Studying Beauty Level 2 options after (home based salon, rent a chair?) please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxjadey

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

My names Jade> Im new to the site. ive recently started a level 2 beauty course and im trying to think to the future. I research jobs every few weeks and most want level 2 & 3 with experience. Which I obviously wont have. Im still deciding what to do when I finish level 2. whether to go on to do level 3 or to do an artificial nail course, gelish course and taning courses or to do level 3? What do you think. Personally I think level 3 massage and electrical facial is going to be beneficial if I want to join a salon/spa ect and nails will be more If I want to be home based and could also get a job in a nail salon (nails are my passion) but I want to be realistic to where I will get work.

Ideally I want to work from home and if this is the case. Have you all had success? I live in derby a slightly poor area but I don't know anyone here really as im from London. Im ready to put the hard work in and leaflet drop, make website ect but im quite scared nothing will come of this... if I do decide to try and work from home (set up room in house) id need to start getting beds, adjustable chairs, products, decorate room now as im on a low budget and is going to be expensive and take time. Im just scared that if I put all this effort and money in I wont get any customers as I don't know anyone in the area. What was your experience with this? can it work? Im ready to do low prices ect to get customers in and then competitive prices once im more established? DO you think it will work should I even contemplate the idea? or stick with trying to find a job in the salon. If that's the case what route of education/course would you suggest?

The other option is renting a room but again you need money upfront. Any advice?

The other option is to try and find work in a salon but how do I go about that if they all want experience?

I love beauty I enjoy every aspect of it and ive gone back to college whilst my little girl is young and I have time off. So that when she start school I can have a career in an industry I love.

Like I mentioned I have little funds behind me but will try to save a buy as I go alone if I was took take the route of homebased beautician.

Please give me your thoughts, advice and ideas everything's welcome.

If you need more in for ask away.

Id just really appreciate advice from people who have been there or who are even in the industry.

Thanks in advance

Jade
xxx

Hi Jade,

I too am studying for my beauty Level 2 (mature student) but I also have my own business that I started in april last year. I do predominantly nails, but also brows and I want to add on a few other things.

I started with a room in a salon as I don't really know many people in this area either. That has helped me greatly. It will be different for everyone though.

Will you be doing a placement? Have you researched businesses around the area that you are? What do you really want to do? Most of the younger students on my course want to work in a spa. I could think of nothing worse, but it suits them. Have you looked into that?

If you have insurance, by all means start to gather some clients. But don't just go for low prices to start with. Have a look around the biz forum for threads on this. It doesn't pay. Do quality work at a good price.

There is lots of info on this site, use the search button to look up for more info. I hope someone else will be along to help you further.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back