Stuck and dont know what to do regarding moving forward with my business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobileharmonyxx

Reaction score
I had a meeting with my business advisor, who wasnt best pleased with me. He said that my mobile therapy business should be full time, and earning a wage. I am neither, my motivation and self confidence has lacked for along time. In my heart I want to work self employed but unsure which way to go regarding it, as he said starting from scratch again.

He did give me some information to go, leaflet drop, networking groups, etc, etc, but my self confidence is holding me back from doing anything. Its not good situation.

I have a web site, but its much use as no use, due to having no publicity from it.

I am also ten weeks pregnant, so unsure if I go for a rented room, would it worth my while.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

take little steps, and try to achieve too much at once.
Draw up a list of things to do (I love lists) to promote your business.
Aim to tick one thing off a day/week.

If you don't want to go out trudging the streets, then try and get some friends to put posters up in their work place or local post office/newsagents.

Your biz advisor is an advisor, he is giving you advice from a purely business point of view.

Try and achieve little and often and not to look too much at the bigger picture.

IMO mobile therapy is extremely hard to get a full time wage out of. I gave up on mobile, I hated it.

IMO what does this mean? thanks, it was a bit hard, I will work on the advice, maybe mobile isnt me either. I feel in my heart that to rent a room, is the way forward. What about my pregnancy, would people be put off this, or does it not work this way??

Don't give up. I am mobile full time and earn 4 times what I used to earn in a salon. I have been doing it for two years now and it did take time to build up clients but once you reach a certain number they seem to breed more clients!

Just make sure that when you do a treatment you make it so nice that no one else's can compare to it! e.g make treatments longer than salon treatments, offer extra massage in facials.

At the beginning there were some weeks where I only had one or two clients but I was just honest with my clients and asked them to tell their friends about me as I had gaps to be filled.

Also keep your prices high enough that two or three bookings will cover a days wages, this way you need fewer clients to make a decent days wage.

Make sure all your price lists look professional and that towels and bedding are clean and fresh looking. Always leave a few price lists with every client to give to their friends.

If there is anything you would like advise on in particular please post it on this thread so we can help you.

It is still possible for your business to be a success. :hug:

Don't give up. I am mobile full time and earn 4 times what I used to earn in a salon. I have been doing it for two years now and it did take time to build up clients but once you reach a certain number they seem to breed more clients!

Just make sure that when you do a treatment you make it so nice that no one else's can compare to it! e.g make treatments longer than salon treatments, offer extra massage in facials.

At the beginning there were some weeks where I only had one or two clients but I was just honest with my clients and asked them to tell their friends about me as I had gaps to be filled.

Also keep your prices high enough that two or three bookings will cover a days wages, this way you need fewer clients to make a decent days wage.

Mixed views, I love the idea of treats extra bit during treatments, I only have done this once, who was a holiday maker. Where has my care gone, regarding my work, I wonder. More to ponder about.

I think I need to get a confidence check up to date, and start kicking myself regarding when it comes to my business.

Thanks.:hug:

why not arrange to meet a geek and swap ideas?
Its surprising how enthusiastic you can get when you meet up with a geek.

Hi First of all do not give yourself a hard time. I do not know all your situation and how long you have been mobile but I think Weezie has the right idea if you are going to stick with it. If I remember you put a post on regarding having clients from home - a combination of this whilst pregnant may help you, less stressful clients coming to you.

It may be best to rent after your baby is born, so many things can crop up and I would advise waiting until afterwards when you can sort childcare out etc and get over it all.

Take stock and look at your treatments, advertising, website etc and see if any improvements can be made. Last of all it takes a good while to build a solid base and when I was much younger it used to dent my self confidence that it did not happen more quickly. Remember clients respond to someone who is upbeat and positive with a love of what they do. :)

I wonder why it is showing 6 replies, has some of the posts been deleted, as there isnt 6??

Dont take on any big commitments until babys born as you may re-evaluate your life!

Mobiles tough! Its also hard to motivate yourself. (sorry stating obvious).

Look at old ppls homes. If you ask for a room one day a week then you can offer the oldies a mani/pedi or mini facial etc. Charge about £10 for a half hour treatment and ensure you ask that you get at least 4 bookings before you come. I find this really popular and you can get a few homes in on the act. I donate 10% of earnings to the home for charity.

Look at ways to target areas where salons cannot. such as disabled clients etc. Also try ringing around salons and ask if you can rent a room one or two days a week off them, then at least your not fully commited to a paying a weeks rent etc when your on maternity leave.

Thanks for that number1kitty, some useful information to go on. I will look into searching it out.

Latest posts

Back