good it is yet!

Nail strengthener works for me.

For a non professional product I highly recommend Mavala Nail Harder it's amazing and the bottle lasts ages. They did sell them in boots but that might have changed.
X

Thanks everyone for advise :) I'll have a look for that stuff now

Also lots of cuticle oil will help x

Just bought some mavala nail hardener and protector so will see how it goes 😄

Latest posts

Back