Stumbling block with course - can anyone help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkangel

Reaction score
Hi! Have not been posting for a while as I have finally made a conscious effort to get on and finish my EN acrylic course (which I have had for some months). I have been making good progress, but have now come across a particular stumbling block which is really getting me down.

When I am doing a No 6 nail, I manage to blend the tip OK - the bit I struggle with is the sides. Where the tip meets the natural nail, I seem to get a 'nick' which could easily get caught and break after I have streamlined the sides. I've tried both number 1 and number 2 tips and have got through so many nails, but just can't seem to get it. I have phoned EN who were very willing to help, but tbh, trying to describe it over the phone is pretty tricky. They suggested I use a wider tip but number 1 is the widest tip. I just am not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I use the number 1 or the number 2 tip?

Please help - I am so keen to finish the course, but am starting to lose heart as I am just making the same mistake and getting nowhere fast.

if anyone who has done the course (or anyone who hasn't) I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I would definitely use a classroom based course next time, but as I have got the course and paid for it, I want to see it through. I can then use it as a starting point for future (tutor and classroom based) training.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

:cry:

Hi! Have not been posting for a while as I have finally made a conscious effort to get on and finish my EN acrylic course (which I have had for some months). I have been making good progress, but have now come across a particular stumbling block which is really getting me down.

When I am doing a No 6 nail, I manage to blend the tip OK - the bit I struggle with is the sides. Where the tip meets the natural nail, I seem to get a 'nick' which could easily get caught and break after I have streamlined the sides. I've tried both number 1 and number 2 tips and have got through so many nails, but just can't seem to get it. I have phoned EN who were very willing to help, but tbh, trying to describe it over the phone is pretty tricky. They suggested I use a wider tip but number 1 is the widest tip. I just am not sure what I am doing wrong. Should I use the number 1 or the number 2 tip?

Please help - I am so keen to finish the course, but am starting to lose heart as I am just making the same mistake and getting nowhere fast.

if anyone who has done the course (or anyone who hasn't) I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I would definitely use a classroom based course next time, but as I have got the course and paid for it, I want to see it through. I can then use it as a starting point for future (tutor and classroom based) training
Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

:cry:
It maybe that you are filing from underneath and taking too much off your lower arch, read Geegs tutorial on finishing. This will give you a better understanding.
David

send a nail into them , wraped in a bit of tissue in an envelope, and ask them what they think,
they dont mind atall and will ring you back as soon as they get it, at least they will know what you are talking about!!!
id love to help as i did the n course, but its that long agao now i cant remember which nail is which ( number wise lol)
hth

Hi I have recently passed my en gel course. is the no. 6 nail the fairly large one? i cant quite remember, Are you using enough glue? could it be a part of the tip that is not adhered properley then when you blend it creates a hole/nick? I had major probs with the no 13 :( . Don't lose heart you can do it. :hug:

Hi yes, the no 6 is the largish one. I am finding this easier to practice on than the no 13 which I too, had problems with. Think the glue amount is fine - just I can't seem to get my streamlining right. I think I'm filing too much off the sides, thus leaving this 'nick'. The lower arch, when I look from the side, isn't a flush line, if you see what I mean?!

Try using the yellow file its not as harsh ,or send a nail in to ess nails as suggested or upload a photo if you can so we can get a better idea.

When u fit the tip does the well match perfectly to the free edge of the nail?

If it doesn't and you are blending its going through the bit of the well that has no free edge under it thus causing a nick

HTH

Rachel

If it doesn't and you are blending its going through the bit of the well that has no free edge under it thus causing a nick

HTH

Rachel
This is what I was thinking too but was having difficulty wording it! Don't give up, you'll get there.

Do you know, I think this might well be the problem. Will have a go again tomorrow and make sure I check this particularly.

I think I will also send a couple of nails to EN to ask their advice and to help put my mind at rest.

Thank you so much for all your help guys - and for taking the time to reply. :hug:

Glad to help.

Let us know how you get on.

Rachel xx

Latest posts

Back